… on Ryzen …

… uhm …

Seven.

… … … … yeeeaaaahhhhh…

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Fucking rich people… Am I right fellas?

Yikes.
Well, just goes to show even more that you have lots first hand experience about the stuff you talk about.

No mention about poor-people Adata stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But but but… Jerry said AMD is for poor people. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have built more of those than the average person, I guess. And for multiple purposes, too. HTPC, two gaming rigs, one for editing photo and video, one compact LAN rig, one SSD NAS and a router. The last two are also running ECC memory.

Not one of them is running windows. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That can be an advantage. Because, speaking of Asus, apparently Sonic Suite III installs automatically with the audio driver. Not a terrible thing for people who use that software, but for someone I know it caused a copy/paste issue (everytime he tried to copy something it would put the same exact folder path in his clipboard). He disabled the program in the start ups section which solved the problem at hand. No idea why Asus would force that crap.

Gigabyte’s software suite is equally shitty as it would spam my event log with nonsense. Asrock’s A-Tuning wouldn’t let me change the case fan speeds (despite being stated as in the manual). Asrock’s tech support confirmed that - in fact - the mobo didn’t support it (yet the option was in the software).

Software bundled with motherboards usually seems to be shit across the board.

Currently running my Ryzen 1700 at 3.8Ghz @ 1.28v on the x470 Taichi Ultimate. Dunno if it’s silicon or VRM, as trying for 3.9Ghz @1.35v didn’t POST lol

I adjusted fan RPM targets on my motherboard in the BIOS, since that seems like a concern.

Don’t know about that. When I pushed the extra 50MHz on mine to 3.9GHz @ 1.3V I could do everything as before. No stress-testing but gaming and even transcoding with Handbrake didn’t result in an issue.
That is on a Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 5. RAM is 2x 8GB Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400.

Well “allmost” maybe…
But those 25A / 40A Ti nexfets might get a bit toasty then. :smiley:

isnt very high at 3.9ghz

during gaming and stuff be like 50-100w

which if you compare agaisnt say 12 phases of 25amps, at 1.4v thats 420w

if you install a fan on the vrm probably doable/fine

Didn’t even know it was that bad on desktop parts these days… yikes.
Yeah, I’m very much a “get off my lawn!”-type person when it comes to bundled crap.

At least Asrock’s A-Tuning was somewhat usefull (could restart into BIOS with a click in Windows, showed which ports, slots and headers were recognized as occupied, simple fan control - at least for the CPU fan).
Gigabyte’s software suite is a real PoS. Half of the stuff wasn’t useful, the other stuff only worked half of the time. Controlling RGB didn’t work after one of their updates. And updates themselves were broken (there’s a new update…updating…there’s a new update…updating…repeat).
MSI’s software for the RX 480 is the same. The fan modes are useless and get stuck even if you uninstall the software and reboot. Extreme lags to the point where you think it didn’t even start.

Drivers are still hit and miss. The exact reason why I got a dedicated DAC. When I used the onboard soundchip I would get audio desync in videos (not matter which video player, and even on YT) that got worse the longer my PC was running.
In case of the Realtek S1220A the only driver I could find is from Asus on their homepage. Realtek’s website doesn’t have it. So you’re stuck with the crap that’ll install Sonic Suite again.
Not an issue for me, as I’m using my DAC. But I like to keep things like that in mind when buying stuff.

While I never planned on using an APU, not having video out on the CHVII kinda makes it feel more spare (then again, it’s targeted at OC enthusiasts with probably a 2700X in mind, with all the LN2 features).

But tbh, I feel like subconsciously I was leaning towards the CHVII all along. As I said, I’m not eager on spending more overall for features I’ll never use. That money could be put towards better RAM (and the Trident Z 16GB kit is damn tempting for ~150€ right now).

Just watched a video by der8auer on the CHVII. One point was particularly interesting to me: Performance Enhancer Lv. 3 + XFR. In combination with the asynchronous BCLK (as the CHVII has 2 - 1x for CPU, 1x for PCIe, RAM, Chipset) it results in better performance than a standard OC on all cores (depending on how high the OC is set).
From what I understand the result is easier BCLK OCing without the headaches of also affecting the other components.
The downside is a) a small penalty on memory timings and b) on this board 2 of the SATA ports don’t like it at all and will cause the post code to be stuck at A2 and c) changing the BCLK in Windows will cause Windows to count slower and mess with applications that need specific timers.

Unfortunately, I hace 5x HDDs in my case and with the CHVII only having 6x SATA ports, that would be an issue for me.

When I do run Windows, I avoid any MB specific software if possible. I mainly use Linux, so I tend to be stringent when it comes to certain BIOS features. One of the main reasons I got the Gaming K7 was because of the BIOS fan control since it was at that time far more advanced than what other vendors had. Dual BIOS is really good too. I love the Asus flashback feature, but they only have it on certain models (usually the really high end ones), while GB has dual BIOS on most of their boards. It has saved me a few times and it’s just nice to have.

1 Like

That’s a solid way to avoid any fuck-ups.
No BIOS updated initiated from within the OS, not OCing from within the OS, etc.

Kinda different topic but related to the new motherboard:
I’m now looking for RAM for my new motherboard as well. 3200MHz, 16GB (2x 8GB), not too tall and perfect for Ryzen.

@noenken your comment about my 2400MHz kit kept me thinking, so now I’m looking for new RAM.

edit: got some. F4-3200C15D-16GTZ G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL15 and according to a list on Reddit (which has been linked to a lot of “Samsung B-Die” threads across the web) it’s Samsung B-Die.
200€, which means it’s 89€ after sending back my current RAM for a refund.

1 Like

Update:
After I ordered the new RAM kit I also pulled the trigger on the motherboard. Got the Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi. Yes, the Wifi version (even though I don’t need that feature) because the non-Wifi version was in/out of stock and with very late delivery dates which would shorten the time window for sending my current motherboard back by quite a lot.
Both the new RAM and motherboard should arrive on Thursday.

Thanks a lot to @noenken, @MisteryAngel, @Melcar, @2bitmarksman and @dinscurge for providing insight into the topic, advice, recommendations and taking your time for this.
I’ll mark this thread as solved now.