Streaming/gaming rig

I would like to build this when rtx3080/ti comes out. I want to game at 1440p 165hz ultra settings. I will stream once in awhile at 1080p60. What do you think of this build? Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wb2fNq

mobo too expensive? I would like to OC memory day 1 and cpu eventually(preferable easy diy or auto OC) want good wif, bluetooth, gigabit Ethernet

I see you have already made a build thread not long ago, try not to make repetitive threads.

Your build looks fine, but be prepared to shell out $1300 for the RTX 3090 if you want the top card.

1 Like

Or even more. I won’t put it passed Nvidia to charge 1500 since 1200 for 2080Ti went just fine with people…

As for the build - you may want to hold on for Ryzen 4000 since you are already waiting for the GPU. 10900 will go nowhere and will still be an option.
Other than that I would just say you need storage space. That single hang terabyte drive will get you nowhere. He’s are growing like * insert immature sexual joke here * so you may want another drive just for games.

One last thing: I strongly doubt it, honestly, bit 3080/3090/whatever will run PCIe 4.0 and Intel’s platform is PCIe 3.0. I am 100% sure there will be a bijillion benchmarks about that, so it will be known day 1 how restrictive PCIe3 is to the 3000 series Nvidia cards. My point is, wait for benchmarks and reviews before jumping in.

2 Likes

I agree with the storage - Not sure if you got some spare drives lying around, in which case 512 GB is plenty for a boot drive, but since your budget supports it upgrade to a 1TB NVMe - it’s only $50 more.

That Mobo, CPU and Cooling combo suggests you are going to go for a really heavy duty overclocked system. Nothing wrong with that, but if you’re not planning on overclocking you can save like $200 on a cheaper-but-adequate motherboard. If you are planning on overclocking nevermind me.

And yes, PCIe 4.0 will only get more important as time moves on. Right now though, a 2080 Ti doesn’t even require a PCIe 3.0 x16 throughput - x8 bifurbed works just fine with pretty much no downsides (slight performance hit, around 5%). It will depend on the amount of RAM on the GPU though - if the rumors of 24 GB GDDR6 is true, well…

The other thread was a system I just built for my friend. I like to get other peoples opinions on build before I build them. It has been built and it is running currently.

I may consider it if its worth it over the 3080. i probably will just get the 3080 instead of ti.

that is a good point. depending on when they both arrive(ryzen and rtx) I may wait and check out ryzen 4000 to see if the gaming performance is different.

I have plenty of storage, I forgot to mention that. I have many many tbs on mechanical drives though. eventually when ssds get cheaper I will get many tbs in ssd.

1 Like

I have plenty of storage already.

I more than likely wont overclock until end of life, if at all. unless its very easy to do and safe. Any motherboard suggestions?

I may wait and see if pcie 4 will be better for gaming or not

Here is an AMD Ryzen 3950X example rig I put together - same parts as you but a different MB + Cooler + CPU, $50 less. If you are hellbent on Intel, I do not have enough information at the moment on the best Intel parts, but perhaps others can help you.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zm2cJb

Part Model Price Comments
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3950x $709.99 16 cores, 32 thread monster
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI $209 Slightly basic, but the parts that count (VRMs, expansion slots) are there
CPU Cooler Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 3 $49.90 190W should be more than enough cooling, not black however so depends if you want the bling or not
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB $69.98 Good enough for system storage, though you might want to get a bigger second stick in the future, or even a 4-bay x16 nvme add-in card for some really fast storage. It will help with video editing for sure.
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB@3600MHz $114.99 Good value RAM
Case Phantek Enthoo Pro $99.99 Decent case and comes with enough cooling on its own (1x200mm in front, 1x140mm in back)
PSU SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850W $155.74 Probably more than you will ever need, same series but 650W would pretty much support dual power hungry GPUs
Case Fans ARCTIC 56.3 CFM 120 mm (5-Pack) $27.97 Great fans for the price, though I’d suggest running the Phantek case as-is first before adding them. Always great to have spare fans lying around though!
Total $1437.56

The only thing to add here is that you could get a 3900XT instead of the 3950X for a $1200 build instead. Other than that, good luck! :slight_smile:

thanks. I will wait for amd 4000 and see if there is any gaming/streaming performance benefits. if not I will stick with my intel build I linked above

The CPU won’t be a bottleneck here, so no, there won’t be benefits.

so you are saying waiting for amds new cpus i wont get any performance benefits? I just want to clarify that. also waiting for ryzen 4000 is for pcie 4.0(possible benefits)

Unless you plan on doing some spectacular streaming, yes, that’s what I’m saying.

Ain’t no card coming in the next 18 months gonna saturate PCIe 3.0x16 for the purpose of gaming.

2 Likes

thank you for the information. So pcie 3x16 is still plenty and will be for a while.

I will wait to build this system when the rtx 3000s come out. I will probably stick with this intel build then.

While this is true there is another reason to wait for the 4000 chips; lower part costs of current gen.

I’d in either case wait for the Black Friday deals if you can, but if you need the computer now go for it. Would still go for something like the Aorus Elite Z490 instead of the Maximus card though, that thing is simply overkill.

I can wait until black friday and or until the rtx 3000s come out. ya if i end up building this I may change the motherboard for a cheaper one like you suggested. I dont think I need it either.

what would be a good mb for this build? would like to get this board but would like to get a similar board that is half the price. auto OC would be great unless diy OC is easy because i have never OC cpu before.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TcHTvW

thinking i will get this to save some money https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z490-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/Overview

should I get faster ram 16gb 4400 or keep it at 32gb 3600? I want high fps and it to be fast for gaming/streaming and normal use.

If you want better memory, aim for tighter timings, CL18 is kinda loose… Be nice if you can snag some CL16. Memory performance is a function of frequency and CAS Latency.

4400 might be okay, depending on CL.

seems like CL16 w/ 3600+ speeds seems to get pricey. looks like these are my options. same memory just 16gb/32gb kits.

this might be the final draft. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/78kZn7

1 Like