[SOLVED] ASRock X570 Taichi/Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge AIC: Thunderbolt 3 devices OK - But USB 3/DisplayPort device Hotplug causes BSoD :(

Same here :slight_smile:
Hope Iā€™ll get one next week.

1 Like

I hope so too.
Strange that @1anX is having 88 error without any iGPU in the 3600.
Even a CMOS reset and a fresh 2.50 install hasnā€™t solved for me.
Iā€™ll hope that 3950X wouldā€™t have this problem.
I think that this error could be only related to a BIOS bug at this point.
So we should send support requests to ASRock to investigate further.

Theyā€™ll just respond that a third-party non-ASRock Thunderbolt AIC is not supported by ASRock - ā€œFor a supported solution, please use our outdated craptastic AIC Rev 2!ā€ :wink:

When installing the new CPU/3950X, Iā€™d also remove the CMOS battery and re-flash the lastest BIOS version, just to avoid any issues in the first place.

1 Like

Since I instinctively always disable Fastboot I donā€™t have experience with issues that may be caused by this feature.

But, as mentioned I saw the same error code a while back with an ethernet adapter AIC (without the TB AIC in the system), so currently Iā€™d guess that this behavior is just a random bug of the X570 Taichi.

Of course, itā€™s important to keep your eyes open for any irregularities because weā€™re crossing unsupported waters with the ASRock X570 Taichi/Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge hardware configuration.

Maybe we could start listing Thunderbolt devices that have worked so far?

• Tested OK: Thunderbolt (3) ethernet bridge to a Mac mini 2018 (Belkin 3 m Thunderbolt 3 cable with 100 W power delivery)

• Tested OK: Thunderbolt (1) ethernet bridge to a Mac mini 2012 with an Apple Thunderbolt 1/2-to-3 adapter.

My setups are currently still a mess from the switch from Intel to AMD so I donā€™t have much experimenting time on hand.

Normie and Jumper,

All I can say is that my PC boots up nice and fast and the AIC card is detected and communicates with Win 10 fine. Cant test it with a TB3 device as I dont own any at the moment.

I dont think there is an issue with the Titan Ridge AIC as its on Intelā€™s list of approved devices and I dont think there is much wrong with Asrockā€™s implementation. If you want to contact Asrock support on this issue I would be happy to relate my experience to them or just send them a link to this thread.

I dont think Asrock will be concerned about the AIC being a Gigabyte product as our graphics cards arenā€™t required to be Asrock and its just a PCIe plug in with TB header. Reading their blurb on the obsolete card they make, (not even available in Australia) it can be interpreted as simply meaning a suitable AIC TB3 card is required.

If you can be bothered contacting Asrock, they should in theory, be concerned that the same issue has been reproduced by more than one customer. Iā€™m betting its something simple and can be fixed by changing a bios or windows setting. KDavies had zero problems with his Steel Legend MB and this AIC, as mentioned above in this thread. Whatever boot issue I had is now gone and its working fine as far as I can tell.

Iā€™m happy that I found this thread and gave it a try and Asrock should be happy as well as it led to me buying the Taichi MB. I would love to know what caused the boot issue and hopefully Asrock may be able to help!

How did you managed to solve this issue?What BIOS version are you using?
Thanks

@1anX

I donā€™t have any issues at the moment (as noted in the very first posting, my first X570 Taichi was ā€œjustā€ defective), I was merely further speculating about that chipset/UEFI bug that halts the POST process (I had only encountered it once, then I did the reset ritual as I explained and no issues since that time)

@jumper981

As I unterstand it @1anX followed my UEFI reset ritual, itā€™s not about just having the latest version but about resetting everything back to 0 (metaphorically), including reflashing the BIOS:

Jumper981, Iā€™m running Asrock Taichi bios V2.50 which is the most recent with AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B. I have also installed the latest firmware for the Titan AIC from the Gigabyte website, version B19.1017.1 that is dated 2019/10/17.

Like Normie says above, just following his UEFI reset ritual fixed my error code 88 boot problem.

Weird problem and probably a minor bios corruption causing it ?

I see you guys are about to get the new 3950s! I am thinking of doubling my core count and bumping up in freq by going to a new 3900. It seems like a pretty good buy and once the 3950s become readily available the price on 3900 may drop (hope so).

