[Solved] Linux is unstable ever since I upgraded to Ryzen

I know, right? The troubleshoot on that one was fun.

2 Likes

Ooooohhh, the rage... I would have probably murdered the damn thing.
How did you figure that out?

Okay so trying out 2666 MHz with 1.35v on the RAM.

1 Like

Just crashed again.
Going to try 2133 MHz @ 1.35v

Crashed again at 2133 MHz
At this point should I just RMA the CPU?
Its the only thing that hasn't been replaced.

Huh. Nah, don't bother with 2133. 2666 should run on potato at this point in time. You could try a different memory kit but I am starting to think it isn't memory. Timings are correct?

What distro are you running? Maybe give manjaro XFCE live a shot? Cause I know that one runs perfectly on Ryzen.

Did you try the SOC voltage bump? If that didn't do anything I'd try another memory kit or potentially RMA the CPU.

1 Like

I'm relaying here from a PN:

@moderators, is there a way to help with that limit?

1 Like

Just got the limit fixed, Thanks!
Anyways, I'll give those timings a shot!

Immediately crashed again running the ram with those timings at 2666MHz @ 1.35v

Tried the SoC voltage bump with no luck. :confused:

Edit: A side note, can we multiquote here?

Yup, just mark the stuff you wanna reply to and click on quote.

Running out of good ideas... I guess temps are fine? What was the other GPU you tested? Have a spare PSU to test?

Other GPU was an RX 480, and I do not have a spare PSU

Disconnect everything that isn't vital for running the OS. Even front panel stuff and USB header.
Modular PSU? Reseat cables on it.

I'm just throwing stuff against the wall here, I really am running out of ideas.

Did the system run stable at any point with any OS?

Disconnect everything that isn't vital for running the

Ran great with... shudders Windows 10

Will do tommorow, getting kind of late where I am.

1 Like

Yes. visually it was fine, but gnome would crash a few times a day, especially after sleep.

As mentioned, don't have the mobo atm, but when it gets back I'm going to switch back to x and see what happens. Might downgrade from the 1050ti to my 750ti (i don't have any AMD gpus nice enough to drive all three monitors, or I'd try that).

OP, check out /var/log/syslog for messages relating to system crashes. And then post it to https://gist.github.com

Ryzen is still very new, so the latest kernel is whats needed. Just a thing to keep in mind.

Take your GPU and RAM out of your system, but leave one stick. Lets see if we can get anywhere with that.

Hold up a moment, So I am not imagining things?

I may have had the same problem except with the high current(GPU) 12V cable going over the RAM.
Weird random RAM stability glitches all round, fiddled with it for ages, got the problem in my Case but not on the test bench.

Rebuilt my PC as it was on the test bench in a different case and It's working ever since.

I was already suspecting that case was haunted by the ghost of dead Intel CPU's.

1 Like

As for the problem at hand.

Issues with Linux + Ryzen stability are very highly likely to be memory related.

For me tweaking memory timings to within spec was the difference between random Machine Check Exception resets and Perfect 24/7 stability.

I'm now running 4 Dimms (4x8Gb) at 2400Mhz with 1T command rate btw.
2666Mhz is possible with 4Dimms, but weird things happen.

1 Like

There's no file or directory named that, could it be that I'm on Manjaro now?

Can't take GPU out as I'd have no video, and 1 stick doesn't help.