[Solved] Linux is unstable ever since I upgraded to Ryzen

I'm doing the leap to ryzen soon. Was the issue here just he wasn't on 4.12?

It appeared to be the memory not being on the compatible list, but I still need to let it run for a while and see if it truly is stable.

1 Like

With Ryzen being so new you have to buy ram that is on your motherboard compatibility list. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to not only buy compatible ram, but ram from the same batch that was tested on it. I hope the new ram fixes your problem.

That's beautiful. I NEED IT

A simple solution to test the system without overclocking ram and run it at JEDEC 2133 speed. That speed should work on any motherboard that supports DDR4.

So at this point, I’ve come home, and the system has crashed once again with the ram running on XMP Profile1 2933 MHz @ 1.35v. Going to see how long it’ll last at 2133 MHz.
Edit: Seconds after hitting reply, the system crashed.

So at this point I’ve quite literally replaced everything in the system except the CPU, SSD, and HDD. Is linux just borked at the moment, or could it be my CPU?

Switch that to AUTO instead of XMP if you can. My board switches quite a lot of timings. Also it seems like my memory controller really likes exactly 1V SOC.

Interesting… Will do and report back.
Edit: Crashed instantly twice upon opening Rust and just sitting at the menu, unlike XMP where it allowed me to play Rust for a while without issues (and crashed when I left it alone for a few hours)

Well, I guess it isn’t the memory then…
Your system just hates you. Sorry man.

Linux 4.12.3 has come in Manjaro. Will update this thread if it makes things more stable (doubt it but worth a shot, right?)
Edit: Linux 4.12.3 does not provide any additional stability.

So I told an AMD rep about this and they said now that I have ram that’s on the QVL list, try bringing up the VCore voltage until it’s stable, not exceeding 1.4v. I’ve done that and the computer has made it for around 12 hours without a crash as I’m typing this.
Will update this thread if it happens again.

Edit: Crashed again while playing Rocket League.

Out of curiosity, I’ve heard some things about weak VRMs on this board… Could it be a power delivery problem?

Power delivery problems usually show themselves as soon as you throw a heavy load at it, in my experience, so probably not.

What’s your VCore at right now?

I think it was about 1.3v

I’ve been having the same issue for a couple months now. It seems to be getting progressively worse each new kernel. I went from one freeze every other day on 4.11 to three a day on 4.12. Before 4.11 I would see them rarely. I’m going to try and go back to 4.9 to see if it helps.

Wait, what board?

I think that i have to agree with @noenken on this one.
If there are no said issues on Windows10, but only on Linux with certain kernels.
Then its probablly not an hardware issue.
But more likelly just an issue with the the said distribution, kernel modules or drivers.

Also as far as power delivery of the said Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming K5 is concerned.
Yeah they didnt use the best mosfets on that particular board.
However the board should be more then capable to handle a R5-1600 overclocked without a problem.

That is actually not why I’m asking. But the board is the part with the most variables like LAN, sound, controllers, ports, …