Success with linux on x86 tablet - Dell Latitude 7210

TL;DR

The Dell Latitude 7210 is a $250 tablet that has almost complete support in Linux. Of note: the front facing and rear cameras both work flawlessly (couldn’t test IR), and the physical smartcard reader also populates and detects card insertion (didn’t have a working smartcard to test with). Also has an extra PCIe slot.

NB: Fingerprint sensor and wireless card reader (NFC) do NOT work.

Background

I’ve been exploring options for an affordable tablet to use for light computing. I specifically searched for x86 tablet options entirely to use Linux. I knew the Linux user experience on tablets was subpar, but I was willing to live with that in exchange for greater ownership of the device that mobile operating systems do not offer.

I started searching for used Surface tablets, but found the hardware support tablet with hit or miss on newer models. Additionally, the prices were still high, even on older models. I also found Linux OEMs make tablets, but are very expensive for low-performance parts. Then I discovered that various PC makers still produce tablets for their business lines. These tablets are often much cheaper for similar performance and, more importantly, are user serviceable. After some searching and bidding on eBay auctions, I ended up purchasing a lot of two (2) Dell Latitude 7210 including keyboard for $150 each (one for me and my partner).

Tablet Specs

CPU i7-10610u
RAM 16GB
SSD 256GB NVME at PCIe 3.0x4
Display 1920x1280 12.3" touchscreen
with stylus support
WLAN Intel AX201

Other details:

  • Two (2) Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • One (1) USB-A 3.2 Gen 1 port
  • 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Micro SD card slot (comes with cover when not in use)
  • SIM tray slot
  • Volume rocker and power button

Linux setup

Dell provides a truly nice recovery utility for reinstalling Windows (complete with drivers), so I used that just for the certainty that I can do things like update BIOS and the firmware of other components. It also gave me a baseline to confirm all systems are working. Once that was done, I moved on to Linux.

I installed Arch linux via archinstall on a live ISO. I wanted disk encryption and secure boot enabled, so I went with a LUKS-encrypted BTRFS filesystem, unified kernel image, and systemd-boot. I used the default GNOME user profile, created a sudoer user, and only installed a couple packages like vim and git. Installation worked flawlessly, and I got to the GNOME desktop no problem. After some additional steps to setup secure boot key signing and TPM2 unlock of the disk (I know this is less secure, but I like the convenience), I began testing hardware.

What worked

Out of the box, GNOME worked great as a tablet UI. Multi-touch gestures worked, including workspace switching, and I was able to launch and navigate firefox entirely via touch. Auto-rotation worked without fail. Screen brightness also worked, and I could control volume via the rocker keys on the side of the tablet. I could also suspend the tablet via the power button. Power profiles were also supported.

Both the front facing webcam and the rear webcam worked out of the box. This is unusual for x86 tablets, whose webcams are missing drivers, but I’m please to say I can take video calls on this tablet without issue. Internal microphones also worked.

Wifi and bluetooth worked out the box. I did not notice any poor performance for either radio.

The magnetic keyboard also worked, including backlight (with adjustable levels), touchpad, and posture detection (keyboard disabled itself when folded behind the tablet). GNOME also disabled auto-rotation when it detected a physical keyboard.

The Dell PN579x Active Stylus also worked, and I was able to take notes in xournal++ with good palm-rejection. Two of the three buttons on the stylus worked, but the third one did not seem to send any events to the tablet. I was able to pair the stylus via bluetooth, but only one button was remappable. On windows, I could rebind 3 buttons to different functions. Still, even remapping one button was nice, and the other functioned as the eraser toggle.

The smartcard reader didn’t work out of the box, but following the smartcard page on the Arch Wiki enabled it. Unfortunately, the only smartcard I was willing to test with was my laundry card. pscs_scan found the reader and showed card insertion and removal events, but I can’t confirm anything else works.

What didn’t work

While this tablet usually has facial recognition, my model seems to not have the IR sensor included. I opened the tablet and found my webcam module appears different from other modules on eBay, and the display assembly is missing a cutout I found in on the product page. Replacing both components would cost more than $100, which is more than I want to spend just for face unlock. This will go untested.

As stated above, not all buttons on the stylus worked. That said, I am fine with the partial functionality since this pen also magnetically attaches to the side of the tablet. I am unsure if other styluses work with this tablet in Linux.

Even though the physical smartcard reader appeared to be functional, the wireless reader (I believe NFC) did not work at all. Further investigation showed the upstream driver for this model of smartcard reader only supports the physical reader.

