So I just won a r9 290x , what should I do with it?

We participate in a few contests hoping to win a grand prize, come on, that's what we all have done atleast once. So did I. What I didn't expect though, was that I would win. Et voila, I won.

The grand prize was a Sapphire R9 290X, have a look at this link: http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-21226-00-40G/dp/B00FLMKQY2/

After some research I came to the conclusion that this card runs flippin hot, the cooler isn't that great. It consumes a lot of electricity, and is pretty loud. I sure would like to build a gaming computer or a cryptocurrency mining rig with this, but I'm worried about the temperatures, the power it consumes and the noise. 

That's why I ask your help. What would you do with this particular card? Maybe I can sell it and buy a better one? Or should I not worry about it?

Thank you!

Don't worry about the heat. They are designed to run hot. Also don't worry about power consumption. Even with it running at 100% 24/7, it's not going to make too much of a difference on your electric bill. As for noise, that's rather subjective. Some people don't care and others want quiet operation. 

Personally, I care far more about the performance of a card than it's noise and heat. 

What you want to do with it is up to you, really.

Sell it and buy a GTX 780 ;)

Hot you say?

Not anymore............

http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/products/cooling/vga/accelero-xtreme-iii.html

Slap a custom cooler on it.

I can personally vouch for these.

I put one on my GTX 470.  Insane how cool and quiet it ran.  They are huge though.

I would probably sell it. I don't see you mentioned what you currently have. If your current card is good enough to last a year or two. I would probably sell it and invest in something you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwfb99UoK4

i would sell it, it's going for 200 bucks over MSRP so 6bills right into your pocket

Which cooler do you recommend? I have never done that before, how can I put a custom cooler on the card?

My current GPU is a quadro fx 1800 . It's derp at gaming, but I'm not sure if I will need all performance of the 290x . For how much would you think I can sell it?

What is the temperature they are supposed to have when they are running at 100% ?

Interesting..

Would you like to explain this further? Is this watercooling for the gpu?

Yes it is, its an NZXT Kraken X40 with Kraken G10 adapter, it should make that card run cooler and quieter

First off congrats on winning something I am sure there are quite a few jealous people out there. Secondly I may be one of the few people responding that actually own this card albeit the XFX version. First off it is a solid GPU I play everything on max settings and usually have no problem staying at or above 60 FPS. The card CAN run hot the highest I have seen mine get with auto fan control is 89 Celsius but I usually do manual fan control with ASUS GPU tweak. On auto it stays pretty silent hardly breaking 35% fan speed if you want it cooler it gets louder, at 100% fan speed it can be rather loud BUT I have only had it above 60% to see how loud it is. As far a power consumption goes(this is no way a scientific example) the month I finished my current build I also got a 47" flat screen TV for my daughters room and our power bill went up a whooping $3 so if there is a difference from my 7870 to the R9 290x it is negligible at best. 

In summary if you want a solid card use it. If you want money sell it I wont even judge you on the ethics of entering a contest for an item to just sell it.

I believe it's 95*C they aim for, but don't quote me on that.

Thank you for the explanation. I think I'll just keep the card and build a system with it. 

Mae, what are your current system specs?

It's not a bad idea to take advantage of the high demand, sell it and get a new GPU that is better suited to your system/needs and pocket the rest of the cash. If you want to game and yet your Quadro FX1800 isn't cutting it, maybe it's time for an upgrade?