Star Wars - The Last Jedi - Dec 15, 2017 [Spoilers]

This film was utter garbage. And that is an insult to garbage.

3 Likes

They are killing off legacy characters and it is bullshit… No doubt that if Carrie Fisher was still alive she would have gotten killed off in this one or the last one of this trilogy. R2D2 once again got zero screen time. C3-PO had his gold arm back despite him having a red one in the last film.

It is not the plot of this film that bothers me. It is the lack of thought within the plot. We never knew who Snoke was. Captain Phasma was supposed to have a bigger screen presence. Stuff was supposed to be answered. Finally Anakins Lightsaber is now destroyed. As it should be, because that thing should have never came back.

There was no need for the swearing in this film either. The OG films never had that kind of swearing in it.

Disney is ruining Star Wars and I dont like it.

I really hate how this film is the last we will ever see of Carrie Fisher. Seeing her for the last time on the big screen and her in memory thing in the credits was really depressing.

2 Likes

Nonsense we will just bring them back through the power of cgi.

(yes there is tone of disgust)

1 Like

Let the past die.

Yet they keep stealing from the now defunct Expanded Universe…

So all the ships and Star Fighters are now produced and donated by gambling rich people… Seems legit.

1 Like

I personally ended up enjoying it for two reasons.

1. The humor. This saved it from “not worth watching”.
  2. The light speed scene. That was sudden and epic realism that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Both for Rogue One and this movie, the turning point was half way through.

This is a big thing for me. He was such a bad ass relative to the other force users, and it is a thing that the most powerful/evil force users get offed by their apprentices in BS/non-fighting ways, but still.

To give background to my opinions, I didn’t grow up on Star Wars. I don’t particularly like any of either trilogy and I’ve seen a significant amount of both.

My favorite Star Wars movie is Rogue One but it had pacing problems among other things. I enjoy it because it’s the least like “Star Wars”.

I love the lore of Star Wars but the movies aren’t something I tend to enjoy overall.

My problems with The Last Jedi are primarily to do with them not letting the older movies die. I got tired of realizing they were making throwbacks to things I didn’t care about and sometimes didn’t understand/recognize.

I got tired of the pans to Leia. And then the space walk. “ok yeah sure that’s how space works /s

Hopefully they take their own story telling advice and cut all the old stuff from the new movies. Build a good story in the Star Wars universe without all the stuff that made the original and second trilogies what they were.

I don’t need the camp. I don’t want the cheese. I don’t care for the throwbacks. It’s dumb and makes the current movies worse off imo.

I realize the old movies were an amalgamation of Flash Gordon and Swashbuckling pirate movies, but I think the cheesiness of those things is unnecessary in modern movies.

1 Like

Eh. I sat through Episodes I, II, and III. I’m just happy to see Star Wars movies that have a plot that makes sense from start to finish, acting, character development, dialogue that isn’t sub-standard for Twilight, and best of all, effort put into non-action scenes.

1 Like

Maybe just stop watching them? If you know that you don’t like romantic comedy, watching Hugh Grant movies won’t make you happy. :wink: Star Wars is changing currently but at the same time it will still be Star Wars.

I’m gonna write some things about points that were made against the movie later but for now I’ll just say this: I have seen it twice now, I have read a lot about how horrible people think it is and I fundamentally disagree with that. I still really like the movie.

Oh, and this exists:

3 Likes

I know the intentions of these new films is to erase the old image of Star Wars and give it to the younger audiences. I look at all my old Star Wars merch and think to myself that this is not what I want Star Wars to be.

Everyone is a force user now… Makes no sense at all.

Star Wars is being molded into an image that fits today’s image.

TLJ was a SJW film pure and simple… Turns out rich people are jerks in this film.

I hereby turn over my Star Wars fan card and reluctantly hand over the mantle to a newer generation.

I hate you Disney. Wasn’t enough you bought Marvel. But you went on to buy Star Wars.

But no one will do anything about this because they are blinded by a fresh coat of paint.

Being merciful like I am. I am not one of the fans that says this movie should be removed from Star Wars canon. Leave it be. Carrie Fisher probably would not like that from the fans.

1 Like

Anyone, not everyone, can be. That is the point and that hasn’t changed since 1977.

3 Likes

Well, it changed for a little while when Lucas bastardized the force with midichlorians. But we generally don’t discuss that trash in civilized conversation.