My tablet also had a fingerprint sensor. It worked in Windows, but I haven’t found a compatible driver for it in Linux. The device ID for this sensor is 06cb:00bc and is made by Synaptics. Dell provided a Windows driver for this sensor, but my attempts so far to reverse-engineer it for Linux have failed. I definitely want fingerprint authentication working on a tablet, so I’m going to keep working on it, but no promises.

Additional testing

The Thunderbolt 3 ports worked just fine with a thunderbolt 3 monitor I already had (Dell U2724DE). Mouse, keyboard, and webcam plugged into the monitor were detected by the tablet. I also had an LG Ergo DualUp (2560x2880) daisy chained to the Dell monitor via Displayport MST. The tablet instantly detected both screens and was able to drive the Dell at 1440p at 120hz and the LG at 2560x2880 at 60hz, along with the internal display. Power delivery also worked. All of this was over a Thunderbolt 3 (40gbps) 2m cable extended via some random USB-C extension cable I had for years.

The USB-A port also worked (which I knew since I used it to install both Windows and Linux).

The microSD card slot also worked with my random Micro Center card. I didn’t bother testing performance, but I did successfully read and write to it.

Extra PCIe slot

My tablet had a SIM tray slot, but it didn’t have a WWAN card populated. The tablet’s motherboard had an empty 3042 m.2 slot. Instead of getting an LTE module, I bought a 2242 B-Key SSD. Since this is a business tablet, Dell provides a very detailed service manual for swapping out this tablet’s sub-assemblies and made it easy to disassemble the deivce. Installing the SSD was a breeze once I became comfortable prying the display away from the tablet’s back cover.

One thing to note: this slot is almost flush with the motherboard. That means dual-sided m.2 cards, like this NVME SSD, won’t quite fit. However, I was able to screw down this SSD with only slight bending. Once installed, Linux was instantly able to detect the new disk! Using the GNOME Disks benchmarking tool and lspci, I confirmed:

  • The slot is limited to PCIe 3.0 x1 speed.
  • This SSD had read speeds up to 775MB/s
  • This SSD had write speeds up to 260MB/s

This extra slot isn’t ideal for storage, but this slot’s large area and PCIe interface means there are lots of options for anyone who might need an extra module in their tablet. That said, I did not confirm whether this slot had USB or SATA lanes connected, only PCIe which was my main interest.

Personally, I am probably going to get a b-to-m key 2230 adapter to use other SSDs that I know are flat on one side, but I am also exploring SDR options just for fun (I know inside a tablet is not ideal for clean signal). AI accelerators could also be an option, but I don’t know what would be practical in a tablet like this (maybe computer vision?)

Review

Overall, I really like this tablet! The out-of-the-box experience for Linux users was excellent and didn’t even require any additional drivers for most use cases. Battery life was sufficient for light use, but I did find it lacking and far from all-day battery life. upower reports I have 89% battery health, so I don’t think a new cell will help. Performance was also sufficient, but I’m not doing anything substantial with it. For reference, Hello Kitty Island Adventure ran below 30fps on Windows (my partner’s game of choice). This is not a gaming machine.

As a lightweight office tool/media consumption device, this tablet is awesome. I ran a TTRPG session as GM using this tablet for notes and reference without issue. Most of the time, I can’t even hear the tablet’s fan, so this works even in quiet offices. Speaker quality was acceptable (not amazing, but not ear-grating), and volume was enough for use in the kitchen with stove fans going.

Keyboard is good enough. Keys are very legible in all lighting conditions, backlight works just fine, and key travel is like any other laptop. I did find the key layout lacking (navigation keys are awkward, I’m regularly activating airplane mode accidentally), and the keyboard itself had noticeable flex. The touchpad was tiny and almost useless, but good enough in a pinch. I like using the tablet without the keyboard cover, but having it available is a huge quality of life improvement versus USB or bluetooth keyboards.

Stylus works good enough. I’m not an artist, so I mostly use this for note taking. I love that the stylus attaches magnetically to the tablet, but I dislike how it covers the USB-A slot when attached. That means I can’t just live a wireless mouse dongle in the tablet all the time.

The biggest issue I had was the thickness of the tablet. My tablet’s SKU came with the smartcard reader. Dell accommodated the extra port by making the entire tablet thicker. This extra thickness was only 3mm, but it was very noticeable in the hand. After mulling it over, I decided to remove the smartcard reader and get a smaller back cover.

