Switching Fully Over

install literally anything

u rite

As i said before. snaps, unity and amazon BS so its made unwilling to try ubuntu at all again.

Hence why im going to try solus budgie

1 Like

A solid pick

Nothing wrong with that choice as long as you like budgie

I cant fault cannonical a lot for their choices. At the end of the day they are still a business and need to send out salaries to devs. While i understand your sentiment, the underlying software infrastructure of ubuntu is still solid and software support (via online resources, forums, guides, etc…) is literally second to none. Going ubuntu based may be more sensible.

Regarding rolling releases, rolling is good until it breaks and you try to fix it. If this happens in a critical time and you need a computer NOW, you are screwed, hence my suggestion to stay on LTS or maybe Debian. As an end user, you really dont need the latest underlying software infrastructure. You need a solid one that doesnt break. What you actually want is latest app for which flatpak or snaps can provide for you.

DE is the icing on top of your software/OS cake. You wont know what flavor you want until youve tried it all, hence the suggestion to distrohop. Or maybe DE/WM hop.

I used Manjaro as a replacement for my parent’s laptops. Both nearly 70 yo., so far I got very few complaints from both who never used Linux before.

Just gonna plug arch here (inb4 gentoo funbois appear) :slight_smile: but its actually pretty solid distro [smilyface]

Jokes aside, any distro is good distro when you test it and adapt to your needs, don’t care for ui, since every distro has every ui ever made. By the way learn to use shell on one and its just about few minor differences on others when you get stuck in “recovery” (maintance) mode :stuck_out_tongue:

How is it going?

1 Like

I had the same issues with Ubuntu, which led me distro hopping for a couple of years. I ultimately settled on something Debian-based, like Ubuntu, and Linux MX is the one. It comes with all of the prebuilt support that Ubuntu Debian does, but lets me mess around with it similar to Arch. For linux veterans, the best thing is that systemd is optional. The default boot option excludes it completely. For linux newbies, MX is ubuntu without the bloat and tacked on shill software. It is fast, easy, expandable.