[Solved] Linux is unstable ever since I upgraded to Ryzen

Hey there, I’ve been having a problem that’s absolutely driving me mad.
When using any Linux distro with a Linux kernel above 4.9 (4.10, 4.11, and 4.12) I’ve been having nonstop seemingly random freezing going on. My i5 6500 worked great with Linux 4.11, and I shouldn’t have to stay behind on 4.9 just to have a usable computer…
I’ve swapped my RAM, Motherboard, and GPU with no luck whatsoever.
Here’s my current parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/tenten8401/saved/TqZRBm
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
I have the latest AGESA 1.0.0.6 BIOS.

Edit: And at the time of writing this I’m running a 2 day old install of Fedora 26.

Any relevant information in the journal or dmesg?

What's your GCC version?

GCC 6.3 is required for Ryzen. Anything prior doesn't support it.

Are you running your memory at 3000mhz or something lower?

What filesystems are you running?

Which GPU driver and Desktop Environment are you using?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions that seem to lead in a lot of directions, but there are a lot of things that can cause stuttering.

3 Likes

due to all the threads of this nature, i'm going to have to say that Ryzen is still very new and still buggy on Linux in general.

1 Like
  1. Nothing that I can see in journalctl -b1 except some IO_PAGE_FAULTs from AMD-Vi (disabling SVM doesn't help)
  2. gcc (GCC) 7.1.1 20170622 (Red Hat 7.1.1-3) - kernel built w/ same version
  3. 2933 MHz
  4. ext4
  5. NVIDIA Proprietary 375.66 w/ Gnome

Edit: May try running it at lower speeds, but it didn't seem to help when I tested earlier.
Edit 2: System crashed immediately when lowering ram speed to 2133 MHz

I have the same Motherboard and had the same issue with 4.11 on Mint.

I would blame the Motherboard since it also had a booting issue on ubuntu-based distros and gigabyte pretty much would not solve the linux bugs (had them on low priority) even though it seemed to be a motherboard issue.

Until yesterday i was using a semi-hacked 4.11 kernel that fixed the bug and had the same freezes. I installed 4.12.1 and it fixed the bug and did not have any freezes until now (4.12 did not work btw). But my freezes were not happening that often so i am not sure if everything is fully ok.

So I take it I've just bought 2 poorly supported motherboards in a row...
Would you happen to recommend any motherboards for Linux support?

Wendell made a video about passthrough on F26 with Ryzen. Give the board in that system a go.

On the thread he reccomends this motherboard: https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-AX370-Gaming-FUSION-Type-C-Motherboard/dp/B06WLMWYMF
I have the Gaming K5 (budget version of 5)... should they be that much different?

Ryzen, like Skylake X, hadn't had support put in until 4.12. And you need the latest 4.12 at that.

Will see if I can get 4.12 running on this Fedora 26 install.

1 Like

Not sure, but @FaunCB makes a good point. Give 4.12 a go.

This actually was supposed to have quite good support. Unfortunately the issues revealed themselves after some use. Thus you do not see them often in a typical review.

As the others said here as well. Try 4.12.1 (4.12 did not work for me). I did not have any freezes since then.

I had a really weird problem on one of the ryzen linux systems I built. I had routed the cpu 12v cable too close to the ram. (!!) and the stability issues went away once I got the cpu power cable away from the ram.

3 Likes

my problems were largely solved with kernel 4.12. the remaining instability is mostly around sleeping, hibernating, and gnome; and I think it has a lot to do with the nvidia drivers (375.66, as you have) and wayland. unfortunately it's taken apart right now due to a failed uefi update… waiting for the board to come back from RMA.

I had the same issues until I bumped my CPU's SOC voltage to 1.18v. It seems the default of 0.9v is a bit low...

Just had the same freeze occur on 4.12.1... Hmm.. May try upping the SoC voltage then.

I have been running manjaro for months with no problems.

I would always look into memory settings when it comes to Ryzen stability. Check the timings and set the voltage manually to 1.35. What frequency are you running on those sticks?

Out of curiosity, what MB/RAM are you using?
Will make sure my voltage is correct, hold on.

Asus Prime X370 Pro with 32GB (4x8) G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 @2666.
It boots on 3200 but isn't stable. Which brings me back to your memory frequency.

7 Likes

Do you have Wayland working at above 2 FPS with the proprietary NVIDIA drivers? Mine was laggy as hell and I couldn't figure out why.