Shell swap

During this time, tariffs in the US meant buying used parts internationally became more expensive. Additionally, replacement back covers on eBay were either the same thicker size, lacked the fingerprint sensor cutout, or was way too expensive. Again, this was a budget purchase, so I wanted to go as cheap as possible. Luckily, I discovered Parts People, a US-based parts supplier for Dell laptop repairs. This site had a back cover in stock for only $25!

Once the part arrived, I began moving all components to the new shell. The new shell had a fingerprint sensor daughterboard and WLAN antenna preinstalled, but everything else had to be transplanted. Using only the service manual on my phone, I was able to get everything moved over without issue. Almost everything was screwed into the chassis, with only ribbon cables and the speakers taped down. I recommend a magnetic parts organizer for anyone else trying this, but otherwise this process was a breeze and only required a screwdriver and a pry tool.

Thinner size - repairability win!

At only 9.3mm in height, the new thinner size is a big improvement. It still is thicker than new ARM tablets, but it’s now very usable in one hand. I thought at first the display’s bezels were quite large, but in the hand I find them convenient for holding the tablet. They still could be smaller, but I’d rather have some bezel than none.

Going with the thinner back cover did mean I lost smartcard access, and the new case lacks a SIM Card slot. I did try to find a new cover that still SIM access, but couldn’t find a reputable source domestically. Since I don’t need WWAN, I decided this was a small loss.

However, the smaller cover did reveal an unexpected issue: the screws that secured the display to the back cover were too long. The new cover didn’t come with replacement screws. Fortunately, the service manual provides a complete screw list, so I had what I needed delivered within a day.

Regardless of what you may think of spending time and money on trading functionality for form factor, this exercise definitely proves that this is a very serviceable device. While the main computer components are soldered to the motherboard (CPU, RAM, I/O), almost everything else is a replaceable part. Upgrading WLAN and SSD is trivial, and the WWAN slot is basically a free expansion port. Battery replacement will also be possible when it becomes necessary, and any accidents I may have can be fixed in my kitchen with a screwdriver and a spare part.

At this point, only fingerprint sensing is left on my wish list. I found a project on Github called synatudor that successfully reverse-engineered another synaptics fingerprint sensor from a Windows driver. It targeted a difference device ID, so it didn’t quite work with my tablet. That said, I’m hoping to use this work as a starting point for reverse engineering the correct driver and get it working on my tablet. So far, I was able to extract DLLs, but ran into an issue finding the correct byte offsets. If anyone has experience with relinking DLLs for Linux, please reach out!

Dell Latitude 7320 Detachable - a more expensive success

Before I got the 7210, I actually purchased a 7320 Detachable on eBay for $400 (no keyboard). This tablet had comparable specs to the 7210, so I’ll only list the differences:

  • i7-1180g7, noticeably faster than the 7210’s 10610u
  • 13in display, bezels are much thinner despite the 7320’s overall smaller size in all dimensions
  • Two (2) thunderbolt 4 ports, one on other side of the tablet (7210 has both on left)
  • WAN slot 2242 with PCIE 3.0 x2 width, double the speed at the cost of size
  • Missing micro-sd card, no other storage expansion
  • Missing USB-A port, no other expansion ports

I did install Linux on the 7320, and while everything worked, I did notice differences:

  • Cameras did not function at all
  • Fingerprint sensor did work using default libfprint
  • Smartcard reader worked with physical cards and with wireless.

Overall, the 7320 is nice upgrade over the 7210, especially the screen. The bezels are just the right size and still provide enough purchase for holding. Typing on the screen was also possible using all ten fingers (I was able to touch-type short commands in terminal). It also maintains a thinner profile by having the case bump out over smartcard reader. I found this made an awkward shape and was uncomfortable to hold, but other may find it a nice compromise. The newer CPU also came with a much improved SoC, so light gaming was more possible. However, that still isn’t my goal, so I didn’t test this beyond confirming Minecraft Java ran without issue.

Ultimately, I decided to return this model primarily because of the cost, and secondarily because of the lack of webcam drivers. At $400, this tablet is double the price of the 7210. Keyboard covers also jumped in price to $150 used, making this device a $575 TCO (including stylus). For comparison, I paid $200 total for the 7210, including keyboard, stylus, and replacement back cover. Additionally, while I want fingerprint sensing on the 7210, not having it does not remove functionality, it just requires I type in a password. Missing webcam drivers is a significant loss of functionality on the 7320 (even the FFC would have been sufficient for video calls).