2 Likes

Dear 1anX & Normie,
I followed the Normie UEFI reset procedure and for now it seems to have solved my issue with 88 error.
Iā€™ve now upgraded to 2.50 and finally reached 4.2 Ghz in GeekBench 5.
Still cannot disable iGPU. The iGPU Configuration in AMD CBS seems broken(after I change something here it will resets automatically to Auto even after saving; I can change allocated iGPU ram in AMD PBS,and seems to be the only functional metod), so I send a support request to ASRock to finally disable my iGPU.
Thank you guys for helping me to solve my issue.

EDIT:

I could confirm that my Apollo Twin MK2 Duo(connected with Apple TB2toTB3 Converter+Apple thunderbolt 2 Cable) is working absolutely properly with X570 Taichi and GC-Titan Ridge.

1 Like

Still happy to hear that my troubled past could lead to less suffering for even more people :wink:

2 Likes

Thats great news that Normieā€™s ā€œreset bios/cmos routineā€ works successfully for you just like it did for me. I honestly thought it was over the top going to that much trouble to perform the reset and I was happily proved wrong. Normie, your solution is now entering ā€œlegendā€ status, thanks for taking the time to document your reset routine fix so clearly.

Jump981, also glad to hear your Apollo Twin Mk2 Duo is up and running on TB interface. Cant wait to get a audio interface with TB connection myself. I am using Studio One Pro V4 and it integrates beautifully with the Presonus Quantum 2, so thats what Iā€™m saving up to buy!

ASRock published a new Beta BIOSā€¦
2.56 - ā€œImprove PCIe card compatibilityā€ :thinking:

1 Like

According to DHL my 3950X is on its way :slight_smile:

ā€œDemandā€ seems to have been as expected when looking at how fast the stock moved (at or close to MSRP) and how the prices went up after a few hoursā€¦

Seems to be a repeat of the 3900X.

Damn you, TSMC, keep laying those golden 8-core chiplets! :wink:

This could be the solution to the boot stop/reset issue (error 88) we experienced ?
Like I said before the Steel Legend MB did not have this issue with the Titan AIC PCIe card and it of course uses a different bios to the Taichi MB we are using.

Maybe Normie can try out the new bios version when he upgrades to the Ryzen 3950. Let us know how the upgrade goes to that unbelievably fast 16 core chip when you get it !

Yeah, if I donā€™t read something disqualifyingly negative about it Iā€™ll update to Beta 2.56 before installing the CPU and leave the Reset Ritual out (like a normal user, hoping it will no longer be necessary).

My X570 Taichi is ā€œfully-loadedā€ PCIe-wise so I should run into any AIC bugs if there are still any.

Configuration at this time:

• PCIe 1: Intel XL710 QDA2 ethernet adapter (PCIe 3.0 x8)
  • PCIe 3: GPU Radeon Pro WX 8200 (PCIe 3.0 x8)
  • PCIe 5: Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge AIC (PCIe 3.0 x4)
  • M2_1: NVMe/Samsung EVO 970 Pro 1 TB (PCIe 3.0 x4)
  • M2_2: NVMe/Western Digital Ultrastar DC SN630 7.68 TB (PCIe 3.0 x4)
  • M2_3: Sadly disabled since PCIe 5 is occupied

Ok I decided to get my new 3900X cpu before getting a new audio interface up and running on thunderbolt. Just to make sure the hardware works well before setting up something completely new to me.

Loaded up beta bios 2.56 using flashback and it all works great. Did not experience any boot problems with the new hardware. Did experience a much snappier PC though with the 3900X installed. Thunderbolt AIC card was detected and the Win 10 app could communicate with it no problem!

Look forward to hearing how you get on Normie, with the 3950X cpu install. I betting you have zero boot problems with the new beta bios. Mind you after the initial hassle of the boot stopping at error 88 and then performing your reset routine, bios 2.50 was stable as well.

I was able to snag one on AMD Online Store, now waiting for order details email!
Iā€™ll wait my 3950X and test the new BETA BIOS.

Cant wait to hear how the new 3950Xs go with the Taichi MB !

Hi Normie,
Iā€™ve received my 3950X and my system is really stable now.
My only issue iā€™m experiencing is a really high voltage on my 3950X(1.5V)
Are you experiencing too?
Thanks

Are you using the beta bios 2.56?