Switching from Console to PC

There is really good reason for that.

really week CPU...

Really cut down motherboard with no ... nothing.

Crappy case.

i5 4460 + H81 is like 15$ extra. And i am really sorry to say that, but it is way better.

1 Like

I didn't realise the 4460 combo was only $15 more. The reason I went for the 8320e is the downgrade in CPU performance was more than covered up by the increase in GPU performance (he was going for a 370?)

As for the case I'm quite sure he doesn't really need a premium case. The idea is to squeeze as much performance out of his budget as possible. There isn't a lot more you can get for $30.

No idea why I left windows 10 in there when he can get that for $50 from like G2A

It's not about the premium case. It is just, that Core 1000 is really badly designed in general.
Top mounted PSU, no cable management, awful hard drive mounting system, awful airflow...
Deepcool Tesseract - 34$
Enermax Ostrog - 35$
The cover all the vasics with better cable management, better airflow, etc...

best buy has refurb acer 27 inch monitors, dvi and vga only but they are like 110 bucks

the 480 comes out in 20 days. a 220$~ 8g version will give you 980/ti level performance. it will be significantly better then any other gpu in your price range.

also dont use seagate harddrives, they are cheap because they have a higher failure rate then other drives.

No, those are too expensive.

This would depend on whether you have a computer already or not. If you do, then upgrading to Win 10 is free for another month or so. Usually users are recommended to do a reinstall just to work out the bugs and such. If you don't then yeah, unless you want use Linux based operating systems. Lol

No, waiting isn't something a newcomer should do, he's better off buying now.

Im about to build one

Windows 7 is supported until 2020. Windows 10 is the Surveillance State's Golden Goose. No privacy. Hell, With Windows 7, the computer is "Your Computer". With Windows 10, the computer is "This Machine". In other words, With Windows 10, you no longer own the computer.....Microsoft does.

Windows NSA edition......also known as Windows 10.

True its pretty well known that Windows 10 is a surveillance nightmare anyone that has had to install the os knows that. There are other problems with going with windows 7 over windows 10 not just the support schedule last time I checked skylake processors are not supported on windows 7 .

so dont use Skylake. Its not like Skylake really offers any serious benefit over Haswell or Broadwell. Hell, an AMD Carrizo or Excavator core Quad core would be just fine. Plus, there is no need for gamers to get Windows 10. DirectX 12 is not the only player in the game. Vulkan is the direct competitor and if Doom 2016 is anything to go by, a powerful one.

AMD Carrizo isn't going to be supported by windows 7 only windows 10 it doesn’t mean it wont work but you wont have the same support. At least that is from what I'm reading.

1 Like

I think you are thinking of Zen. Carrizo is not a Zen core.

AMD Athlon X4 845 supports Windows 7.

Of course I'm thinking of Zen this is a new build why would someone want to go with such an old cpu when they have the budget for something much newer and significantly more powerful it doesn’t make a lot of sense to limit your self so much just so that you can stay with an older OS.

Carrizo is not OLD. Carrizo is the gen before Zen. That chip came out this year. It uses Excavator Cores not Steamroller or Bulldozer or Piledriver cores. Excavator is the last of the Construction based core names.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113411

No, that's your opinion. And staying with an older OS makes more sense than trying to deal with a new one that you have to reconfigure manually.

Yep, it really doesn't offer much more. And it's a bit more expensive, so you're better off getting the older gen processor and Intel based motherboard series.

I am going to say this now stay the hell away from mint and Lite. "But they are eezy!!!11!" So is manjaro. Its up to date, has the newest tested LTS kernel, and you can actually use the newest GPU drivers on your system. Last I knew mint was using 3.16. 4.6 is the current kernel that is out on full release. Unless you want to use old as hell GPU drivers and get nowhere fast, stay the hell away from mint.

Give it to grandma, not to gamers.

I have been using Manjaro for 7 - 10 days it is the only linux OS that has lasted that long tried ubuntu mint in all there flavours and so far Manjaro has been way better. The help I have received on this forum has been great. I have been a die hard Windows fan since win 95, and I just need to make a few more games work with play on linux and I will only boot into windows when I really need to.
If you are going to leave the Console and go to a Desktop PC then I suggested giving linux a try. And if you really do not like it then you always have windows to go back to.
I feel this is the time to give linux a try every two to three years I would get a version of linux and give it a try, this is the only time that I have stayed on Linux and worked on it.
When the windows fanboys stop using windows then you have to ask yourself how bad is it that they want to leave it. The answer is very bad.

Have a day

1 Like

im kinda partial to Antergos over Manjaro

Have not seen that one.
Will have to give it a look.
Does it have a rolling release?