Summary

Overall, the Latitude 7210 scratches my itch for a nice Linux-compatible tablet. The serviceable construction was a lovely bonus. While Dell makes newer models that are significant improvements over the 7210, the low cost on the used market and especially the driver support for the cameras makes the 7210 a very good value. I found only a couple of devices that Linux didn’t support, and they may not be relevant to you. Unless your budget allows for purchasing other devices (and you can tolerate other devices missing drivers), I strongly recommend anyone wanting a Linux tablet consider the Dell Latitude 7210. Its low price on the used market gives it a value that’s hard to beat in the Linux world.

Update 2025-11-05: IR Webcam working with Howdy

I found on ebay the IR Webcam module available for about $20. I was curious and also interested in another form of biometrics, so I purchased it. My hope was it would work better than the unsupported fingerprint sensor.

Installation was a breeze: I only had to remove six screws for the screen, pry an EMI shield away from the motherboard, and unscrew the webcam module and unplug it. Installing the new one with the IR sensor was no trouble, just snap it into place and that’s it. The hardest part was realizing the bezel had foam covering the slot for the IR sensor. It was easy to cut away with embroidery thread scissors, but I spent way too long trying to get the IR emitter working (I thought it wasn’t).

Once installed, everything worked fine. v4l2-ctl and mpv both were able to get monochrome image data from the sensor. I do have linux-enable-ir-emitter installed from the AUR, but the camera worked just fine with the systemd service disabled. Howdy-git worked just fine with the sensor, and I was able to unlock GNOME just by looking at the camera.

10 Likes

Is there any risk of shorting due to components under the SSD requiring some sort of barrier (tape)?


Other than that: nice write-up and thanks for sharing your experience; very enlightening. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The motherboard had what appeared to be insulating foam in the 3042 installation area. The SSD also had a sticker on the downward facing side. Otherwise, I didn’t see any components on the motherboard that could cause a short (just bare, empty silkscreen).

Worth noting that I do not recommend getting the SSD I linked. I shared it because I thought someone might find a B-Key SSD useful, but it was such an uncomfortable installation (I really torqued in the retention bracket) that I removed the disk after confirming the slot’s bandwidth. Didn’t even reinstall the display while testing, just had it floating next to the chassis

1 Like

Very nice getting the 10810u model, two extra cores is significant! The extra thickness is a bummer, and my partner and I both find the thinner form factor a big improvement.

I also saw the SN520, but I skipped it because it uses SATA III instead of NVME (which is PCIe). If you do end of getting the SN520, reply back with whether the tablet sees the disk and what interface it uses! It would be great to know that the WWAN slot is full-featured.

1 Like

You’re right, I misread the part number for the SATA III listing.

Definitely reply back or make your own post if you get hackintosh/triple boot working. I’m not particularly interested, but I’m sure someone would want all 3 environments handy (perhaps an app dev). It could be possible to have each OS on a different disk with the internal SSD, the WWAN slot, and the microSD card slot.

Nice review!

It should be possible to get the webcam working on the 7320 - I got it working on Arch on a Precision 5690 that I’d thought simply wouldn’t work, by eventually installing some stuff I can’t really remember. Intel module of some sort.

I have two surface pro 3s one running Kali and the other running Voyager os they both have full function. I have read the uses with surface products but a have seemed to have had zero issues I have run Mint, Q4 and pop on them before. The only struggle was dual booting when a tried. Great post I want to try a pure table on Linux asap

1 Like

I’ve heard mixed opinions on this issue. What I recall: apparently x86 tablets newer than 2021 use some image processing unit in the Intel CPU. This IPU, depending on age, doesn’t have drivers yet for Linux. Laptops with similar specs to their tablet counterparts do not suffer this driver issue, couldn’t say way. Slow going getting support for newer IPUs, but I imagine webcams are a higher priority for supporting than one random fingerprint reader. I also believe the open source community will sooner support the 7320’s webcams before the 7210’s fingerprint reader.

I gave getting the webcams working a cursory effort on the 7320, but didn’t want to commit to owning it and gave up trying to find an existing driver. Hopefully you can find more details about how you got your webcam working.

Nice! I actually started my search for a Surface tablet. Interesting that you got Kali running, do you use it for cybersecurity work?

Happy with the experience so far with the 7210. I committed to the Linux-only life after Windows broke my dual-boot for the millionth time. I can honestly say that I haven’t had a problem personally or professionally not having Windows. I definitely recommend trying the Linux-only life. Worst case, you reinstall Windows.

