[SOLVED] ASRock X570 Taichi/Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge AIC: Thunderbolt 3 devices OK - But USB 3/DisplayPort device Hotplug causes BSoD :(

Depending on your PCIe add-in card configuration you can use the card in PCIE 3 as a stand to put a fan on that blows on the chipset heatsink.

Since I use all PCIe slots, PCIE 1 and 3 run both at x8/x8 so it doesn’t matter performance-wise in which slot I put the GPU in.

I put the large GPU in PCIE 3, this way the motherboard USB 3.1 header isn’t obstructed by it and I took an 80 mm Noctua PWM-controlled fan, a little bit of double-sided tape at clued the fan on top the GPU’s backplate.

This way the noisy little chipset fan never turns on (changed its fan control profile in BIOS) and even in silent operation the Noctua fan moves more than enough air over the chipset heatsink so that the SB temperature is always below 60°C, even when heavily using PCIe devices that are handled by the X570 chipset and the directly by the CPU.

So I’ve been reading almost every post in this thread but for the life of me every time I play music or try to make music or play any sort of sound it crackles and makes pop noises and slows down my PC then the UAD Arrow (Audio interface) starts to reconnect

3950x (No overclocking/No PBO
Taichi X570
Corsair vengance RGB pro 64GB of ram
Sapphire Nitro 5700XT
Titan Ridge TB3 card
UAD Arrow audio interface
Installed all drivers for thunderbolt and the audio interface and nothing just crackle and popping.
Please help I’ve been too shy to post but now it’s just ridiculous, I’ve spent 2 months trying to trouble shoot and swap out graphics cards motherboards and nothing, it detects the audio interface fine but it starts to crackle and pop.
Also enabled Thunderbolt in Bios/No security
Thanks in advance.

• Have you tried a different Thunderbolt cable (with a MOTU USB audio interface I experienced the same sound artefact issues you’re describing with a bad USB cable)

• What Thunderbolt drivers are you using? The legacy or DCH ones?

• Did you update the firmware of the GC-Titan Ridge card?

• What exact version of Windows 10 (1903, 1909)?

• Is the GPU connected to the display via HDMI or DisplayPort?

May sound weird, but I’ve had AMD driver issues with a display connected via HDMi that completely went away when switching to DP, weird system slow downs, lagging window movements etc.

Why is the USB 2.0 connection to the motherboard required? Does the Titan Ridge controller have a built-in USB 3.1 Gen 2 controller but no USB 2.0 controller?

Will the Thunderbolt 3 ports work in USB Type-C mode if I don’t connect the DisplayPort cables?

I am using the dch ones, not sure where to get the legacy drivers, I am using windows 10 1909 (I’ve tried workstation/pro/currently on home version) this really sucks I don’t wanna give up my UAD Arrow interface for $210 at guitar center when it retails for $500, its crazy. Saw this message and was so close to giving it in so I told them I’m going to hang on to it lol. I don’t really have another cable by the way the cable I have is also 40Gps thunderbolt 3

Edit: if I may add , when it connects it’ll disconnect and tries to reconnects And it slows my computer down to a halt, it’s horrible.

In this thread post by Wendell, it shows how to remove the DCH drivers, and (yes, kind of weird) go to Intel’s page and get the legacy drivers.

So it turns out that I had the legacy drivers installed, so what I did was format my PC and install windows 10 version 1803 with legacy drivers and still no go, I’m so sad I don’t know what to do anymore. I tried everything I also swapped out the cable and nothing I wonder if my interface is just faulty idk man I’m about to shoot myself I really don’t wanna give it up but I’m going to have to.

Windows 10 1803 is no longer supported and not recommended for Ryzen 3000 systems since Windows 10 has received many fixes for Ryzen CPUs since 1903.

