Solus isn't that great

They wrote Budgie

I think the only thing they used, is just the base linux (I.e. like just the absolute bare metal open source kernel itself) and then built eveything up from there.

2 Likes

I gave it a try last year I think, and I didn't like it. But my days of distro hopping are over. It's fun if you have the time, but I don't. I've been on Ubuntu MATE for a while now and it's rock solid and easy to use. Some would say that it's a lazy man's Linux, but I'd say it's a busy man's Linux. It does what an OS is supposed to do - it makes my life easier.

5 Likes

it is based on ubuntu though so its not a "from scratch"

Its not "based" on anything lol

it says they did a rewrite but in LAS and late night linux he has said what it is based on.

Its entirely its own thing and has been for a long time

Just launched it in VM. I see a linux kernel, lightdm, Gnome utilities, systemd and some usual open source software, like hexchat, vlcplayer, etc. So they wrote a DE (budgie) using GTK and Python, and probably installer and package manager.

Edit: what I mean is they didn't "write the OS". They built a distribution (and yes, it's still a lot of work if done properly), but hardly "from scratch".

3 Likes

I never brought up risc in my post and I haven't mentioned it recently, as in months, and you're still pissing away about it.

I dunno man, I think you're the koolaid addict here not me.

Still.
Its not like its based of a different OS like ones that are simply forks.

1 Like

bringing it back to Aremis's issues. he's right there are issues with this, did you check the bug tracker https://dev.solus-project.com

They still havent added support for AMD GPUs lol. Well. You can use it but only with stock drivers which are crap.
So yeah there are issues but I don't think it deserves a beat down :P

It deserves more attention and not just a pat on the butt and a shakenof the finger, not the microshaft treatment.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/solus-master-race/113032?u=schyken&source_topic_id=114111

2 Likes

Can I do jack shit about it? No. Can you? Maybe maybe not
There's a

whole entire solus forum you can post to and get actual stuff worked on instead of just bitching and moaning here where I'm 99% sure no Solus Devs are

1 Like

mmmm

Solus people are not the nicest people.

I can see why he posted it here.

Plus he is saving others here some time ( in theory ). Because if it were not for this they would have to download and try it out themselves. Of course peoples should always try things out first hand.

2 Likes

No its just @FaunCB is continually strange and I dislike him
Also happen to like solus

1 Like

I'm sorry fam. I take it back. Solus people are nice people.

2 Likes

Lol. I mean. I like solus but won't use it yet. Because no AMDGPUPRO support. Among other minor things

1 Like

Solus is really incomplete but fans of the project act like it's currently the greatest thing ever. I don't see what's wrong with his critique

2 Likes