For tablets, GNOME has come a long way in its out-of-the-box touchscreen experience. Almost everything just worked for me But I’m currently trying to get hyprland working as a tablet UI. Already got wvkbd working nicely as an on-screen-keyboard that adjusts layouts as needed. Also had no problem using the stylus in xournal++, but I did have problems with rnote that wasn’t present in GNOME. Still have auto-rotate and of course biometrics on the to-do list too. But whichever way you go, it’s definitely feasible to use Linux as a proper tablet environment without needing Windows.

Hi! I’m a Linux beginner and I’m also looking to buy a tablet like this to learn Linux and multimedia! If something doesn’t work for me, could you be so kind as to help me with something? I also have a question: will 8 GB of RAM be enough for me?

1 Like

Welcome to the world of Linux! Hope you are enjoying the journey.

‘Multimedia’ is somewhat vague. If all you mean is video streaming/ebook reading, then yes, 8GB is probably plenty. Honestly, you might be better off buying a used android tablet and consuming content on that, especially since the Dell Latitude 7210 has a 3:2 aspect ratio (thick letterboxing on almost every video). Android tablets are also generally easier to hold and have longer battery lifes.

If ‘multimedia’ includes gaming, then this isn’t the tablet for you. It’s very underpowered and only good for simple 2D games (I personally only play FTL on it, nothing else). The only gaming experience this tablet does better than any other device I have is GBA emulation since it is a perfect 8x integer scaling and I can plug in my cartridges via my Epilogue Operator, but that’s not worth buying this tablet for.

If you’re looking for a laptop that is also a media consumption machine, then an 8GB model might be enough provided you don’t have too many browser tabs open simultaneously. It could also function well enough for note taking too. But I wouldn’t rely on 8GB for even office work anymore. Personally, even 32GB is looking thin these days.

Hope that helps. If you provide more examples of what kinda of media you want to use this for and what your budget is, I can try to provide more guidance.

1 Like

By “multimedia” I meant watching online videos, YouTube, maybe online music (Deezer or downloaded), reading books, talking on WhatsApp…I have doubts about the size - won’t it be too big? And about the amount of RAM - now in Windows 11 in Firefox, I have a maximum of 5 GB used only by it… By the way, how is your battery life - how long does it last? budget about $300

Honestly, I’m choosing between it and the Microsoft Surface Go 3 because of the size—it’s a bit smaller. It also has a 10th-gen processor. I guess there’s no performance headroom for the future… or maybe I’m wrong and the ones I listed are definitely enough for these tasks? Yeah, the budget is probably 350, max. Thanks for your advice and help!

I checked the Surface Go 3’s processor specs and realized it’s a bit weak… It might be able to handle some things now, but I’ve already seen reports of it overheating, and it doesn’t support memory cards (for music). The Latitude 7320 also doesn’t support memory cards, and it’s a big 13.3"… so it turns out the 7210 is the only option. The only thing left to figure out is the RAM: is 8GB enough (with messengers and Firefox running in the background) or should I get 16GB?

Answers

This is fairly lightweight. 8GB is likely sufficient for this. Just give yourself enough swap (RAM on disk, equivalent to page file on Windows) to handle background tabs if you need.

About 4 hours I think. Certainly not an all-day battery champ, but it’s enough to move from my desk to my couch, maybe spend a morning at a cafe. Not enough for working all day. You’ll want to replace the battery depending on the condition your used tablet is in. Thankfully, this is an easy process that takes 15min tops.

This is honestly something you should consider as most important. The 7210 has a 12.3in screen and massive bezels. The 7320 has a 13in screen, which is large enough for touch-typing on the on-screen-keyboard, but has a smaller body.

That said, the Surface line of tablets is a bad choice. The used prices tend to be higher than comparable models from Dell, HP, and Lenovo, and they have worse software support. For a new Linux user, I strongly discourage going with Surface devices, especially given your use cases. Other concerns: proprietary charging port, difficult repairs, and poor performance.

IIRC, only the 7210 still has a microSD card slot of the tablets you’re likely exploring now. That said, you can always get a 2230 to microSD card slot and install it in the WWAN slot in a 7320 if you want to get a nicer tablet. But that would require opening the tablet each time you wanted to swap cards.

Also, the 7210’s fingerprint sensor does NOT work on linux. The IR camera does, and Howdy works, but it’s not the best experience compared to fprint.

Maybe an android tablet?

