[Solved] Can somebody motivate me to install Gentoo

1 Like

Eh you say use flags are easy, and yes, they can be, but they're also a major pain in the ass sometimes. Needing to get the exact right combination to get your software functioning properly which means you need to have deeper understanding of the package dependencies.

I probably shouldnt have said that but I dont remember use flags as being that. Though I just looked at my own 4 month old thread where I said they were a fucking pain in the ass as well. Weird that I dont remember that... my bad

Using Gentoo with the way it works requires you to be 100% behind the idea of using self-compiled software. If you have any doubt, like I do, then you will have a hell of a terrible time. I went halfway through the install and quit, because I realized it wasn't worth it.

It just depends on if you believe with the way Gentoo does things.

I'm a Fedora user...

Hmmm...

Sounds more like it... Try i3wm and switch DE's with Gnome ! It worked for me when I thought I was going to leave Fedora !

I indeed know its weird....That's kinda why i asked the internet, But this post motivated me indeed to just do it. First just tweak in qemu/kvm and then just go for it if am happy to replace my desktop with it, but yeah....its really dumb indeed...i just know i would have fun with gentoo XD

1 Like

Thanks to everyone i finally did and installed Gentoo. It's indeed osmthing had to do a long looong time ago, I can finally mesh around with it and see if i can replace my main rig with it and keep it from getting bricked...

The compile flags are fine. Just looking at Portage it doesn't seem as full featured as pacman. I don't think it has hooks.

Did you go back and recompile anything that came as a binary?
Also, monolithic kernel is best kernel. Death to kernel modules.

Portage is streets ahead of pacman which is very basic in comparison. It's not a dig against pacman it just isn't in the same league. Arch just doesn't have the system management tools Gentoo/portage provides.

Yeah, emerge has more features for compilation. The one thing it seems to lack is hooks. I like being able to have custom scripts run after installing specific packages. They might have that feature in there, but it isn't mentioned on the wiki.

Are you looking at this wiki?
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Portage/Sync

I was looking at this wiki. That's the issue with Gentoo too, their documentation isn't nearly as good as Arch's. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage

I can find the basics about hooks with a quick look at the archwiki. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#hooks

Nope, i think. First try of Gentoo. (except from some precompiled distro's like sabayon).

@zerophase
Problem with Gentoo is also they want you to imply stuff like you want it to be. I don't know why but with Arch i always felt less creative. I think that is why i just don't like it. Open Source sadly also just gives you the opportunity to just compile and rewrite every application like you want it :p