[Solved] X470 to replace my X370

All I know is that the two USB ports started working again after I rolled back to the F22 BIOS.

I have to agree about GB’s BIOS stability. Every other release seems to have several bugs. So far Asus has been the only one to offer feature rich and stable BIOS (in my limited experience).

1 Like

It was cheap and in stock. I might buy one of those “just works” kits when RAM prices come down.

That’s where I got the 3 boards to look at from.

Prices:
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate: 295€
Asrock X470 Taichi: 220€
Asus X470 Crosshair VII Hero (non-Wifi): 276€

Is the Taichi Ultimate still better price2perf?

Once upon a time…

The Taichi Ultimate has “one more” 10GbE and “one more” Wifi for twenty bucks more.
The Taichi has “one more” Wifi for over 50,- bucks less.

The CHVII has …

The end.

1 Like

Makes sense.
But I don’t need Wifi and 10GbE also not really (I get 125mb down from my ISP, there’s nothing connected on my network).
Kinda makes those advantages irrelevant for me. The Aorus X370 Gaming 5 has 2x Ethernet ports (1x Intel, 1x Killer)…never used both at the same time and I’m just using the Intel one.

How’s Asrock’s BIOS compared to Asus? Only have one experience with it but that was on H87.

edit: please don’t get me wrong. I don’t want to come across as a nitpicking noob (as I don’t have the knowledge about the stuff that you guys have). I’m thankful for the advice and time you put into answering my questions.

edit2: so, to summarize:
CHVII - pay premium for the (allegedly) best BIOS and extreme OC capabilities (hooray for the BIOS, no need for the extreme OC)
Taichi - solid hardware, sane choice cause price2perf (sounds good. not sure about BIOS)

When a system works, does it matter?

2 Likes

As long as it works, no, it doesn’t matter.
But having some features can be handy.

For example?

As an extreme case: dual BIOS. Already had to use that and it would’ve been much more a pain in the ass without it.

Profiles are nice to have too.

Or proper descriptions of the stuff. When I press on ALT when I’m in BIOS on my Gigabyte board it shows a description of the selected feature but sometimes the description is utterly useless.

Like this in Asrock’s BIOS.
Like, gee, thanks. I didn’t know that this option would let me change that.

I just had to check what the BIOS even looks like. And you’re right, there is no descriptions, no profiles and no dual BIOS.

I get the descriptions thing (that is really dumb to be honest) and the dual BIOS to some extend. But profiles? Are you running your machine with SMT off on Tuesdays or something?

1 Like

Thanks for checking!

My case is a special one - as it involves a broken mobo - but since my mobo likes to reset my BIOS back to default settings (no idea what causes it) it’s easier to just load the profile with my OC instead of manually doing that every 4 out of 5 re-/boots.

“Hey look, my broken piece of garbage has an easy-fix-button for when it shoots itself in the foot again! … yaaaayy …”

Well, there’s your problem! :rofl:

1 Like

I should’ve get it replaced/sent it back for a refund much sooner but tbh, it wasn’t that annoying. The mobo’s RGB was what tipped me off as I only noticed this when I changed the color to blue and upon the next boot it was red again (the default color). The USB port was just the last straw.

And I’m not saying that this is how such features should be used. But - I know, not relevant as neither the Asrock nor the Asus have it - the dual BIOS at least lets me use the system a bit more and gives me time to try and repair it. Instead of not being able to do anything suddenly and being in need of a replacement without the option of a time window to order and until the ship sinks.

At least according to the manual the CHVII has the option for saving/loading profiles.

For some reason the English is somewhat iffy.

Again, is that important on a board that works properly?
I get the feeling that you are trying to justify the Asus board.
And I don’t see why.

Wrote this before your edit…

Not really. I just like to have options IF something goes wrong. And the easier the options, the better.

I’m not eager on paying more for features that I’ll never use on the Asus (LN2). Same reason why I’d get the Taichi over the Taichi Ultimate, although at least for 10GbE there’s a chance that I could use it in the future.
I’m just trying to figure out if the features that it does have compared to the Taichi are really worth it to me.

bruh install the speaker den(if you get an issue lol)

they can beep da codes

All the relevant boards have post code.

i guess lol

to run 1700 at 3.85 or whatev shouldnt be that hard, my killer doesnt heat up much doing 4 on 1700x, so something like asus prime x370 would prolly work fine. as in for the oc/being stronk enough vrm

whether the memory is validated or whatever no idea

That one is fine for general use of Ryzen 1XXX and 2XXX series. I am running that with a 1700 on 1.35V at 3.8 all cores. It is ok. It does not have any trouble shooting things at all, it has weaker VRM than the Taichi and less overall features. Building now I would not recommend it, 3XXX series might not work well on that one.

Just how many systems do you have?
2x Taichi + 1x Prime X370?

but the taichi has almost enough power to do like 1950x at 4.2ghz

thats slightly more power then required for a 125w processor(like 480w or something from memory at 1.4v) besides the rumors on ryzen3, like ryzen2 it may just have no oc headroom at all leftover so might not even pull more than 200w, and if it does, that assuming he updates to that and also must oc as high as possible

but mean for the original intent, run 1700 at 3.85ghz something around that level should be doable/decent, if wants future whatever/spend more of the budget thats different