[SOLVED] ASRock X570 Taichi/Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge AIC: Thunderbolt 3 devices OK - But USB 3/DisplayPort device Hotplug causes BSoD :(

Just for a two cents chime in.

I have an Intel NUC 6i7kyk that has thunderbolt through an Alpine Ridge controer and it supports eGPU. So if AsRock don’t that is their own deal as there is nothing technically stopping it in the hardware.

It could just be, as stated above, because it has not been validated by them. But that is a pretty lame excuse if so.

1 Like

This thread convinced me the time was right to add Thunderbolt 3 to my Ryzen 3600 for a audio interface upgrade I’ve been planning.

I bought a x570 Taichi and the Gigabyte Titan Ridge and crossed my fingers it would be a trouble free install. Pleasantly surprised to find the revised Taichi MB had relocated the USB 3.2 Gen 2 (type C) so it no longer is blocked by longer graphics cards.

Plugged in all the headers and PCIe power cables, booted into bios and turned TB3 on and Security off. Dont know if its necessary to turn security off?

Checked in Win 10 device manager and found it was unrecognised as was to be expected. Tried installing the TB3 driver I downloaded from Gigabyte only to find it would not run. I had to update the driver from the device manager. Just browsed to the Gigabyte folder I had downloaded the driver to and it installed perfectly.

Next I ran the firmware update tool I downloaded from Gigabyte and updated to firmware version 43.0. The update utility was a simply click and let run and without any hassle like I experienced with the driver.

All worked perfectly and correctly identified in the device manger. Win 10 also installed the Thunderbolt Control Centre App, so all I have to do now is work out the best TB3 audio interface for my needs.

This thread made it possible as I wanted to use my existing Ryzen cpu and not spend a fortune on a MB with unwanted features. Recommend to anyone looking to do the same!

5 Likes

Happy to hear another story of a successful implementation!

Yeah, if you’re used to drivers being installed by setup routines it takes a short while to realize that you got to manual install the new Thunderbolt drivers and get that shitty Thunderbolt service App from the MS Store now…

It’s a bit bittersweet since when looking at upcoming TRX40 boards by ASRock it seems that they are now also leaving the Thunderbolt header off (the intended location is still visible).

Maybe with some firmware/driver update you can get Thunderbolt to function just like any other additional Interface PCIe add-in card without the need for a physical header or BIOS support (and yeah, being able to hot-plug devices is important to me).

Yeah the sooner TB3 or USB4 starts being included on all brands of Ryzen suitable MBs the better!

I take it the Display Port cable does not have to be attached from the graphics card to the Titan AIC unless you want to use a TB3 display attached to one of the two TB3 ports on the card?

The documentation does not make it clear but it seems reasonable to assume if you dont want to drive a TB3 display then you dont need a display input to the card. Can you confirm TB3 ports work without needing the display input?

Might have called the Titan Ridge AIC install a success a little early. The PC now wont boot into win 10 without a reset, it stops at Dr Debug error code 88. The manual does not list a code 88 but from checking online it seems it has something to do with chipset initialization?

So it stops in initial boot up and after pressing reset finishes boot sequence and starts win 10 reliably.

My PC is running only 2 sata drives and not using any NVMe (yet) with a MSI 1070 DUKE graphics card. I have 32 GB of 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Neo, (2x16) and it runs at full speed without any issues. The PC performs well and once started shows TB3 in Device Manager and in Windows Thunderbolt Manager.

Have a HX850i power supply and a H115i Pro 280 AIO cooler both connected to internal USB running Corsair’s Link app.

I have tried changing RAM to other brand modules and running the PC without the power supply and AIO cooler connected to internal USB and using Link. Made no difference to the start up routine and still required a reset to start.

Removed the Gigabyte Titan Ridge card and disconnected all its associated headers from PC and problem is fixed. The PC without the AIC card installed starts nice and quick without requiring a reset.

Any ideas from users who have successfully installed and run this card without these issues would be much appreciated!

1 Like

I’ve had such a behavior with an add-in ethernet card, not the Titan Ridge - what helped me was:

1. Disconnect the PSU from AC outlet

2. Press the Power On button for about 10 sec

3. Remove the CMOS battery

4. Wait 5-10 min

5. Reseat the battery

6. Download latest UEFI (currently 2.50), decompress it to a USB thumb drive and make a copy of the BIOS file and rename that to CREATIVE.ROM

7. Follow manual instructions for USB flashback procedure

8. After that has completed, start the system again with the USB thumb drive still attached

9. Go into UEFI, select load UEFI defaults, save & restart system

10. Go into UEFI and reflash the latest BIOS file with its original file name from the USB thumb drive - reboot

11. Repeat Step 9

12. Now make and save the changes to the UEFI for your final configuration.

I’d re-install the Titan-Ridge Add-In card after step 7 - be sure to disconnect the PSU again and press the Power On button for a few seconds before installing the add-in card.