That said, everything you want from a tablet tells me you really just want an android tablet. They’re much smaller, have all-day battery life, have reliable touchscreen UIs, and support all of the software/use cases you just listed to me. Even Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 devices have microSD card slots for your music/videos. With Android 16, they also have support for Linux VMs with hardware acceleration, so you can still use them to experiment with linux. Pixel Tablet is another option. Underpowered compared to the samsung tablet, and lacking SD card support, but supports GrapheneOS, which is a fork of android that is known to be private and secure.

I personally use a Galaxy Fold 5 for my phone and tablet, and it’s pretty ideal as a media device. I wish I had gone with 1TB for music storage (512GB isn’t enough), but otherwise it checks off every box you listed. Going with a Pixel Fold gets you access to GrapheneOS, and they’re quite affordable on the used market. Downsides: difficult repairs, limited system access, and user-hostile changes to android in the future.

Linux is still awesome

If you still want to go with Linux on a used x86 tablet, AWESOME! I want to help you! It won’t be the easiest setup, nor will it be seamless, and other devices have better form factors. But it will be a great cheap way to learn to use linux with low stakes if anything goes wrong.

At $300, you can easily afford to get the 7210 with a Core i7-10610u + 16GB of RAM, the keyboard, and the pen. You can save a few bucks and get the core i5 model, but the 16GB of RAM is definitely something you should spring for (will help as apps become increasingly bloated with electron dependencies). I got a lot, so my costs were much lower, but looking at eBay now (I am US-based), a 7210 core i5 16gb RAM with keyboard is only $260. Since the RAM can’t be upgraded, I recommended buying as much as you can today while you can, or it turns into waste down the line. This also allows for additional functionality like running android apps in containers via waydroid.

I hope to use my tablet for years on Linux, amortizing my ~$200 spend as much as possible. That justifies buying this as a “toy”. For reference, my HP Spectre X360 from 2018 (8th gen intel CPU) still runs reasonably well with 16GB of RAM. Compiling software and running games isn’t ideal, but for an 8 year old laptop, it’s doing amazingly well (I installed ubuntu 20.04 and was able to rely on this laptop for my job hunt last year and some light python experimentation). I expect more from my Dell Latitude 7210 (chipset from 2020, so usable at least through 2028).

How do I linux?

Once you get your tablet, next step is to setup the OS. I recommend going Ubuntu for new users. I’m sure you heard of whatever the distro du jour is (Arch/Pop/Cachy/etc), but for new users, Ubuntu is stable, well supported, and has a large community. If instructions on some git repo README.md are only written for Arch or Nix, then it’s better for you to try to translate to Ubuntu-equivalent and understanding what you’re doing than blindly copying and pasting random commands.

Additionally, as verboten as it is in certain circles, AI chatbots are very reliable for 101 level sysadmin/IT help. Ubuntu is stable and unchanging over years, so these AI models are less likely to hallucinate answers. I personally have copied and pasted logs into both ChatGPT and gpt-oss-120b on my local machine and got great help for Ubuntu and good enough help for Arch. For new users, “good enough” isn’t actually good enough, so stick with Ubuntu.

Once you have your OS, I recommend GNOME. It is a reliable desktop environment (I have used it professionally on work laptops), has decent touchscreen support, and has many extensions from the community to add features you think are missing. GNOME is the default desktop environment on Ubuntu (no need to install any custom packages).

Alternatively, Phosh has a lot of touchscreen UI improvements over GNOME, but it is very clearly a phone shell, not a tablet shell. Worked better with activating the on-screen-keyboard automatically and the home gesture, but had limited tiling/snap layouts. You will need to install this on your own, but I think it’s in the default repos for ubuntu, so install is easy via apt.

Then install the software you need. Firefox is my recommendation for browser. Deezer doesn’t have a linux client, but does have community apps. I have used Lollypop for local music on linux in the past. I haven’t used an ereader on a linux computer before, but I understand calibre is widely used. I don’t use whatsapp, but I can comfortably run a few browser windows and other messaging clients without issue in 8GB of RAM. If you do get the stylus and want to take notes, I found rnote to be the best UI (close to onenote), but xournal++ had the best stylus support.

Let’s go further

Unlike android, a linux install is very flexible. It lets you have opinions about how your device should function. This community is happy to help you on your linux journey!

Want to go from touchscreen content machine to ultra-portable work machine? You can! Want to use this tablet specifically for stylus input? Easy! Want to run android apps? Waydroid is already a thing! Want to go back to windows? Sure, do what’s best for you. Interested in building a custom UI optimized for how you want to use this tablet? Sounds like a fun project! Done with this tablet and need to find a use for it? Mount it to the wall and have it act as a smart home hub.

