[SOLVED] ASRock X570 Taichi/Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge AIC: Thunderbolt 3 devices OK - But USB 3/DisplayPort device Hotplug causes BSoD :(

Are you sure the Gigabyte Titan-ridge 2.0 has dual 100W ports? The 1.0 version has one 100W and one 27 W port and the tech specs on the Gigabyte website are identical. Look at the supported power modes on the ports: the first port supports maximum of 20V @ 5A (100W), but second port only supports max 3A @ 9V (27W).
Why do you think the 2.0 is different?

I could have sworn I saw that on marketing materials - that was the reason it got two PCIE 6-pin power connectors, the new ASUS dual TB3 AIC also features 100 W + 27 W but with a single PCIE 6-pin power connector.

BTW, here’s a uncovered photo of that card. Maybe image enhance on the traces to see where they’re going?

Can the Gigabyte board report ECC errors? That’s the reason I was looking at ASRock boards only so far.

Hey all, I just got an Asrock X570 Taichi and GC Titan Ridge 2.0 and am having some issues. Installed the card in the motherboard just fine, turned on Thunderbolt in bios along with No Security. Downloaded the updated drivers from the Gigabyte website and updated the firmware to 50. The device is recognized just fine with both ports active as displayed in the Thunderbolt Control Center. The device seems to hotplug with non-thunderbolt usb 3.x devices just fine as I have a usb-c ssd to test out the ports with.

The problem I’m having is that when nothing is plugged in, the device seems to keep powering on and off. It keeps making that noise in Windows when you plug in a usb device a few times before making the noise when you take out a usb device. And it constantly does this to the point where I couldn’t stand it anymore and took the device out. It doesn’t do this when a device is plugged in, however. I took the extra step of going into Device Manager and for both the Intel USB 3.1 Extensible Host Controller and the Thunderbolt Controller - 15EB, went into the Properties>Power Management and unchecked the “Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power” box. That didn’t work.

This seems a bit different from the initial issue that was posted here so I’m not sure if it’s the card or the motherboard.

One thing to note is that I have it plugged in to the power supply via a VGA 8-pin to two 6 pin cable. Might that have something to do with it. Do I really need two separate VGA 8-pin to 6 pin cables to plug into the card?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like the header is not allowing the controller to wake properly, and you may have to resort to the pin shorting method. NVM50 is something you run if you’re sticking to the DCH drivers, which are broken for Ryzen use. You need to flash NVM23 and use the older non-DCH driver as Wendell has detailed here:

You need to flash NVM23 with a Gigabyte supplied “FlashTbt” utility. There’s one on this thread: https://egpu.io/forums/postid/87833/

Will try this. Thanks!!

So just flashed to NVM23, deleted the existing driver package per Wendell’s post, and then installed the old driver software package and unfortunately the issue persists. With this configuration I have to have the non-thunderbolt USB 3.x plugged into before boot to detect so no hot swapping of the drive is available this time as when I eject the drive and plug it back in nothing is recognized and within the Thunderbolt Software both ports disappear the minute I remove the device.

However, something interesting still happens when the non-thunderoblt USB 3.x device is plugged in. Even though the device isn’t detected, the constant USB insertion/removal noise disappears entirely.

Anything else I should try?

Read your response too quickly the first time and skipped over the pin shorting part. Did not do that when applying Wendell’s fix. Does the pin-short method require me to flash back to NVM50 and the provided Gigabyte drivers or should I keep the NVM23 with the older driver set with this method?

Thanks!

So far I wasn’t able to find the “platform handles errors first” option (but I majorly dislike the AMD UEFI sub-menues).

You have to disable that feature so that the errors get reported to the OS that hopefully logs them, as far as I know there is no other form of ECC “support” on AM4.

If you just wanted to ask if ECC “works” then yes, the OS reports Multi-bit ECC.

2 Likes

Keep NVM23 and use the pin short method.

Sounds like your device is indeed requesting more amperage than the port can deliver without the PCI-E power connected, so you need both 6 pins connected.