Try installing on an erased drive with the latest Windows 10 1909 version. You can download the media creation tool here, you can create an USB thumb drive for the installation or an .iso file you can further handle as you’re used to.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Some stuff to look after:

• Before installing Windows, go into the BIOS and disable CSM in the Boot options

• Keep an USB-C device (3.1 or Thunderbolt, turned on if powered by an external power supply) attached to the GC-Titan Ridge during the installation process

• Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed and do the CREATIVE.ROM USB Flashback restore option once to prevent avoidable BIOS issues:

The upcoming BIOS production-ready BIOS P2.81 with further general fixes is already available on a German retailer shop site whose boss is also handling German ASRock support.

Go to the bottom of this site and select “X570 Taichi Version 2.81” in the “BIOS Downloads Auswahl” drop-down menu

https://shop.jzelectronic.de/news.php?id=1582112220&sw=

In this thread is a detailed manual how to “properly” restore the installed BIOS, here’s a link to find it more easily:

After the Windows 10 1909 installation only download & install the most recent drivers from the components manufacturers’ websites:

1 Like

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10clZsxMMnp2UxbW6L5yivK1opZOBOEgz/view?usp=drivesdk so I uploaded a video of the issue, I just wanna cry, makes no sense with 16 cores and everything all drivers installed.
Thanks again for the help.

Did you change anything in your bios? Besides enabling thunderbolt 3 and “No security”

Do you get any clicks and pops like on my previous post where I posted a video?

I ordered an apollo x6. I have ryzen 7 2700 and thinking to buy the Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming itx!!Why you didn’t buy the same motherboard that has thunderbolt 3 port and you bought Asrock Taichi that has header?..please if you know something tell me…I mean if Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming itx isn’t stable and should buy the same combo as yours!!!

Hello, you have a ryzen cpu with thunderbolt 3 working with some interface (apollo-quantum)

Honestly either run away from AMD if you want thunderbolt 3 and get Intel 9900k cheaper and less headaches, unless you wanna dl video editing like me then you want the multi core but then you’ll have to sacrifice thunderbolt because its not work for nothing in the world.

Just my 2 cents, btw guitar center says one thing and microcenter another and they both blame eachother… ive literally left a video and no response from anyone, plus the taichi gets dumb hot i dont get it…

I would add to this that I think only win 1909 and later is tested with tb dch drivers. I retried 1903 and it’s a dumpster fire but I happened to have 1909 installed on the phantom gaming itx and whaddaya know tb3 dch is working there.

It is a fresh install of windows though.

I need to get one of these audio interfaces to qualify it. Reeee

Thanks for the reply, im on my 28th day to return all of this, if tb3 doesnt work fine ill return the just the tb3 card and keep the rest, but the temps just scare me, any idea how to have this idle around 28c to 35c without having fans sounding like a tornado or can you direct me to a good thread for best taichi settings because im ripping my hairs off regret leaving intel and all because i hate the stutter i used to get with intel. Thanks in advance! I wanna make music already!

And ive tried 1909 windows 10 and now 1803 and nothing just a bunch of random glitches…

I also have DCH drivers I think (installed from gigabyte GC-TITANRIDGE page), and no issues. Tested with a thunderbolt NVME drive and with thunderbolt network connection to my laptop.
I use the TRX40 designare and it looks like I have build 1903

1 Like

Hi…have you tested the thunderbolt with your ryzen…I need this feedback because I have ryzen 7 2700 and an audio interface called apollo x6…

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1160865-amd-ryzen-amp-uad-2-thread-5.html#post14381416..Man have read all these?many people report that can work with thunderbolt and ryzen!!please tell me if you find a solution!!I am ready to buy apollo x6…I don’t know. This is my Facebook, please tell me!!(Zorbas Giwrgos - Fb)

yes but not an audio interface. the designare tx40 is A+ tb support. I was talking about the asrock phantom gaming which, depending on bios version, is fine or maybe needs a bit of fiddling.

Would appreciate any help. I have the Gigabyte TRX40 Designare and every time I’ve put the included Titan Ridge card in the bottom slot (or any slot) the computer either stop on d4 error (Resource allocation) or shuts down during boot up. Starting to wonder if I have a bad card.