Android does support linux VMs, but a VM is never the same as bare-metal installs, and I can’t speak for the user experience/ability to experiment. If you want to learn linux as a project and get a tangible result out of it, a 7210 + linux is a great way to go. Feel free to keep asking questions as you go forward.

1 Like

Oh, what a fantastic, detailed answer! I’m completely overwhelmed by the questions you’ve already answered! I need a tablet that can occasionally replace a computer, so Android isn’t right for me. Android’s only positive is battery life and a possibly better screen. That’s all. The rest are just limitations.
I’m from Ukraine and I was lucky to find a 7210 with 16GB of RAM and a Core i5 here for about $280. ​​8GB of RAM costs exactly $200. The difference is significant… I know Ubuntu (I’m thinking of installing Kubuntu) uses less RAM than Windows 11… The AI ​​assistant says the system uses up to 2GB of RAM. How much is your system occupied after the system boots?

Happy to help! I know from experience that linux can be overwhelming and hard to navigate, so I try to be comprehensive where I can. Hopefully this was useful information to you and other users in the future. Also, if you don’t understand anything for any reason, feel free to ask for clarification.

Easy decision then. I have seen some videos on youtube of people trying to turn phones in computer replacements, but it’s truly a compromise. From my own experience: Samsung’s Dex mode is decent, but it isn’t good enough. I can get by with using my phone as a computer replacement in a pinch only because I can ssh into a real linux environment via termux or my homelab stuff has excellent web UIs built in.

Learning linux in a VM was a viable pathway in years past, but these days, linux is a reliable daily driver and mature enough that I think VMs will give you incorrect impressions or teach you incorrect idiosyncrasies.

This sounds about right. Even in the US, this is about correct for pricing here. I don’t track prices on the used market long term, and chip shortages have flipped everything upside down. I only got my $200 deal by buying in bulk (lot of 3 tablets). If you want to save the $80, that’s totally reasonable. I personally would choose to spend $80 for double the RAM (again, you’re locked in to whatever you buy), but that’s just a preference.

Running Arch on my tablet. I don’t have KDE installed, but I do have GNOME. At idle, Arch + GNOME uses 1.3GB of RAM. I opened firefox and started streaming lofi girl on youtube. RAM usage went up to 2.5GB. I didn’t have any eBooks on my tablet, so I downloaded the D&D 5e SRD and loaded it up in document viewer (lofi girl was still streaming on youtube in firefox). That increased RAM to 3GB.

I did boot into Ubuntu 25.04 live iso on a USB drive. I closed the install wizard and opened system monitor, that showed 2.1GB of RAM used. I’m not sure what background processes run on ubuntu live iso, YMMV.

Even if (k)ubuntu uses 2GB at idle, I still recommend using that distro for now. The 1GB of extra RAM used is worth the countless hours of frustration you’ll save trying to use arch.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Your answers (you even installed the programs I was interested in!!) are the answers of a true friend! I don’t often encounter this kind of attitude online these days; you often see recommendations to contact an AI…
Regarding the RAM, I asked the same AI whether 8 GB works in dual-channel mode in this particular model, and the AI ​​confirmed it. If it’s not mistaken, there shouldn’t be any performance degradation. But this particular model also doubles the storage to 512 GB and adds a keyboard. So I’m leaning toward that.

Glad I could help! Already had the programs installed, so it wasn’t a huge effort. Sorry you had so many referrals to chatbots, you’d think the most vocal against AI would be the first to line up to help you. Hopefully you’ll have a better experience on this forum.

I tried running dmidecode on the 7210. I got mixed results. My tablet has 16GB of RAM, and they’re probably running in dual channel, but it’s hard to confirm. Online discourse surrounding this topic is inconsistent, including on this forum.

$ sudo dmidecode | grep Interleave
	Interleave Position: 1
	Interleaved Data Depth: 1
	Interleave Position: 2
	Interleaved Data Depth: 1

$ sudo dmidecode --type memory
# dmidecode 3.7
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.2.0 present.