Just a small user experience update:

BIOS settings that work best for me:

• CSM disabled
  • Secure Boot enabled
  • Above 4G decoding enabled
  • IOMMU enabled
  • SR-IOV enabled
  • SVM enabled
  • ASPM L1.1_L1.2
  • Security: User Authorization
  • DMA protection enabled
  • ACS enabled
  • AER capability enabled

In Windows’ security settings: Core Isolation enabled (activates Hyper-V for the host OS)

Tested devices:

ASUS has introduced their first Thunderbolt 4 AIC that needs a motherboard with that stupid 13-pin header :expressionless:

Hope that Gigabyte or ASRock are following soon and that a Thunderbolt 4 AIC doesn’t need these extra pins to operate properly.

While TB4 isn’t that upgrade-worthy compared to Titan Ridge TB3, it’s nice to get a product where you know that the silicon/firmware revision should be as new as possible due to the various Thunderbolt bugs/security issues…

But it’s also nice to get 20 Gbit/s USB-C support.

Unfortunately it looks like that is the new spec. I got a Prime Z390-A just because it’s one of the last boards with the 5 pin header. Guess what? Official support is very broken should you opt for firmware for legacy drivers rather than DCH. And that’s required to run macOS.

Upgrade to TB4 is a big deal in that you can direct connect multiple systems via a TB4 hub and essentially have a TB3-4 peer to peer lan with hardware.

Another interesting note is that a TB4 hub will also work with TB3 (means you don’t need a TB4 port to get the benefit of a TB4 Hub) - you can connect a TB4 hub to a TB3 port and get all the benefits of TB4 hub

It was unexpected for me that a TB4 hub would work with Win 10 and it does; there are some subtle exceptions on the W10 side where it doesn’t work (like I couldn’t get it to work on W10 machine via a titan ridge controller built into the board - I suspect that the firmware could be an issue since the TB4 hub behavior is different for a titan ridge AIC (works) vs a titan ridge in the motherboard

Just to keep this thread current:

The ASRock X570 Taichi Razer Edition also works fine with the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0.

Finally got my GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 and things are working, but not without issues. I do realize that I am using a Thunderbolt 4 Dock, but the TB4 spec should be completely backward-compatible with Titan Ridge Controllers. I do have a Titan Ridge based Dock on order to test with just in case it is related to the TB4 dock I am using. At this point any suggestions are welcome.

Issue Details

• On reboot of the computer, only Video over DisplayPort comes up, while anything that would required data is not working until I unplug the Thunderbolt host cable, wait a few seconds, then plug the Thunderbolt host cable back in.
  • Cold Boot acts the same as reboot
  • Waking from (S3) sleep seems to work fine, with all peripherals becoming usable within 10 seconds (I think I had a few instances where the system crashed after waking from sleep)
  • I am seeing messages in event viewer indicating “further installation is required” for the thunderbolt controller, but it also indicates that the device is working properly.

GC-Titan Ridge 2.0

• Firmware: v50
  • 5 Pin Connected
  • 2 x PCI-E Power Connected
  • 2 x Mini-Displayport Connected
  • Thunderbolt Dock Connected to Port 2

Motherboard Details

• Asrock x570 Taichi
  • BIOS v4.10
  • CPU - 5800X
  • RAM 32GB @ 3600

BIOS Settings

• TB Support - Enabled
  • TB Security Mode - No Security
  • CMS - Disabled
  • Above 4G Decoding - Enabled
  • Re-Size Bar Support - Enabled
  • SR-IOV Support - Enabled
  • Fast Boot - Disabled
  • XMP Profile - Enabled
  • PCIE DEvices Power On - Enabled
  • IOMMU - Enabled
  • DMA Protection - Enabled

Kensington SD5700T Thunderbolt 4 Dock

• USB Keyboard
  • USB Mouse
  • Ethernet Cable
  • 2 x USB-C to Displayport 1.4 Cables
2 Likes

Questions:

1. Have you installed the latest Thunderbolt drivers 1.41.1094.0 directly from Intel?

2. What Windows version are you using? 10 20H2?

3. Have you tried “User Authentication” in the UEFI TB Security options?

(Then connect all your devices once when Windows is up and running and accept the TB devices in Intel’s TB software)

Other than that welcome to this mad house!

Answers

1. Yes, I am using the latest Intel DCH drivers straight from their website
  2. I am using Window 10 20H2, fully updated
  3. I will attempt this later today and report back with the results

well…it looks like setting it to “User Authentication” resolved the issues for me. All peripherals are now working as expected after reboots and cold/warm boots. I’m glad it was so simple!

2 Likes