Sysadmin Mega Thread

trying not to derail your question

My lab only costs me $30 a month so if you wanna go havsies we can splurge to get business fiber :yay:

4 Likes

is the cost of internet included?

Yeah, mine is $450 flat for 1/4 rack (11u) with 50/50 and power, although they’ve never put anyone else in the rack so I guess they’re expecting me to expand at some point. Depending on the alleged lower rate I’m getting, I might bump bandwidth to 100/100.

Technically in the contract there’s a limit on the amperage, but they’ve never enforced it or it’s never been an issue. 10 E5670s eat a lot of juice though.

So you buy/build the hardware and then they mount it?

They can do that for you for $$ but I did it myself. They thought it was cute I showed up in a van with my own dolly.

They have server lifts and kvm carts scattered around the floor that you can grab and use.

1 Like

X-posting for visibility.

I can hook you up if you don’t mind janky rural Idaho infrastructure. My buildout is a few months out, but I would entertain offers.

1 Like

So yesterday, I asked the DC sales rep for a quote for renewing my contact as-is as well as upgrading to 100/100. He said the base cost would be cheaper going forward. Today he emails me the 100/100 quote for $55 more per month than I’m paying now. I ask for the 50/50 quote to compare. He sends me a new 100/100 quote, now only $25 more than what I’m paying now.

I emailed him “are we negotiating? I just want to compare 50/50 vs 100/100.” Let’s see where it goes…

@judahnator what do you have access to in Idaho (dm me if you’d like)?

2 Likes

I see this guy plays hard ball

1 Like

Yeah, the bandwidth bump would only be a quality of life improvement, not something that would earn me more money directly, so unless it’s a $5-$10 increase, I’m going to stick with 50/50.

1 Like

watch, he’ll lower it to $15 now

1 Like

Somewhat likely I’ll never hear back and a new sales rep will reach out to me 4 months from now.

1 Like

You coloing out of Joes servers ‘n’ feed?

Also, if you’re at all suspicious, just call their front sales line and verify if the guy works there, and what his number is.

1 Like

That’s different from the last datacenter I worked with. It was for work, not for me. Anyway, they were willing to provide as many gigabit Ethernet ports as you wanted to use and/or link aggregate. Then they charged you for monthly usage. It was up to you yourself to limit and shape your bandwidth usage.

1 Like

Am I supposed to know what my power draw is? I mean I could figure the theoretical maximum, but idk about actual. He’s trying to sell me on more amperage. I don’t think the PDU in the rack is smart to the point of limiting aggregate amperage over multiple outlets…

1 Like

total up all the PSUs?
get a kill-a-watt?

Yeah that’s what I meant by theoretical max.

Their PDU does have a readout on it so they could tell me if I’m using to much. I just don’t know why I’d upgrade the power when I haven’t needed.

1 Like

…aaaaand it’s $30 more expensive. Big surprise. Apparently I’ve been using 15A this whole time and only paying for 10A though so maybe I’ve been cheating the system the past few years.

In other news, the Google Workspace reseller that one of my clients uses was audited and is trying to charge them back sales tax going back to 2016. Oof.

2 Likes

Does anyone use something like this that isn’t $650? Was looking at SSH certificates and thought an HSM would be nice for signing the keys.

Given a client application on a private LAN which needs connection to an application backend located on another private LAN AND the application backend MUST host it’s own security certificate: is placing a reverse proxy that is directly connected to the internet, which resides on the second private lan AND configuring it to proxy protocol to the application port a common way of achieving a secure connection from the client front end to the application backend?