Small windows problems thread

Thanks!
We ended up upgrading the GPU on it (GT1030), fixed the issue, I think the G210 compatible driver was much too old for W11 22H2.

1 Like

Sounds like that would do it! :blush: gj!

1 Like

I had issues with windows sleep not working like suspend to ram on fedora
https://blag.nullteilerfrei.de/2019/03/05/stop-entering-away-mode/
I searched it a while back and found this link referenced from this post.
https://old.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/p1lf9b/windows_10_pro_does_not_enter_sleep_only_turns/hc3ieyf/
I finally had a moment to test this out and it solved my issues

Heyā€¦ So, has anyone experienced lag when accessing steam on win11?

launching a full screen app reverts to good performance. steam overlay is fine. desktop fine.
just when steam running, mouse will move for a couple seconds, the freeze fro a couple, ans while mouse is in the area of the steam UI, it pauses the system.
even the meta / windows key is unresponsive (not queued) during the couple seconds lag. after lag, no queueuued commands / actions take effect, but new commands are processedā€¦ for a couple seconds before pauseā€¦

anyone else?

I disabled hardware acceleration and some flags I could think ofā€¦

Advice needed
I have inherited a Storage-Server VM that some time in its past used to be hardware. Said VM has multiple (virtual) Disks, all of which are MBR so top out at 2048GB per volume.
Since it is so old, there is one volume (at max capacity) that contains most of the companies active data.

Question is, since MBR can not be converted to GUID-Partition (GPT) and I have to migrate all the files stored on there anyway: Do I create one (virtual) Disk per department or just one Disk for all of them?

Second question: mklink works to invisibly redirect users and software/services accessing the files on the ā€œoldā€ drive to the new drive, right?

GPT would be up to 9.5 ZB, which would be enough storage (unlike the 2TB limit of MBRā€¦)

Whatā€™s this now?

MBR2GPT.EXE converts a disk from the Master Boot Record (MBR) to the GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition style without modifying or deleting data on the disk.

Arenā€™t we talking about file shares? You can just stop sharing the folder on the old drive, and start sharing the folder on the new drive with the same share name.

2 Likes

yepā€¦ worked for me, did this last year on my boot drive.
no issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

Microsoft Server is not mentioned anywhere on the article, which is what lead me to conclude MS does not want anyone to shoot their server in the face.

In other words, clone all the directories and files, then create new shares stemming from the new location?

1 Like

well i dunno if this is gonna be a problem for anyone else.
but this morning i booted msconfig went to the advanced tab
set my core count hit apply and all was good, set the memory, hit apply and the memory counter flipped to zeroā€¦
i tried againā€¦ same thingā€¦ i hit apply and ok, and was asked to reboot andā€¦

BSOD! boot config info error.
reboot, same, reboot googles fixā€¦ NOTHINGS WORKED!. restore/reg backup/dism nope!. googles more fixesā€¦ and fresh install is the only option.
so now im trying to make a bootable iso for the second time in a month. :frowning:

fair warning this was a relatively fresh install with a windows with decrapifier script applied (this may be the root cause)ā€¦ but just in case it isnt im giving a heads up.

msconfig might be broken.

Always have an up-to-date backup before you change anything. And if someone often messes with the system, even use a separate dedicated SSD, which quickly clone and perform preliminary tests on. It really saves a lot of time compared to reinstalling.

If bare metal isnā€™t a practical approach, even a virtual machine can act as a testbed to some extent.

generally i would 10/10 that adviceā€¦ but i was just setting windows upā€¦
nothing was experimental and i certainly wasnt expecting windows to completely brick after adjusting a basic setting i had adjusted many times without issues since win xp.

msconfig just up and shot windows in the face.

In times when no one tests sys before releasing it to people, we can unfortunately expect that it will only get worseā€¦

1 Like

But we are the beta testers, before they fling it over the wall at enterpriseā€¦

1 Like

My work laptopā€™s system resources was getting hogged by the search indexer. This was a good guide for disabling it

from
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-search-indexing-permanently/3b2fc340-59d8-4c41-8c00-46118b9985db

Iā€™m kindly asking for guidance.

The issue

Iā€™ve enabled Wake-on-Lan on my Win10Pro box and it works, so that my Ubuntu box can wake up the Win box, but there is a problem - the Windows PC randomly wakes up, sometimes after 10 seconds, sometimes after an hour after going to sleep. The journal shows that the Intel NIC is waking up the system, even though I didnā€™t send any Magic Packet to it.
I found several threads on the internet about people with similar issue, but no sane resolution. Maybe someone here has an idea how to proceed.

Hardware | Software

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-V | 12.18.9.23 12.19.2.56
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK | 1.C0
Mikrotik hAP ac2 | RouterOS v6.49.8 (stable)

What I did

• enable WOL in BIOS
  • enable Wake on Magic Packet in NIC advanced options
  • check Allow to wake system by this device box in NIC power options
  • check Only allow the Magic Packet to wake system in NIC power options
  • disable Wake on pattern match in NIC advanced options
  • disable Wake on link settings in NIC advanced options

What else comes to mind

Should I learn how sniff packets on the router and check if any other device on the network sends Magic Packets without me knowing?
Wireshark shows that Magic Packets sent while the PC is running are discarded.

Update 1

Iā€™ve updated the NIC driver from 12.18.9.23 to 12.19.2.56 ā†’ issue persists.

It seems this has been an issue plaguing Windows since basically forever. My PC would randomly do that too and the solution was to disable WOL, whichā€¦ obviously isnā€™t one for you. I donā€™t think I had ever found a different solution so I just turned it off every time I had that issue.

Thanks mihawk for your response. No mix of options and toggles seems to resolve the issue. I guess I will have to buy a NAS instead. @qtwork you told me so.

Update 2

DIsabling USB in S4/S5 does nothing. But funnily enough if I have:

• WOL enabled in BIOS
  • WOL disabled in Windows

the PC still randomly wakes up, but this time Windows Journaling shows the same event triggered by USB instead of the Intel NIC. What kind of fuckery is this? :rofl:
Wake on USB is disabled in BIOS.

Why not just nuke Windows and install a NAS-OS on it? There are plenty of options and all of them are cheaper then buying a new NAS.
Either way a proper NAS with an appropriate Filesystem is probably better for your data anyway then janking things with Windows.

This is my daily/gaming PC. I just wanted to add a drive to the big box for nightly backups from my laptop/htpc/server. A drive or two are cheaper than a full system.

Update 3

Iā€™ve reverted the changes and am considering just buying a NAS appliance.

I donā€™t want to be that guy you know. I was merely throwing the usual lounge gossip at you.

Looking forward to hear about your new NAS though :wink: