[Solved] Can somebody motivate me to install Gentoo

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

The auto spam wanted me to type more, also have you done it yet?

1 Like

I dont think its really possible to motivate someone to install gentoo. Either you want to try it or you dont. The only motivation I had for trying it out was that it would be awesome to run the "most difficult" distro out there. But frankly if you dont like arch you probably wont like gentoo either (but then again I like arch but I quickly grew tired of gentoo). I think the only real motivation would be to learn more about linux. It wouldnt teach you as much as linux from scratch but lfs is also probably a fair bit more difficult (cant confirm how much as I havent used lfs yet)

1 Like

No.

Fedora user here. I've used Gentoo for years (though not recently), go for it is all ill say. Its a good OS.

1 Like

This. Just a cheap likely used system that you can use to play around with various distros with the explicit purpose of learning something new.

that is indeed what is haunting me...

Well he did install Arch because people wanted him to do that. I mean its not like he has stuff to do anyway.

byhteway i started reading the handbook. Lets just hope i don\t lose motivation in the middle of installation. its 0 - 2 for laziness...

and yeah that bothers me too. Fedora is great. I am afraid i would recreate Fedora with Gentoo.

started

Well nah its different. I am already used to Slackware. There you have to compile everything without package manager. Tho they got Slackbuildscripts. I am not a arch guy because i don't know why Arch is great. I did install Arch and used it and then i was like i should install Gentoo instead and then i was back using Fedora....and currently now am seeking distraction from my task to install Gentoo.....yeah for me..><

Just install Sabayon and pretend you have Gentoo 😊

Back in my days of using Gentoo, virtualisation was not there, 1.8 computers was the average, it was tough.

Today? apart from being one of the more difficult ways "to get some hardware booting", you have no excuses, get to it.

Damn, is this radicalization?

Well if you're used to slackware, go for it youll probably like it. I've got very limited experience with slackware but in terms of installation gentoo should be more difficult but actually maintaining and using it is easier as portage handles dependencies much better (but then again any package manager handles that better than no package manager at all). And another thing about gentoo is that its just really fun (for me at least). Also since you dont seem to mind compiling things from source unlike me you might actually use gentoo as a daily driver

Thats not really pretending, there is still stuff to work on that's not automated. BTW Sabayon is amazing, i was really surprised it offered the best speed and boot times of any distro i have used :/

I have Sabayon installed on one of my machines, it works really well... But is waaay easier to install than Gentoo. I love the default Gnome theme it comes with too.

If you are familiar with Slack then you'd be familiar with ports based tools like sbotools and slackpkg(+). Gentoo is just as simple to maintain, if not easier with portage/eix/equery etc. So why haven't you installed it already? Weird.

The basic rules of linux are as follows;

Firstly, if you are unsure how to make your own packages for any linux distro, then stay away from Arch, Gentoo, Slackware and LFS. Secondly, if you need an install guide for Arch, Gentoo, Slackware or LFS, then stay away from Arch, Gentoo, Slackware and LFS. Thirdly, if you need a guide to compile a kernel, then stay away from Arch, Gentoo, Slackware and LFS.

If you have the abilities from the three basic rules above then you'll have no problem with Arch, Gentoo, Slackware and LFS. I only say this because a small minority of people who install said distros are absolute nonces with illusory superiority. Such people think that by following some online guide or wiki to install an OS makes them akin to other Arch, Gentoo, Slackware and LFS users/developers - not the case.

The same people wonder why we say RTFM.

I was thinking about moving to Gentoo from Arch for the possible performance increase. The only that stopped me is Gentoo's package manager doesn't seem nearly as good as Arch's pacman.

u can use pacman in gentoo if im not mistaken.

That would defeat the entire purpose of using gentoo. By switching the package manager you basically turning it into arch.
@Zerophase portage is actually quite solid. Figuring out the use flags is pretty easy and the only thing that might be really off putting is all the compiling. But if youre fine with that youll probably like it. The compiling was a real deal breaker for me though

Why? Did your neckbeard get too impressive for the arch forums?