Switching Fully Over

Good morning.

I have been using linux on and off for a few years now and with all the changes to W10… i want it gone 100%

my issue is that i never know what distro/DE to go with and after i time and sulk back to windows and get more annoyed with myself because i didnt switch with it at all.

so here i am asking for advice what can i do/use. my pc is mainly uses for the gaming and most of my games run great via Lutris/Proton so thats a none issue. and anything i cant get to work via linux. ill have on my ps4 so windows/dual booting isnt needed.

Thanks for your time reading and i look forward to seeing what people think.

(P.S I have a complete dislike for *buntu and will not use it at all)

1 Like

Debian KDE is a very good choice. But you’re going to need to install all the non-free codecs and drivers on your own. Fedora is also very well supported and working. If you want something bleeding edge but manageable Manjaro is what I’ll go with.

1 Like

not much to add to the comment above except for:

use fedora, you’ll like it

I know when i last timed fedora i hated vanilla gnome and nvidia refused to work for me using rpmfusion

the one i was looking at was Solus KDE or Budgie.

KDE i just hate GTK and Qt apps looking so bad and not matching

Solus budgie is nice. Already took it for a spin. Only problem is lacking software on official repositories.

Dono if there is any packages not in the repos which i would need but i could use flatpak

then go ahead

there isn’t much you could lose except for time

Solus isn’t bad, you’ll see

Just distrohop around until you understand what you hate or love about a distro. Its all fair. Just make sure to separate your /home directory to another partition so that it makes distrohopping less painful. Also keep a list of your favorite/most used programs so that you can easily copy paste a “sudo apt install app1 app2 app3 etc” particularly for debian based distros.

For my use case (light productivity and gaming via Steam) I’ve settled on Pop_OS 18.04 LTS with HWE kernel then install then run most my app via flatpaks or AppImages. Its stable and has the latest drivers and latest apps as well. The downside is I dont have that latest GNOME version (waiting for that on 20.04 LTS this summer).

KDE is nice looking, flexible in its customizability and all but GNOME has more consistency in its UI/UX. If you’re lazy like me, and you dont tinker much and stay on the default settings for the most part, GNOME may be for you.

Mint with Cinnamon DE is nice distro. Should fit well in your use case.

3 Likes

you’ll surely trigger some people

hahaha love it

I currently run windoors on the desktop cause school autocad bs, but once I get past the need I’ll probably give 20.04 a go on pop also

Or maybe PANTHEON or even CINNAMON, elementary was the best OOB experience I had, but used to hang on me sometimes or bug out the window title part on some programs

1 Like

I can recomend Solus os for you. Your use case seems pretty simillar to mine, Solus will be easy and good ennough but friging fast especially in efi mode.
https://getsol.us is their website. I recomend “Solus Budgie” version of it.

Summary

Distros are a social construct and matter very little. Pick one and go with it. Whichever one comes with the software you like the most is usually what you should install.

5 Likes

Only if you smear it on peoples face in forums. :wink:

For a new user I always point them in the direction of elementary. No one is doing what they are doing and I’d argue they are doing desktop linux a favor.

The store is great, implemented tech is great, design choices, everything. I lovo it. Give it a shot!

Thank you for the answers.

Elementary and stuff on an LTS base wouldn’t be suitable for me as I do run a Ryzen 3rd Gen CPU and I don’t really like messing around with UKUU just to boot into a UX/UI

That’s is why Solus or other rolling releases are an big interest for me.

I’ve run Debian Stretch, Debian Buster, Ubuntu 18.04, FreeBSD 12.x, and CentOS 8 on Ryzen 3rd Gen. Backports exist and it’s a non-issue.

1 Like

same. mint actually had the best compatibility with my new hardware out of the box.

3900x/2080ti no sweat.

On my laptop I had a little bit of wifi woes because of 802.11ax but updating the mainline kernel on mint was easy and I most certainly did not need ukuu.

The LTS kernels get support backported when the newer kernels get pushed out. 2.6 is still getting updated, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone puts in ryzen support.

So really. I’m still lost and confused what to use…

Watch that video by Adubs. Ubuntu is a solid bet. The derivatives from that are often better, but really they’re all the same. I’ve ran software and VMs on Arch, Fedora, CentOS, Ubuntu, and Debian. I have my preference but they’re insignificant to the larger day to day usage. Your preferences will evolve and develop over time. Nothing wrong with Ubuntu.

1 Like