And try boot mode UEFI-only with CSM disabled.

1 Like

Thanks Normie for the help!

Interesting because I had already tried reloading bios and setting CSM to disabled. I had not tried clearing cmos, so I went through the process you outlined.

Long story short, it works great and boots up normally without a reset being needed. Glad you suggested a complete clearing out and reloading of the bios.

I have tried it for a while at default settings and its stable. I have now resumed running the memory at full speed and the cpu is running precision boost overdrive without any problems. Bios is back to CSM enabled and did not make any difference enabled or disabled.

One other thing I noticed and wondered if it might cause a problem on boot up was my PC was set to keep USB power onto the ports when shut down. Noticed this morning the USB light on my audio interface was on and the PC off. This must have happened when upgrading to this MB as I normally have the USB ports off.

As the Titan AIC requires a single USB 2 internal port to operate along with the TB3 header and PCIe power, the USB port not powering down with the PC may cause a boot issue ? Reasoning is that the AIC is only partly powered on from the USB port. Anyway its back to USB ports being powered off now when PC is powered off.

Since I had to pull the PC out to remove the battery I also decided to put the two USB Corsair Link cables together in one header. What a simple solution and now only one internal USB header used for the two Link cables. The Titan AIC is plugged into one and the two Link cables combined into the other header. No longer have to leave the HX850i unplugged and can monitor it and the 280 AIO cooler together again.

Without your suggestion of completely clearing out the cmos and reloading bios I would not have considered it necessary as I had already reloaded the latest bios.

I’ll give it a week or so before I go out and buy a TB3 audio interface just to make sure its completely stable and booting normally. Thanks again for your help as the card would have been still sitting in its cardboard box for a quite a while before I tried to install it again.

One last thing! I take it the DisplayPort cable from the graphics card to the Titan AIC only needs to be connected for when using a TB3 port to drive a display. My AIC seems to be working fine without the DisplayPort cable connected!

3 Likes

Happy to hear that your issues seem to have been resolved!

Hope that this thread remains a shining beacon visible via Google showing that there is in fact demand for the latest Thunderbolt revision on AMD platforma :slight_smile:

I’m curious how Intel’s going to sabotage Thunderbolt functionality within the upcoming USB 4.

1 Like

I think from what I have read on USB4 implementation, that its 2 years away from becoming mainstream. Not only is there the time lag there is also the fact that TB3 is an optional inclusion in the USB4 spec. Its up to the manufacturer’s to implement the TB3 protocol into USB4 for their devices.

Device makers who opt to support Thunderbolt have to support Thunderbolt 3-compatible rates of 10.3125Gbps (for Gen 2) and 20.625 Gbps (for Gen 3) devices.

Big advantage is that the USB Type C connection will become the standard for all USB connections. Problem there is that depending on what type of USB4 implementation is used on the device will dictate if the cable needs to be TB compliant.

USB4 will be backwardly compliant to USB2 and above, but will obviously require adapters for the Type C connection. Hopefully TB compliant cables will become cheaper once USB4 becomes popular.

All of the above is why I bought a X570 Taichi MB and the Gigabyte Titan Ridge AIC. Combining the MB with the AIC gives me every combination that will come with a full implementation of USB4. I have the connectivity now and without the premium I bet gets added to USB4 with TB included.

Asrock is smart enough to get the jump on the other AMD, MB manufacturer’s by providing TB headers on some MBs and the TB chipset on others. The thing I dont get is why Asrock have not updated their TB3 AIC, maybe waiting to introduce a USB4 AIC?

Gigabyte Titan Ridge seems to be the best value TB3 AIC (Intel compliant) out there at the moment. It seems combined with Asrock MB a pretty good combination for future proof USB connectivity.

Forgot to mention: If you like to have no power at the USB devices when the system is shut down, enable “Deep Sleep in S5” (or S4/S5) in the UEFI.

Note:

• Don’t physically disconnect AC to your PSU when this setting is enabled regularily - I don’t know why exactly but I’ve read that this might damage hardware.

• S5 is the system properly shut down via the operating system, S4 is the hibernate mode where the system memory content is copied to the disk and then power is turned off.

Of course, if you enable this option you cannot wake the system from S4 or S5 with an USB keyboard et al., you have to use the Power Button.

Sleep Mode (S3) is not affected by this setting, although I wish there was such an option to cut power to specified USB ports in Sleep Mode (I use it daily since booting up and launching various services takes a while) to reduce wasted power (even if it is very little).

