Sysadmin Mega Thread

:thinking: like what?

For the most part I donā€™t pay attention to the issues. There were a few people having a hissy fit about some changes but itā€™s a complete waste of time to get caught up in that.

Weā€™ve got another big flurry of FreeBSD changes coming in now as weā€™re getting OpenZFS in shape to be vendored as the ZFS implementation in FreeBSD. Exciting times

Right, someone who hasnā€™t contributed anything getting upset about changes we made that unquestionably were improvements in every way. Itā€™s too draining to get caught up in comments from the peanut gallery.

No need to step down from your high horse to talk to us lowly peasants, I was curious as well. But he said ā€œIā€™ve seen some funny stuffā€ and you said ā€œlike what?ā€ ā€“ The above strikes me as funny in more than one way. The fact that professional software developers are spending ample time on the subjects above is laughable.

But you do you.

1 Like

I assumed he was talking about something serious, the random squabbling didnā€™t even come to mind at first. There is so much more interesting stuff going on.

I pretty much immediately unwatch that kind of stuff when it pops up in my notifications and get back to work, as I expect most people who are actively working on things do. I reviewed the code changes and they were legitimate improvements. The reaction to it is simply harmful on the other hand.

tl;dr Iā€™ve received thousands of github notifications and quickly forget about the ones Iā€™m not working on. There isnā€™t time to be interested in them all

I was gonna go with the ā€œavoid use of ā€˜child gangsā€™ in codeā€ issue.

Makes me laugh.

The dude who created it was obviously trolling, but the maintainer who tackled it couldnā€™t see that.

1 Like

I know the feeling.

2 Likes

OOF

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2020-13777

3 Likes

I think you mean Gnu + Oof

2 Likes

Gnu/Oof

2 Likes

Ganoof

3 Likes

Gnoā€™s not oof?

Is it common practice and/or frowned upon to put some of your personality into a change of a config and into the comments for it? For example using your initials for a field value but make up an acronym that makes sense for it in the comments? Kinda injecting ā€œI was hereā€ or an inside joke but not overly overt?

So long as itā€™s not a complete oddball and it really does make sense in context, then I donā€™t see any problem with that.

Like this?

# safety first
set -euo pipefail

Thatā€™s my unofficial shell script signature.

1 Like

Kind of, thats just in the comments, but Iā€™m making a fieldā€™s name (acronym form) from a Splunk coalesce kind of an inside joke in-of-itself. If someone asks what the acroynm stands for there is a ā€˜coverā€™ version of what it breaks down into.

You are my favorite, btw.

For those unawares
https://vaneyckt.io/posts/safer_bash_scripts_with_set_euxo_pipefail/

2 Likes

Anyone done the math on pcie 4.0 HBA where its worth going up to one? I am tempted to buy another HBA but not sure if 4.0 is gonna be worth it. Ill prob start doing research but figured someone here might know already.
Do they have cards that do Sata/Sas and also can have u.2 nvme drives connected to it?

"For a 8 port HBA with 8 disks connected this means
with mechanical disks around 8 x 250 MB/s = around 2 GB/s (min pci-1 x8 )
with 6G Sata SSDs around 8 x 500 MB/s = around 4 GB/s (min pci-2 x8 )
with 12G SAS SSD around 8 x 1 GB/s = around 8 GB/s (min pci-3 x8 )
"

So pretty much worst case with a 16i you need 8 lanes of 2.0 or 3.0 if SSDs instead of rust. Not sure if there is a nice card that can mix with nvme being connected (Still digging, havent started that info search yet tho)

Might be the solution (9500 is a thin but god damn expensive for 16i)

Probably look for a 9400 16i for my upgrade

Let me rephrase this in a more simple way.

I never want to deploy a system twice. It doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s at a different location, or context. I simply want to say to another admin - read the readme, update the yaml file and run this process.

Sounds like you want ansible.

4 Likes