Small windows problems thread

more or less, but really every major version update of windows 10 is like this which happens roughly every 6 months

1 Like

Ah understood. I guess this usually happens automatically during the inactive hours I configured so Iā€™ve never seen it in action.

tbh for stuff like that I use shutup10 to turn off updates and do this for when Iā€™m ready to update

probably not recommended

1 Like

This thing is basically a glorified xbox to me. Iā€™m going to let it try to update itself at 5am each day to whatever extent itā€™s able to. Using the media creation tool to do a clean update when that fails is the pragmatic advice I was looking for, so thank you for that.

When I searched the issue, I found half a dozen different gui and/or powershell try-it-and-see solutions that were getting me nowhere.

Thatā€™s properly screwed up then.

Doing the upgrade/reinstall in place is probably the right choice.

1 Like

I have graduated to ā€œthis might take several minutesā€. Home stretch?

Huzzah! And Iā€™ve been rewarded with a Microsoft Edge shortcut on my desktop. Upgrade completed!

Thanks @Adubs

Oh wait, there are still .net updatesā€¦ okā€¦ and need to restart again.

ā€¦and weā€™re good.

After that is the do you want some or all of the telemetry step, then the the force edge down your throat step, then it should be done.

1 Like

After all of that, they can livestream me dying in Doom Eternal all night, I donā€™t care. I want to keep this delicate beast in as close to stock configuration as possible.

it doesnt matter since intel is blasting 3G to the FBI showing them your yaoi collection

2 Likes

Itā€™s been a few years since I used Windows now but I got that a couple times during my usage of the Tech Preview (though not sure if it was the exact same error code).

If I recall correctly the solution was basically disabling Windows Update, getting rid of the Windows Update Cache and Delivery directories, restart, then re-enable Windows Update. That always worked for me.

I had a guide for it at the time but I donā€™t think Iā€™d find it againā€¦

1 Like

Hello,

Kind of a semi-question/need help scenario going on. Is it actually possible to install new RTX 3090 on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB?
Iā€™ve been trying to manually install drivers through the Device Manager but after unpacking the Nvidia drivers, even though I can see them in the .inf files they dont appear has options.

Of course searching the internet yields such interesting results as ā€œJust install a newer version of windowsā€ which seems like kinda of a lazy response.

So, any takers. Also Iā€™m new here, heard this was a cool place :smile:

LTSB or LTSC?

LTSB is 1507 and 1607, LTSC is 1809.

Also, make sure you are getting the standard version of the driver, not the DCH version, as the DCH version might have issues without the store and stuff.

I did try with the standard version. The normal installer hangs on ā€œInstalling graphics driverā€ and immedietly shows a failed to install.

How did you set up the nic in virtual box?

Well youā€™ll need to configure the nic then.

1 Like

Is there a repo tool like Brew for windows arm?

Has anyone ever tackled the problem of geofencing laptops/windows tablets?

I saw that azure has some capabilities with geofencing areas, but I think weā€™d need to find devices that can be inserted internally into a tablet in order for geofencing to work externally. Iā€™d be curious what can be done with the sim card slot on most laptops nowadays.

geofencing in what way?

For example a plant in Detroit, we would have a ā€˜line pcā€™ which is literally that, a pc on the production line that may have an application that would trigger PLC data, for taking pictures of issues etc. We want to prevent that computer from being turned off and ā€œLeavingā€ the plant.