[Sorted] Razer KB Privacy Policy?

I have no idea honestly, and it will also matter where it is built. That said, the more complex it gets (more runners and gates, more side action tooling, etc.) the more it will cost, and that will climb very fast.

That’s a lot and will create a lot of weld lines in the finished part, but is probably also relatively cheap since the plastic will flow faster and get the part molded and out of the press sooner that way. Since it need not be a particularly strong part that could be beneficial.

But while using the same mold might seem simple, as soon as there are variations in port location or count this means all new side action tooling at a minimum. They might be using modular design molds, but this is also a large cost increase over a standard mold although probably cheaper than separate molds, but will introduce inconsistent wear over the lifetime of the tooling.

Mold tooling is custom fit and finish to order, including polishing and precision grinding to minimize contact seams and flash (minimizing post-mold processing is the holy grail of production plastics fabrication). I have heard many stories of shitty molds and progressive die tooling having to be shipped to the US after someone went the “cheap” route and had them made in China. Sure, you can get quality in China, but it costs the same as having it done on this side of the Pacific. A lot of production tooling is made in the US and Canada and shipped to Asia after test runs.

These are all very small, can be run on small presses, and have far less time into them than something like a laptop body.

Now I don’t know who Dell or any of the other companies are using for their mold design and fabrication, but they have to be good, consistent, and reliable; none of that is cheap.

Anyway this has gotten pretty far OT. It could be fun talking about manufacturing processes in another thread though.

3 Likes

You should start a Manufacturing tooling etc thread, i think there are a few others with your type of exp

a laptop shell would be less than a 100k but that is as accurate as I could guesstimate, also depends if the tool has one or two cavities

1 Like

I could, but that might be too much engagement for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My initial guess was 60-80k

1 Like

anyway, about that privacy policy…

1 Like

its somewhat Ok, as OP was the one this talk was going on with but yeah side talk city

2 Likes

Its been fun! :grinning:

Will be like AVE talking about tool shell build quality lol! Would be good!

2 Likes

I hate that guy.

1 Like

Haha, just reminds me of most of the blokes ive worked with in the past. Couldnt give a toss but wouldnt hurt a fly.

1 Like

Theres no keylogger in there past the ability to make a typing heatmap, which for people like me who flip between dvorak and qwerty so often, or change machines, or you’re curious what you hit in csgo or something.

But no your tinfoil isn’t needed.

Its this part in the agreement…
“Information about how you use our products and services** ► such as information about the amount of time you use our products/services for, your typing patterns, the pages you visit, and other information about your activities while using our hardware or software (including Synapse) or while logged into your Razer ID account. We collect this in order to provide feedback about your game performance, to develop our products and services, and to understand what your usage patterns and preferences are so that our marketing is relevant to you
Highlighted the dodgy bits in bold.

This is it though, im not sure if it is tin foil hat, or i need a lawyer like understanding T&C’s. Ive emailed them as in the EU so can find out and opt out, but naturally they will take their sweet ass time about it, law or not.
If its just for this heat map, then why talk about marketing in the same paragraph? That I think would suggest its all related.
In my mind atm, they will get their marketing form what you type and where you visit online, as written above. Because its while using their hardware being an input device. But maybe it is just heat maps?!

Wish they would just say, this is for heat maps and thats it. Or say, youre fucked, enjoy.

Once I get a response from Razer, I can be sure of whats what. But was hoping some tech people may have an idea, as I tend not to agree on things I dont agree with and/or understand fully.

anyone know if corsair does this too?

I don’t remember any such notice when I installed their software, and it certainly doesn’t require a login with an email address.

1 Like

Just check the privacy policy bud. Should point out, we dont know for sure yet if Razer are even doing it.

They only need an ip, system info, or in my case a keyboard serial. It all gets worked out online when its sold and added together with other collected info to build up a bigger & better picture of you.

Sorted!
Got a reply this morning…

… that passed me onto their website where I can see and change settings sorta about whats collected. The site told me…

… Razer Synapse tab ->
PP
So the “features” i was concerned about are disabled by default. Although there is no crystal clear yes or no, its nice to know I can opt out of any key stroked being sent to the internet to Razer to get hacked some day. Or just leaving my machine in any way, shape or form.

Hope this helps anyone why may be wondering about their own software usage. Will consider this thread as solved. Thanks for your help, TT24.

1 Like

The biggest Problem i have with Razer Keyboards, is that they don’t freakin’ store my changes on the board. WIth my older Logitech, i could set it up and close the software and the keyboard would remember the lighting and hotkeys. With my newer Razer it doesn’t. As soon as Synapse isn’t running it goes back to Rainbowpuke.
Have i not found a setting for this, or is this just how it is?

Funnily enough, my mouse does the same. Ive got a Logitech G700s, and by default the “back” and “forward” buttons are by my thumb. I remove these settings, but I think when the battery dies fully over night say (im a lazy charger) I go to use it and boom, im going back on my websites. Look in their software and all my settings and DPI profiles are gone :frowning:

I think, in both our cases, they cheaped out and didnt put any proper memory in the devices to store this data. Or Razer needs to actively tell your KB its settings. Must be annoying going from Windows to Linux!

I feel your pain bro!

1 Like