Sub $400 build for friend

Hey.

I was planning a build for my friend. He wants to get a 6/10 overall build for less than $400.

I'm leaning 2 ways- An AMD Richland APU A10-6800K, or an Intel Celeron G. 

For the AMD, I'd get great CPU speeds without needing to buy a discrete GPU, yet the onboard GPU is weak.

Also, intially more expensive. ($150)

For the Intel, I'd get Socket 1155, so I can upgrade, but the preformance is low.

Initially Cheaper, but would need to get a GPU. ($45 for CPU, and like $100 for Radeon HD 7770)

Help me out!

Anyone got a clue?

Does he need an OS?

He has got an OS, and some spare SATA CD/DVD drives laying aroung.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wAvg

Tiny bit over. No OS, no optical drive. Needs a heatsink, but it should come with a stock heatsink.

You could go for the CX430 PSU, a little cheaper. Still enough for the system.

Thanks for the idea! Can we maybe squeeze in 8GB of RAM, and get like a 7790 or 7750 GPU?

Won't the CPU bottleneck the GPU?

Here's an AM3+ option. It won't perform quite as well as Berserker's out of the box, but it will be possible to upgrade the CPU.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wAD1

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wAGI

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: MSI FM2-A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ Outlet PC)

Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($94.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Microcenter)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $396.91

CPU and GPU are fine. I think the max this particular CPU can handle is a 7870.

You won't use more than 4GB of RAM whilst gaming, so why compromise on the GPU? GPU is much more important. You can add the RAM later.

No, not really. Regardless, a low spec system like this probably won't drive applications that require more than 4gb of ram anyway.

Oh god, no...

A55 Chipset? No USB3, No SATA6GB...

Take GIGABYTE F2A75M-HD2, it's like the same price, but it have USB3 and SATA 6GB... The chosen motherboard is awefull... really...

No, no, no...

No 55 chipset... This chipset offers no USB3, No SATA3 (6GB)... No...

Run away from A55... Find the cheapest A75 motherboard...

Not really necessary. I have a £2000+ build, and I still don't utilise USB 3.0 nor SATA3

;D

Only compromise would be an MSI A75 motherboard... that's MSI...AMD... MSI... AMD. NEIN NEIN NEIN!

Alright, this build is going to be ordered and built during the christmas season.

Will these prices drop? And if, can I get more for $400?

You have 2000 pounds machine and you don't have an SSD in it, crippled by the SATA2 speed? SATA 3 (6GB) gets used much more then USB3, still they come together, and we are talking about a couple of dolars difference in price...

As for the MSI - i agree... MSI is always a bad choice. Personally i don't know anybody, that is happy with their MSI products... Whatever the product is...

You should take that $400... AND TRY TO SAVE MORE BEFORE THE CHRISTMAS PERIOD!!!

For $500-600, you could build a much more complete system with expandability. FM2 isn't the best socket for additional devices, nor better processors.

parts change all the time (from day to day) have a look at whats avalable near xmas (the new AMD Athlon II X4 760K will be out) 

Things are allways cheaper on the run up to xmas

I don't understand. 

During Christmas, don't prices drop some? If not 10%, maybe 5%?

They make good GPUs. And yeah, I have the 256GB 840 pro, it's not as fast as I had hoped. SSDs are a luxury, not a necessity.

Also doubles up as a comedy prop. Show people the invoice for the SSD, proceed to beat the shit out of the SSD. That's the true value of an SSD, not the speed.

Do you have any past experiences? Like, maybe last year's price drop on a CPU? GPU?