Sysadmin Mega Thread

It’s for their built in CI/CD pipeline. A runner can be configured to use docker, so what I am assuming is they could theoretically also use podman.

should be… i did notice the restart option names changed coming from docker to podman, but otherwise I just replaced docker with podman in the command

As long as you mount /var/run/docker.sock, probably.

There’s also this guide I found from a quick google:

https://tech.immerda.ch/2019/10/gitlab-ci-with-podman/

Putting them threads to work :mechanical_arm:

Server is doing F@H in a virtual machine allocated 8 cores, and the rest is doing a H264 encode.

@oO.o

That heatsink is doing a good job keeping this beast cool. The fans are currently at 38%.

2 Likes

Question for those familiar with flash memory. I cooked the SLOG and cache SSDs on my zpool this week. They’re down to 50MB/s sequential write. Can someone recommend a high-endurance replacement either 240 or 480GB? Ideally, I’d like to see somewhere around 1GB/s sequential. I also have no idea what I’m willing to pay since I don’t really know exactly what I’m getting myself into… I know this isn’t really the ideal amount of info, the issue is that I’m pretty out of the game lately.

what were the old slog/cache devices?

how old were they?

I use an optane 905p… its been a few months since I last checked the smartmon data… but its over a year old now…

1 Like

I second optane for endurance and speed

1 Like

SATA, SAS, M.2, or addin card?

970 evos 250GB each

2ish years?

either m.2 or PCIe. Preferably PCIe.

Almost 17000 hours
available spare 100%
1.5 billion write commands

2 Likes

Hmmm, that’s impressive. But damn, I wasn’t hoping to spend that much…

I guess high-wear-level flash is expensive though. :confused:

1 Like

The title of this just caught my eye…

1 Like

I saw a few of the 100gb dc4801x u.2s around…
(I believe theres a m.2 version of it also)
Under 300

But rated for higher endurance

1 Like

I’ve been told you don’t want the M.2 Optane drives. They overheat too easily especially under heavy write load.

Can anyone recommend FOSS software for Linux that works as a software repository?

I was considering using apache with .htaccess, but I think there’s a better way.

It would be nice if it had built in tools for client account management. That way different clients could have different accounts / keys.

Ultimately, I’d like to put software on these repositories and have servers fetch software from them using automation.

I hope that description is helpful.

cotton

wew lad.

3.5 hours later, demo environment has been rebuilt.

Things that went wrong:

• vault wouldn’t unseal from snapshot. Had to rebuild multiple times.
  • certain secrets didn’t carry over
  • prometheus is a bitch
  • zookeeper is terribly designed.
  • kafka is the slowest program I’ve ever experienced.

Deploying a new environment usually takes 1.5 hours.

Optane?

Edit: beaten by a lot. But yeah optane spec/etc screams “slog device” to me.

Is this like linux packages, deb, rpms, etc? Random stuff that is just downloaded and run manually in a script? Windows software?

1 Like

In Linux/Raspian is there anyway to encrypt a mounted external HDD that already has data on it? All I’m finding is that I have to nuke whats already on the drive, then encrypt and put data back on it.

That would be correct AFAIK.

1 Like