Switching Fully Over

I will never use Ubuntu again sadly

Once bitten twice shy

1 Like

Whatever qualms you have about ubuntu are not likely to be solved by another distro, unless it just a moral decision because you dont like canonical.

Mint, Fedora, Manjaro, all very solid options that I wouldnt hesitate to install on any of my machines.

Desktop environments dont matter too much because they can be switched, or those distros have spins that give you options for desktop environment. The question is what do you actually want in a desktop? Coming from windows, mint cinnamon is going to feel the most similar. KDE is the next obvious choice if you want a windows like layout. If you dont want a windows like layout gnome is solid. MATE is a favorite of mine and is pretty mature. Theres no wrong answer here, only personal preference.

Some people swear by Pop!_OS because of its software availability and up to date kernel.

At the end of the day any distro you pick is likely going to do what you want so pick the one that looks the way you think you’d like out of the box.

Yeah it’s more the push to snaps in stock gnome software. Unity (yes it’s died) and all the Amazon bs.

I know most of them are fixed but it’s the principal

What j want is free of windows but my main issue is because of my Nvidia gpu I freeze a lot on livecds so it because very hard to install them

Then try mint? Its got flatpak instead of snap. Cinnamon is solid. Its a top notch experience even on modern hardware.

1 Like

Then throw a dart at a board of distros and pick one.

inb4 gentoo

R.I.P. in Peace.

So my options are solusz elementary (still unsure) and manjaro (aur is good)

Solus 4.1 is 10/10

A lot of people speak highly of it for gaming, but I don’t use it for that.

if you really wanna talk distro this conversation can go forever, but basically these are the cons:

solus : own packages, may lack some software

elementary : ubuntu 18.04, lags sometimes

manjaro : a little more prone to breakage than the others

I’ve used all three of them and the appeal is different

Since you’re running from ubuntu try solus, write all of your problems and come back to us and we’ll say if you’ll find peace on another distro or your problem is linux itself

I wouldnt count out fedora as a viable option either.

To me Solus is home.

Fedora (whitout gnome or wayland), Arco linux, Manjaro and MX linux are something i have used alot and liked.

There are so many Ubuntu based and Debian based distro’s out there that they alone can drown you, and make you think you know everything there is to linux. I recomend finding “home” distro, so you always have something to go back to. This main machine is running solely on Solus and i have other machines i usually test other candidates like MX on my laptop and Arch “the_archway” on another and some thing in the house runs ubuntumate,
maybe it’s “almost_smoking_and_firehazard_server”…? :sweat_smile:

I have several medium sized ssd’s to swap os by just “plug in” basis.
Most of my data is on massive storage drives which are not os specific and houses only data, like ISO’s, pics, memes, vids, recordings, drawings, steam library etc.
I usually Just mount them to what ever os i happen to run when i need the data.

To me is Debian. When I stop needing stoopid altocad I’ll try to make it work on my desktop, even if it’s LMDE.

Also OP: debian is solid af

EDIT: debs made me stop distrohopping on my laptop, it’s been a month already and no bootable usb stick has been made

2 Likes

Well my iso has solus budgie on it soooo…

I’ll try that I finish work

1 Like

Nice

I just checked up when i last time returned back to Solus after some Fedora and Arco linux hopping.
It seems i have used same installation now for 8 month.
Ofcourse i have ran secondary os-ssd’s on the machine but those are mainly hours or days long situations, until i’m done with the task i’m using them for.

Cool!

I wish you success!

1 Like

Solus is funny in a way that it’s the only OS where i use software center to install and update stuff. On any other Linux os, i allways do such things in terminal.
Also Solus is the kind of os to me, where it in a way “seps” aside and i rarely even remember i have operating system at all. Just use it.

Debian/rules

2 Likes

What was your issue with ubuntu? Really you should be more looking for a DE than a distro as the DE is really what make the difference in actually using the OS. All distros are the same fundamentally. Most distros have different flavors with different DEs so if you didnt like ubuntu because of the DE, you can always try Kubuntu or Xubuntu. Fedora has this as well in the form of “spins”

1 Like

I agree with above, if the hardware works out of the box and software is sufficiently up to date for your needs then the underlying OS really doesn’t matter so much. Desktop Environment problems can and will nickle and dime people back in to using Windows.

I would look at any major OS that has lots of different spins with various DE’s out of the box (I wouldn’t recommend trying to install a whole DE yourself if you aren’t familiar with said DE) and try different DE’s all on the same base (Debian/Fedora/Arch-based or others). You can always change base later, but distro hopping where you change the DE and underlying OS introduces too many changes at once. I would also just do this in a VM and use whatever you currently have installed as your new OS until you have fleshed out which DE feels best for you. Don’t be afraid to use all customizing options for a DE until you break it, you can always snapshot a VM or nuke it entirely.

Do all of your daily tasks outside of gaming in the VM. If you only toy with a new DE for 5 mins and constantly retreat to your host OS then maybe that is the DE for you. Once you find your favorite DE and can set it up the way you like it from a fresh install in a matter of minutes it is much easier to switch to another OS base with the same DE.

I cant fault him

3 Likes