Sysadmin Mega Thread

I’ve had a few Linux game problems here and there with Proton versions or installing the right set of Vulkan libraries, but nothing that GPU monitoring would have helped.

1 Like

My offsite backups are now 5TB in size. Time to prune them back a bit…

fires up linode instance for processing

fry

Been trying to figure out lancache and it’s very … uh … not…

Well i’m not sure i can find words for LanCache. It’s great in concept but, MY GOD the installation AND the manual assumes sooo many things. I’m not sure it can accommodate storing cache on seperate drive or share!?

anyone here think they could help me figure out LanCache?

…going to RTFM yet again…

Previously called steamcache?

Yeah they changed the name.

have you looked at the guide here on the forum?

2 Likes

@nx2l since podman is basically 1:1 to docker do you think it would be possible to use it for GitLab runners?

I am unfamiliar with this term

It’s for their built in CI/CD pipeline. A runner can be configured to use docker, so what I am assuming is they could theoretically also use podman.

should be… i did notice the restart option names changed coming from docker to podman, but otherwise I just replaced docker with podman in the command

As long as you mount /var/run/docker.sock, probably.

There’s also this guide I found from a quick google:

https://tech.immerda.ch/2019/10/gitlab-ci-with-podman/

Putting them threads to work :mechanical_arm:

Server is doing F@H in a virtual machine allocated 8 cores, and the rest is doing a H264 encode.

@oO.o

That heatsink is doing a good job keeping this beast cool. The fans are currently at 38%.

2 Likes

Question for those familiar with flash memory. I cooked the SLOG and cache SSDs on my zpool this week. They’re down to 50MB/s sequential write. Can someone recommend a high-endurance replacement either 240 or 480GB? Ideally, I’d like to see somewhere around 1GB/s sequential. I also have no idea what I’m willing to pay since I don’t really know exactly what I’m getting myself into… I know this isn’t really the ideal amount of info, the issue is that I’m pretty out of the game lately.

what were the old slog/cache devices?

how old were they?

I use an optane 905p… its been a few months since I last checked the smartmon data… but its over a year old now…

1 Like

I second optane for endurance and speed

1 Like

SATA, SAS, M.2, or addin card?

970 evos 250GB each

2ish years?

either m.2 or PCIe. Preferably PCIe.

Almost 17000 hours
available spare 100%
1.5 billion write commands

2 Likes

Hmmm, that’s impressive. But damn, I wasn’t hoping to spend that much…

I guess high-wear-level flash is expensive though. :confused:

1 Like

The title of this just caught my eye…

1 Like