Steam VAC no longer compatible with KVM

Just spent 1200 bucks building unRAID NAS/gaming rig.... It was working great for a few months but now I get kicked in CS:GO comp games I am guessing this is related to them getting hacked a month ago. ( http://compete.kotaku.com/a-hacker-is-allegedly-flooding-counter-strike-lobbies-w-1792518440 ).

I am not sure what to do. Wendell you should make a video. Like WTF.

7 Likes

this is them being very paranoid, but it is their game. They do what they want, right or wrong. Unless they revoke this you SOL. Seriously, screw them for this.

4 Likes

Time to find a new game.

this

It's actually specifically CSGO right now, all other games work fine for me.

Here's a reddit thread with more information and possible solutions to get past this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/5xzwp9/vac_authentication_error_on_windows10_guest_in/

1 Like

This is not them being paranoid in my opinion. They have very real reasons to stop KVM and VMs running alongside CSGO. A cheat developer had a Reddit thread going, which brought up a small bit about the future of cheat virtualization. https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/47dv61/insights_from_an_ex_anticheat_developer_on_the/

1 Like

A vm, no matter how its hosted is a great way to blind the os from programs snooping the memory.

Exploits usually monitor and modify memory addresses by identifying the program such as the csgo executable. You can then trace addresses such as a players origin or vector without risk of being discovered by vac, pb or battle eye. That's why its crucial when programming in languages like C or C++ that you keep track of your memory and pointers.

If you can conceal the hacking program behind a vm then vac can not know that it is running. But vac can know that the os is a virtual instance.

It makes perfect sense and I don't fault them one bit for blocking use of a VM.

4 Likes

if programs determine that they are running in/alongside a vm and then refuses to operate it makes using a vm useless.

Since some people use VM's for gaming this ruins their ability to use a vm for that purpose, so they would have to run it native, which if its windows only, people may not want to do.

Not everybody who uses a VM is a criminal.

This is a universal problem not only related to technology.

1 Like

agreed

However we have no laws in this area regulating innocent until proven otherwise.

Sorry, but why do want to run it in a vm?
You have too?
I support them for this decision, now that u can play it on Linux..

Because that is how I choose to spend my money. I am not going to drop a grand to play a video game. This box has to be more useful then to play games. That is side task.

I am glad you support them because you don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Good job.

KVM's being the future of gaming rigs? ehhh no. gaming on Linux via KVM containers is mainly used by people who wish to stick with Linux cause they think it's going to be the future of the gaming desktop. which by the way things are currently going according to the Steam hardware survey, that ain't happening.

Is this wrong on Valve's part? yeah. but I mean, unless you are trying to game on two machines, virtual and physical on two accounts, using this to cheat is insanely stupid. unless you have a friend helping you with this. but then again Steam isn't going to allow you to play CSGO with the same account with two different people using a virtual and physical machine.

2 Likes

what are you talking about?

I'm assuming this VM isn't running in Linux? If the problem is only CS:GO, why is Windows a requirement? I guess moving hardware from guest to host is annoying, but still.

I'm saying gaming in a KVM container is not the future. And second and which I forgot to mention and I apologize, Gaming in KVM container and getting kicked off.. This only affects games that use Valve Anti-Cheat. Which is probably just about most it not all multiplayer games. Anything else won't be effected.

As for why it does this or why it's happening, running a Virtual machine effects how VAC works, cause it will search a cheaters PC to see if they are using Hacks. in the EULA it states you cannot do anything that messes with VAC and how it works.

The TL;DR Valve is assuming since you are using a KVM, that you are doing something malicious cause you are circumventing VAC.

To be honest, I hate Linux. It is a giant pain in the ass. Only good for server uses in my opinion. With that said using it for a hypervisor would be that.

You may not see it yet but we will be virtualizing everything in the near future. For the folks that still rocking custom built PCs they'll start using a hypervisors for a base OS. And VM / docker the stuff they want. FreeNAS and unRAID are already starting this trend. Linux 4.10 now how intel's shared GPU built in. You'll be able to "pass through" your GPU to a bunch of VMs and flip between them.

Like, who wants to build a bad ass machine that can only game? Then build other boxes to do other things that could be handle by your main machine?

it will happen, just needs to be easy enough for most folks to handle and that is coming.

Me.

Also me.

I dont want the overhead of another operating system shitting on my game performance, but that said...I would not hesistate to virtualize on my main machine for other stuff since its not an "all play all the time" machine. If I honestly cared about playing CSGO though I would just install it on the host. It makes no sense not to if its supported on the host OS.

If he has the main GPU passed to the VM afaik it's not easy to relinquish that back to the host. So playing native may be undesirable requiring a restart or putting up with poor performance.

I keep my machines separate as well. My main desktop/workstation is dual boot but runs Linux 99.7% of the time. Then I keep my router separate from my file/web server and my NVR is another machine. Keep my eggs in separate baskets so to speak.

We should bomb their phone lines when they do stupid shit like this.

In my opinion if you're gunna game on linux or have linux and play games thats just another reason to do port reports and bugtest the drivers. Not enough people do that so a lot of stuff gets put aside that gets seen as unimportant. We need more bugtesters so native games actually happen.