Sysadmin Mega Thread

I though that it was common practice to not use CGI with Apache anymore. Am I mistaken that that feature is turned off by default now?

1 Like

That would make sense. I haven’t used apache for a long time though, so idk. I’m sure many installations have cgi enabled though.

I have not converted to nginx because I am an old and stuck in my ways.

1 Like

IE lots of old printers web gui

1 Like

Well I guess I need to turn of the web server on my Epson Work Force printer.

2 Likes

This reminds me of a video I saw recently about an 8yo using an automatic rifle at a gun range (yes there were fatalities).

Make the jump, you’ll enjoy it, the config does not have to be complex (unless you want it to be), and as a side effect you will be pushing back against many geriatric conditions (like Alzhiemers for example - yeah who would have thought continuing to learn things would stop mental degradtion due to old age).

As far as I know its non-addictive, but you may find yourself using it to do new and wounderous things, as I did:

Cheers

Paul

1 Like

I’m sorry, what?

3 Likes

Yeah, I remember hearing about this some years back. You know… 'merica!

I meant how is this relevant…

2 Likes

Yeah let’s avoid using tragic events as hyperbole to describe web server vulnerabilities. There’s just a high probability of it derailing the conversation.

2 Likes

TIL about Zinc Whiskers

https://www.cableorganizer.com/learning-center/articles/zinc-whiskers.html

2 Likes

Honestly reads like a cosmic rays concern.

But I guess it makes sense.

2 Likes

AKA Gremlins

2 Likes

Maybe more concerned that I’m breathing a bunch of zinc?

1 Like

Have you or a loved one been diagnosed with zincothelioma? You may be entitled to compensation.

3 Likes

Details… Details.

Me not understanding DNS part 7045:

I’ve got a corporate VPN that we have a DNS server behind. I’m not in charge of it, but it normally works fine. We have a TLD for our internal stuff, let’s call it corporate.nu. We own the domain and connecting to it worked a few months ago, but since I switched over to a opnsense router, I’ve had an issue where when I try to connect to an address on that doamin, DNS resolves to my home gateway’s IP. Let’s say our jenkins server is at ci.dev.company.nu and I put that addr into the browser. It resolves to ci.dev.company.nu.metalspork.xyz which is what I’ve set up my local domain to be on my home network. I’m not entirely sure why this is happening or how to debug this.

DNS is yet another black box for me sometimes.

Using systemd-resolved, it looks like I’m not getting the DNS server I need from openconnect. :confused:

That would probably do it. Yep, somewhat related, but not fixing it…

Followup:

systemd-resolved and vpnc are fighting over who gets to symlink /etc/resolv.conf

Fuck yeah, this one will be fun to watch.

2 Likes
chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

Turn away and never ever think about it again.

you’re not running you’re own dns?