Sysadmin Mega Thread

Anyone got ideas for how to do this?

2 Likes

I dont.

do you plan on having multiple users on your proxmox?

Not really, but my usual way of working is to give a machine a local admin user with a random name and crazy password for initial config and recovery and then plug it into samba AD and just use my domain login for ease/continuity/whatever.

But yeah, also allows me to grant access to someone else on the domain instead of giving them the local admin user credentials.

Can’t do this all of the time of course. Network devices typically just have local admin users and FreeNAS only allows root to login to the web GUI (which I find pretty annoying tbh).

i usually default to doing local accounts that can authenticate via kerberos to AD/LDAP.

That way I can still control stuff easily (for me)

That sounds similar.

anyone know what this has to do with redash?

Nothing directly?

someone at my work recently asked me to build a centos or rhel system so they could setup mcafee SEIM … they setup docker and docker complied from/with redash

Paying for any licenses already such as SolarWinds?

I drank the Splunk kool-aid, so I highly recommend it if a) environment small and slow enough that the free license suffices b) if the company can swing it, get a license.

Then there is ELK- its free but requires more administration to setup IMO.

Has there ever been an appliance based on OpenBSD? Seems like a obvious choice for a gateway, but maybe the support cycle is too short to be practical.

So I’m playing with a tape drive I eventually need to put into production. I wrote a few gigs to it with tar and then issued an erase command… apparently erase means overwrite the entire tape with no way of cancelling it (other than rebooting which I can’t do atm).

Damn it. Hopefully it’ll be done tomorrow.

1 Like

Remember that tapes can only be written to a few times. An erase command counts as a write.

1 Like

I have a “practice tape”.

In other news, I’m running some cable tonight. Client doesn’t like to see messy cables or cable trays or J hooks… So this is what I ended up with:

Happy SYSADMIN DAY

https://sysadminday.com/

5 Likes
1 Like

I’ve repaired an AIX box before with cat (basically cat /etc/fstab, then cat >/etc/fstab to fix an error).

A muppet had overnight edited the fstab file, then the box failed to reboot properly, and there was no editor available.

Of course, said application support vendor did it

• on friday night
  • with no heads up
  • from remote
  • and no phone support on the weekend to call

Was my first exposure to AIX :smiley: Was working on a 24*7 mine site operation as on site IT… we needed that box working to process warehouse stock, raise POs, etc.

3 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

In other news, i’m about to embark on policy-based routing adventures.

Just migrated our Steelhead cache setup at hQ from WCCP to PBR so i can do PBR on the core switch for multi-homing traffic routing decisions (as cisco do not support the use of WCCP and PBR on the same device).

Network really becoming fairly complex (well for my standards) now. In HQ alone - 2 OSPF areas, BGP, PBR, caching, IPSEC tunnels, L2TP over IPSEC, 3 WAN links, etc…

2 Likes

Go go linux multi-monitor support. Check that clock :smiley:

3 Likes

Lol. The “4” is missing on the left monitor in the number “14”

2 Likes