[Sorted] Razer KB Privacy Policy?

Yeah in these thin laptops, thats the problem. I remember when Dell made dual GPU laptops.

EDIT: Or maybe it was AlienWare before Dell took over?

EDIT EDIT: This, without the brand or show off looks. Dell did and could do it, but too interested in thin and soft.

dell probably stopped doing this as the market segment is too small to do it regularly

True ish. Its just easy money to sell a good looking product to everyone at a good price point than a beefy laptop for a high price point. Apple, MS, all do the same now, style over substance. But yeah, Dell changed their ways. And im now sad Lenovo is too lol.
And dont forget, Dell own Alienware, so could make something decent under their own brand without the bling. Would only cost them cosmetically, and even in this thread someones looking for some beef, so a market none the less. It would sell.

expensive for low volume products

Again not really, a laptop case cost nothing to design and make, the innards are already designed and worked out. Slap a Dell sticker on it and paint it gray. Jobs a good’n. Dell have a good business/workstation laptop that kicks Razer etc in the nuts. But they wont cus of style and brand, and maybe competes against their own line up too. The whole MS Apple thing again.

Molds are expensive AF

No, else every laptops would be generic, but they are all unic, from the Chrome book to Acer to whatever. All laptops ive worked on are the same, a tray, designed in cad, that slot together. Its not hard or expensive. Maybe youre thinking aluminium milled type cases rather than pregnated glass fiber/nylon?

Either way, i’d buy one. Just dont make it flashy.

1 Like

you would need a new thicker mold for this laptop no existing design woudl fit will into it that anyone woudl want ($60-$80,000 per mold easy)

Again, Dell, Alienware, mild cosmetic changes to the cases they already make to get rid of the bling and gills and garish colours. Job done. Its hardly redesigning the wheel when they have one?!

Its purely because Dell wants their new clean, flush, Apple/MS modern looking range rather than something that may dent their image in terms of style. Their consumer now, not business/professionals. Its all colours and nice materials… sound familiar?

Thats a number pulled out of the air lol. Even if it was close to that, stick a 0 at the end of the price, like the rest of their range.

EDIT: Example, it didnt cost L1T barely anything to design, trial and produce a KVM case, in very very small numbers. And thats Wendell on holiday. Dell could do it in their sleep, for peanuts.

There is a forgotten middle ground between ultra thin and monstrosity, for some reason all manufactureres stopped caring about it.

1 Like

Kvm is in a metal box not very hard to put cots parts together to make a product

Also number was pulled from site that makes molds
https://rexplastics.com/plastic-injection-molds/how-much-do-plastic-injection-molds-cost

Cuz average user doesn’t need it and gaming laptops exist at good enough performance

Has no other option anymore.

1 Like

Wants the cheapest POS if they even want a laptop

A laptop shell is probably two parts per mold and has to get put on a pretty big press. Depth is low but area is very large (pressure is directly related to depth of the cavity).

What would you price a mold at roughly since you are kinda in this industry

Last time I looked at the base of my Asus, it has I think 9 injection points. All Dell would need to do is take this and replace the screen from that shape to something more subtle. And obviously not add colour snap on pieces to the base.
But the only reason why they wont, is because they would be competing against their other brand. Dell of old didnt have this problem, until they took over AW and made that their power house bulky brand.

Good point.

The base is already made, and the lid is a plastic frame with a metal backplate in the a shape and design. Again its asthetics, a few clip on peices.

Plus, they would propably go to China rather than a Canadian company to do mass production of a mold, especially with their contacts as a huge established company. Dont forget, we have been making 3rd party phone shells, controller shells, earbud cases, all in low numbers. And only one side needs to be clean too, the others always scruffy.

I mean, their G laptops look very much the same as their Inspiron, the XPS look like their metal so not good for any power inside. So they are already doing it. But as said, its to not compete with their own “premium” brand.