I disabled “Fast StartUp” in Win 10 to allow the PC to turn off power to the USB ports. Disabling Fast Start Up allows the PC to truly power off when shut down.

I didn’t need to change any bios setting to power down the ports. Fast StartUp is not needed by me for my use and really looks troublesome as it enables a hibernation mode.

Look here for info on it https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

I wonder if it does cause a conflict with the Titan AIC card?

Edit…

Looks like Fast Startup can cause boot loops and issues with device drivers. It may have contributed to the problem I encountered?

Look here https://blogs.systweak.com/how-to-turn-off-fast-startup-in-windows-10/

Hi 1anX,
i’m using a X570 Taichi(2.50) with a GC Titan Ridge and I encountered your same behaviour with the 88 error in Dr. Debug Led.
I solved this issue downgrading to 2.10.
In my case, i found on the internet that it could be related to my iGPU on my 3400G.
Infact, in 2.50 i couldn’t disable the iGPU(BIOS automatically reset the “disable iGPU” to “enable”, probably a BIOS bug)
For the 2.10, my iGPU is automatically disabled and in around 15 boots i’ve had zero issues, so probably BIOS related.
Glad i found someone with my same error!

1 Like

Could just be bugs in AMD’s AGESA (and nothing to do with the Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge AIC):

Currently Zen 2 gets many optimizations/fixes with AGESA updates and there was even a note that only users with Zen 2 CPUs should use the latest BIOS versions.

By product name you might suggest that the 3400G is a Zen 2 CPU, but it is in fact a Zen+ CPU like the Ryzen 2000 series.

1 Like

Thanks Normie for your replay.
Infact I still cannot reach 4.2 Ghz in CinebenchR15 even with 2.50.
2.50 slighlty Increased my Performance but since is a momentary CPU(waiting for the 3950X) I could wait at 2.10 for the Moment.

1 Like

Same here :slight_smile:
Hope I’ll get one next week.

1 Like

I hope so too.
Strange that @1anX is having 88 error without any iGPU in the 3600.
Even a CMOS reset and a fresh 2.50 install hasn’t solved for me.
I’ll hope that 3950X would’t have this problem.
I think that this error could be only related to a BIOS bug at this point.
So we should send support requests to ASRock to investigate further.

They’ll just respond that a third-party non-ASRock Thunderbolt AIC is not supported by ASRock - “For a supported solution, please use our outdated craptastic AIC Rev 2!” :wink:

When installing the new CPU/3950X, I’d also remove the CMOS battery and re-flash the lastest BIOS version, just to avoid any issues in the first place.

1 Like

Since I instinctively always disable Fastboot I don’t have experience with issues that may be caused by this feature.

But, as mentioned I saw the same error code a while back with an ethernet adapter AIC (without the TB AIC in the system), so currently I’d guess that this behavior is just a random bug of the X570 Taichi.

Of course, it’s important to keep your eyes open for any irregularities because we’re crossing unsupported waters with the ASRock X570 Taichi/Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge hardware configuration.

Maybe we could start listing Thunderbolt devices that have worked so far?

• Tested OK: Thunderbolt (3) ethernet bridge to a Mac mini 2018 (Belkin 3 m Thunderbolt 3 cable with 100 W power delivery)

• Tested OK: Thunderbolt (1) ethernet bridge to a Mac mini 2012 with an Apple Thunderbolt 1/2-to-3 adapter.

My setups are currently still a mess from the switch from Intel to AMD so I don’t have much experimenting time on hand.

Normie and Jumper,

All I can say is that my PC boots up nice and fast and the AIC card is detected and communicates with Win 10 fine. Cant test it with a TB3 device as I dont own any at the moment.

I dont think there is an issue with the Titan Ridge AIC as its on Intel’s list of approved devices and I dont think there is much wrong with Asrock’s implementation. If you want to contact Asrock support on this issue I would be happy to relate my experience to them or just send them a link to this thread.

I dont think Asrock will be concerned about the AIC being a Gigabyte product as our graphics cards aren’t required to be Asrock and its just a PCIe plug in with TB header. Reading their blurb on the obsolete card they make, (not even available in Australia) it can be interpreted as simply meaning a suitable AIC TB3 card is required.

If you can be bothered contacting Asrock, they should in theory, be concerned that the same issue has been reproduced by more than one customer. I’m betting its something simple and can be fixed by changing a bios or windows setting. KDavies had zero problems with his Steel Legend MB and this AIC, as mentioned above in this thread. Whatever boot issue I had is now gone and its working fine as far as I can tell.

I’m happy that I found this thread and gave it a try and Asrock should be happy as well as it led to me buying the Taichi MB. I would love to know what caused the boot issue and hopefully Asrock may be able to help!

How did you managed to solve this issue?What BIOS version are you using?
Thanks