[SOLVED] Need help with vfio-pci for passthrough on F27, GPU not being isolated

sdb                               8:16   0   2.7T  0 disk 
└─sdb1                            8:17   0   2.7T  0 part 
  └─osprober-linux-sdb1         253:3    0   2.7T  1 dm   

Not sure what’s up with that, it’s my 3TB WD Red

Also tells me already mounted/mountpoint busy when I try to open the lower one, very weird

Try running, as root, the following:

dmsetup remove osprober-linux-sdb1
$ sudo dmsetup remove osprober-linux-sdb1
[sudo] password for uniqueactive: 
device-mapper: remove ioctl on osprober-linux-sdb1  failed: Device or resource busy
Command failed

Nvm, unmounted again, executed without error this time

Command failed

That’s odd.

So, you’re probably good on the grub2-mkconfig front. A reboot will fix the stale device map.

Okay so after I unmounted and tried again it executed and I was able to grub2-mkconfig to the right place, I’ll see if I get a different result this time around on reboot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright, still both monitors lighting up with Fedora^^
How would I go about blacklisting amdgpu?

in /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf, put the following:

blacklist amdgpu

Then you need to dracut -f --kver $(uname -r) again.

Just to verify, your packages are up to date, right?

1 Like

Everything up to date, checked everything again, regenerated everything again, i’ll reboot and see :slight_smile:

1 Like

Blacklisting amdgpu did the trick, seems to be working now, thank you a ton for your help!

Also, the /dev/sdb shenanigans are still happening, how would I go about fixing that for good? :stuck_out_tongue:
Sorry for abusing your help^^

Should I just try to set up some proper mounting points for my additional drives?

EDIT: Seems like it’s fine after setting up my mount points, thank you!

1 Like

Glad to hear it.

I’m not really sure. You could try passing the --force flag to the command I mentioned above (dmsetup remove --force osprober-linux-sdb1) and see if that nets you any results.

That’s probably the best option if it’s not a removable drive.

Don’t worry, I keep coming back for more!

All seriousness though, I’m quite experienced with passthrough and whatnot, so I do enjoy sharing my knowledge with people.

1 Like

Don’t know if you saw my edit, setting up mountpoints did the trick, thank you for all your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, yes I did. Glad to hear it’s all set up.

Just so you know, some rx 480’s suffer from the bus reset issue, according to forum results. If you have issues, there’s a workaround thread somewhere. I’ll see if I can find it.

1 Like

Bus reset issue being that I have to shut down the whole system before I can start up the VM again?
I remember having that problem on my old passthroughs, was really annyoing :sweat_smile:
I’d appreciate it!

1 Like

Yep. I’m having trouble finding it, but the gist of it is you configure a scheduled task to disable the GPU device on OS shutdown and re-enable the GPU device on OS startup.

You should absolutely enable RDP while you’re testing this because you don’t want to get stuck with the GPU disabled.

That goes beyond my knowledge, I’ll go digging aswell^^

What’s RDP and where do I enable it? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Remote Desktop Protocol. This article should help you with enabling it.

The Linux client I use is Remmina. It’s available in Fedora repos as remmina-gtk.

Yeah, if I knew how to do it, I’d just tell you, but I’m definitely not a windows guy. I can barely remember how to change a password on Windows.

2 Likes

How would the RDP help me? I don’t quite understand that part yet :sweat_smile:

Also, I found the thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s the thread!

If you get the system stuck with the GPU disabled, you can RDP in (it creates a virtual display) and manually enable the GPU.

1 Like

I see, thank you! First I gotta get the VM set up though, so I’ll get to it^^

1 Like