[Solved] Linux is unstable ever since I upgraded to Ryzen

Thats true but i think that in terms of controlers used on that particular board are similar to what you would find on other Gigabyte boards.
So yeah, maybe trying a different distro?

@tenten8401 already tried manjaro. I am running manjaro.
His system crashes, my system is fine.

We agree that it isn’t hardware … I just added the word “alone” to that thought. :wink:
It might be some combination of linux + specific hardware on some boards.
That is why I really wanna know what board @srLo is running on.

It is just a theory of course but … worth a shot, I think.

@tenten8401

Take a look at this wiki page on stress tests and errors.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Stress_Test

Wish I had more money to dump into this to try an Asus Prime X370-Pro like @noenken is running… Probably could’ve just gotten a 7700k and about 30 hours of my time back if I hadn’t used Ryzen.
Either way, I’m not a big fan of Intel’s business practices so I’ll see if I can scrape up some more money and possibly grab an Asus Prime X370-Pro and sell my Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K5…

You can try disabling stuff on the board.

Would still be nice to know what board @srLo is running.

Sitting here running a stress test and thermals & whatnot are looking fine, and it hasn’t crashed yet (although I’m sure it will)

What would you suggest disabling?

Start with sound.

It’s got an ALC 1220 audio codec, which is the same as the Asus Prime X370-Pro, so in my head it shouldn’t be a problem… Going to go look in the BIOS if the sound can even be disabled or not.

I Think it is the only thing left to try out for free, sooo…

HD Audio Controller was able to be disabled, and I’ve disabled it and am now using DisplayPort audio for my music.

So with the audio controller disabled, I’m still experiencing instability…

What would be a fair price to list my Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K5 under? Literally only had it for about 2 weeks now. I’m thinking around $140

May save up and get an ASRock Tachi as it apparently works just fine on Linux: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjGWqTFultI

Some other ideas, not sure if I already asked. How old is the PSU? Did you check the CPU for bent pins? Did you disconnect all front panel stuff and start by shorting the pins? Would you mind taking a picture of the inside of your system?

PSU is about a year old as I recall. CPU does not have bent pins. Unsure what you mean by disconnect the front panel stuff and short the pins but this exact case worked fine with my i5 6500.

Disconnect any front panel headers for USB, sound, reset, power, speaker… Then use a screwdriver to make the connection on the two pins where the power button would sit on the board itself. Or maybe even get the board out of the case, put it on cardboard and try it there. Maybe something is shorting out, maybe the case is haunted… If you want to sell it anyway, it is basically no additional work.

Just to recap, you changed GPU and memory, you got a new board but the same model, right? You didn’t change PSU or CPU. Windows is running fine, linux is crashing. And it does not seem to be power or temp related. Correct?

Oh, did you try a different power outlet?

All correct except I moved from my MSI X370 SLI Plus to the Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K5.

Yep.

I’d take it, except I don’t want to risk inheriting this problem :frowning:

Here it is on eBay if anyone here wants it, although after reading this thread I doubt it unless you’re a Windows user or willing to wait it out on kernel 4.9 until it gets fixed: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-GA-AX370-Gaming-K5-X370-AM4-Owned-2-wks-TP-Link-PCI-E-x1-Dual-Band-/282592655438

Did you try something from my last few posts? I would really like to know what this problem is.

At this point I’m nearly 100% positive it isn’t case related, but I will do some testing tomorrow providing my board hasn’t sold by then. The reason I don’t think it’s case related is the thing doesn’t just black out immediately, it runs super slow for like 5 seconds, locks up completely, and then blacks out 10 seconds later.

Like i said before if the system works flawless on Windows.
Then its not a hardware problem.

Try a different distro.

One of the things that i personally suspect are the Nvidia drivers.
There seems to be allot of issues with certain Nvidia drivers latelly.

1 Like