3 Likes

I would rather watch the prequels over TLJ. They made sense…

3 Likes

why do you have to sell sw George?

1 Like

Alex Jones weighs in :slight_smile:

First Star Wars movie was compared to Star Trek when it came out. At the time Sci Fi fans were kinda desperate for anything Sci Fi. Star Trek had allot of depth, Star Wars was a fun movie to watch, enjoy and rewatch, not a lot to make you think however. Lucas based it on old swashbuckling pirate films.

1 Like

If you really think that, it’s because you’re fooling yourself. The plot lines of the prequels objectively did not make sense. I mean, not because I hate them. Because there are literal plot holes that make the story not stand up unless you completely disengage your (your meaning you in general, not you specifically) brain and just be happy with pointless, effortless, contentless lightsaber battles.

Have you watched the prequels in your adult life? They’re actually pretty damned terrible on multiple levels.

1 Like

Yes I have! And no they are not. I absolutely love how this fanbase tars and feathers The Phantom Menace over Jar Jar Binks and being the lesser of the other two movies. Then on the same foot they spit all over Attack of The Clones, and Revenge of The Sith for the over use of CGI. Guess what? The Phantom Menace had less CGI than the other two. Yet everyone still hates them. Yet Obi-Wan and Yoda never told anyone how the Force worked and since George Lucas wrote in that it was something like “midichlorians” wrote in everyone complains.

I would have rather had George Lucas not sell Star Wars and never see another film from the franchise and be done with it.

No one wants to see all the older characters die off in stupid manners. We didnt wait 30 years for this version of Star Wars.

Tell me. Why would Luke give a map of where he was at if he didnt want to be found in the first place?

All they are doing is writing off legacy characters and giving us people who we know nothing about.

Poe: Skilled fighter pilot. Big deal. Join almost every other single fighter pilot in the galaxy.

Finn: Defected Storm Trooper who did not like his job anymore. We all have jobs we dont like.

Rey: Orphan girl from Jakku that wanted to know who her parents were. So does every orphan…

Kylo Ren: Son of Han and Leia, Nephew to Luke. Was almost killed by his Uncle cause his Uncle thought he was evil as a kid.

#notmystarwars

Side note.

How did Kylo Ren not know that Luke was a projection when he whipped out the same light saber that was destroyed when Kylo and Rey were fighting over it?

2 Likes

I think that is kind of digging… Like, oh - you just withstood minutes of fire from several AT-M6’s. WHERE’D YOU GET THAT LIGHTSABER?!

I think Ren’s primary focus was to kill, not sure he really had much else on his mind.

1 Like

I know it is digging but just a fore thought… This was not what I expected and I cant believe this is what was given to us.

Talk about soulless, bland, confusing, stupid and insulting. Disney desecrating and destroy film historians biggest story, this is no longer Star Wars. Really boring. The fact that a company with so much resources can fail so miserably in telling us something is unbelievable.

Gotta save that budget for Infinity War I guess…

1 Like

I thought Harley did a good job summarizing the film and some of the criticisms - he’s been a huge fan for as long as I can remember, and knows a lot about the EU (canon and not).

1 Like

I seen that video and I disagreed with him. That was his point of view for the film. I think the majority if at all most Star Wars fans have been huge fans or still is huge fans. He just does not speak for all of them.

I had and still have all the Star Wars merch I got when I was a kid until now. Most of it is in climate controlled storage.

Anyone can edit together a reading of Wookiepedia articles and call themselves knowledgeable in the lore.

What makes me mad about these movies is the fact that Disney, J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson all said they would not borrow from the old (EU). But they did. Rian took all of what J.J. Abrams wrote and discarded it like trash.

1 Like

We’re probably all pretty well familiar with Red Letter Media’s lambaste of the Unholy Trilogy. But just in case, here it is.

I enjoy those reviews of those movies because he’s fscking harsh, and he has some amazing points. But there’s actually a video series on those movies that I like a lot better. What if they (Ep. I, II, and III) were good?

And the reason I like this video series better is because anyone who has paid the slightest amount of attention can tell you why Episodes I, II, and III are utter shit (and no, it’s not Jar Jar, though he doesn’t help). This series takes the story largely as Lucas presented it to us, and morphs it into what it could have been.

1 Like