Handle 0x001D, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
	Location: System Board Or Motherboard
	Use: System Memory
	Error Correction Type: None
	Maximum Capacity: 32 GiB
	Error Information Handle: Not Provided
	Number Of Devices: 2

Handle 0x001E, DMI type 17, 84 bytes
Memory Device
	Array Handle: 0x001D
	Error Information Handle: Not Provided
	Total Width: 64 bits
	Data Width: 64 bits
	Size: 8 GiB
	Form Factor: Row Of Chips
	Set: None
	Locator: System Board Memory
	Bank Locator: Not Specified
	Type: LPDDR3
	Type Detail: Synchronous
	Speed: 2133 MT/s
	Manufacturer: Samsung
	Serial Number: Not Specified
	Asset Tag: Not Specified
	Part Number: K4EBE304ED-EGCG     
	Rank: 2
	Configured Memory Speed: 2133 MT/s
	Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V
	Maximum Voltage: 1.2 V
	Configured Voltage: 1.2 V
	Memory Technology: DRAM
	Memory Operating Mode Capability: Volatile memory
	Firmware Version: Not Specified
	Module Manufacturer ID: Bank 1, Hex 0xCE
	Module Product ID: Unknown
	Memory Subsystem Controller Manufacturer ID: Unknown
	Memory Subsystem Controller Product ID: Unknown
	Non-Volatile Size: None
	Volatile Size: 8 GiB
	Cache Size: None
	Logical Size: None

Handle 0x001F, DMI type 17, 84 bytes
Memory Device
	Array Handle: 0x001D
	Error Information Handle: Not Provided
	Total Width: 64 bits
	Data Width: 64 bits
	Size: 8 GiB
	Form Factor: Row Of Chips
	Set: None
	Locator: System Board Memory
	Bank Locator: Not Specified
	Type: LPDDR3
	Type Detail: Synchronous
	Speed: 2133 MT/s
	Manufacturer: Samsung
	Serial Number: Not Specified
	Asset Tag: Not Specified
	Part Number: K4EBE304ED-EGCG     
	Rank: 2
	Configured Memory Speed: 2133 MT/s
	Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V
	Maximum Voltage: 1.2 V
	Configured Voltage: 1.2 V
	Memory Technology: DRAM
	Memory Operating Mode Capability: Volatile memory
	Firmware Version: Not Specified
	Module Manufacturer ID: Bank 1, Hex 0xCE
	Module Product ID: Unknown
	Memory Subsystem Controller Manufacturer ID: Unknown
	Memory Subsystem Controller Product ID: Unknown
	Non-Volatile Size: None
	Volatile Size: 8 GiB
	Cache Size: None
	Logical Size: None

Interleave Position: 2 indicates dual-channel mode, but the memory information does not provide the usual `Locator: Channel* data other discussions have searched for.

That said, I promise you the memory channel mode on this tablet is not your bottleneck. I’m sure you’ve heard that memory configuration can “leave performance on the table”, but other parts of this tablet already does that. For one, my tablet is apparently using LPDDR3-2133, which is fairly slow (and a disappointing discovery). Second, the tablet’s power, CPU, and thermal solution will heavily bottleneck most memory-intensive applications long before your RAM becomes worth optimizing. Third, nothing in your stated use cases will saturate the memory channels enough to cause noticeable performance degradation.

You can easily upgrade the SSD in this tablet (any single-sided 2230 NVMe SSD will work, which are now readily available since the Steam Deck was launched. AI Bubble may have cut supply though), so keep that in mind as you shop around. You can also install a second SSD in the WWAN slot quite easily with a 2230 B-to-M key adapter. That would be perfect for media storage since the WWAN slot has limited bandwidth (still faster than microSD cards).

I was able to buy the keyboard for about $20 separately from the tablet, but I’m not sure what prices are today. Stylus was similarly priced.

NB: The only modular components on this tablet mainboard are the SSDs, WLAN card, and WWAN card. Everything else is soldered down. I recommend buying as much CPU/RAM as you can now and upgrading the SSD in the future if that’s possible. You’ll get more life out of the tablet long term, and the old SSDs can be put into enclosures for high-speed flash drives or used in other computers.

2 Likes

I ordered a 7210 with 16GB RAM and 512GB ROM. It has a DW5811 modem (it’s not from this model, but the repairman promised to adapt it. It also has GPS). I hope he wasn’t lying about the battery remaining at 81% capacity… The tablet is certainly a bit worn out. After all, it was someone’s work machine. I’m worried about his honesty, I mean the seller’s… It’s not an international trading platform, but rather our local OLX. The price is $240 with a power supply, but without a keyboard (the tablet has a regular USB, so I think it will be fine! And there are private messages on the forum, I wonder? English is just not my native language and I don’t really know my way around yet, but it’s good that it is, the forum allows Google Translate. And yes, the processor is not an i7, but an i5. But I think it will be enough for my needs… All that remains is to wait for news about its readiness. Thank you for your advice and support! I hope to continue the conversation in the future!