Skylake-X High Core Count Full Specs Released

So Intel released the full details for their 12+ core HEDT parts.

intel_core_x-series_processor_family_near_final-page-003_678x452

Interestingly it seems as though the leaks the past week or so were correct. Base clocks are generally under 3Ghz except for the 14 core which clocks higher than the 12. Assuming to keep the 12 at 140W TDP

TDPs have also been raised for the 14 core+ models to 165W. All turbo between 4.2 and 4.4. although this is two core max without AVX. Full load and how motherboard venders implement all core enhancement may change it.

Prices haven’t moved either.

12 core is launching August 28th and the rest September 25th…

Full details here.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11698/intel-finalizes-skylakex-processor-specifications-18cores-44-ghz-165w-on-september-25th

Personally I’m betting on ThreadRipper here but will be interesting to see them go head to head. Will be a bit of a wait though.

2 Likes

The Haswell E dumps on the used market are gonna be sick

As far as I can tell Haswell E is better and lower power for most things.

4 Likes

Im looking forward to upgrade my trusty 5820k to a 5960x, because i dont see any need for x299 compared to x99, or to broadwell since haswell overclocks better.

-Fallen

2 Likes

This will going to be a nice battle with Threadripper.
We will see.

Going to be interesting to see what that “165W” means in practice.

Having said that, dumping Haswell-E for Skylake-X, if you don’t “need” moar corez, is not something I would expect an informed consumer to do, given that we’re basically talking about the same IPC with unhealthily high(er) factory (over)clocks – hence the atrocious power draw – while the current lack of optimization for the new mesh arch (plus the ringbus’s advantages at <=10c) causes them to perform worse than the last gen in a number of ways.

You’re underestimating the amount of people that do HEDT because they have more money than sense.

when Broadwell E came out I made a killing on Flipping ivy bridge builds.

1 Like

Yeah well with SkylakeX you do get more chipset lanes.
And a dmi3.0 4x bus interface.
But yeah other then that not really that much interesting new stuff with SkylakeX.

1 Like

Yeah which are all bottlenecked by a single X4 connection to the CPU so pretty useless imo

Eh. They’re workstation chips at this point, and not that compelling ones at that. They only make sense for those doing AVX512 really. For gamers they make no sense. For workstation use, they don’t really make sense (because Epyc, Threadripper, or Xeon). Really unless AVX512 is quint essential to everything your doing, you might as well buy something else.

1 Like

Yeah it is such a super niche case and running AVX512 is gonna kill those clock speeds too.

2 Likes

Skylake-X is Intel’s RX Vega, except its not two products but an entire lineup of fuckups.

1 Like

NetBurst™ two: electric boogaloo

1 Like

Yeah but the dmi bus is pci-e 3.0 4x on SkylakeX
The dmi bus on Haswell-e is only pci-e 2.0 4x.
So that is still an improvement of sorts, dual the bandwith between cpu and chipset.

IDK I wouldn’t say it is a complete fuck up. When it works god damn it stomps everything in its path but at the cost of insane heat and power consumption. Coupled that with the price, nerfed IO and performance in unoptimized workloads it becomes really hard to recommend.

Just saw apparently a leaked bench of a stock 16 core X299 part. Cinebench it pulls in around 3200. Little under at stock. So about 80 points more than Threadripper at stock. So yeah it is faster. Is it worth the extra $700? I don’t think so. Especially when I almost guarantee it is using more power.

Double the bandwidth yet still can be saturated completely by a good NVME SSD…

If you have something bad then replace it with something that is slightly better but still can’t perform it really doesn’t make much of a difference IMO. You’re at the same place essentially.

Still there isnt really anything better yet.

Yeah true. But in 3 more days there will be…

Yeah cant wait for that battle X299 vs X399.
Of course in terms of pci-e lane count available to the cpu, thats allready a big win for Treadripper.

Yeah but here’s where I look at it from. If your paying $1700 for a cpu, you might as well go TR, Xeon, or Epyc. Anyone that wants one of these for anything but workstation use is out of their mind, considering the cost and considering how alternatives can do everything Skylake-X can do, cheaper, and depending on case, faster.

Alternatives to a $1700 Intel 7960XE or $2000 7980XE:

1 Epyc 7401, 24 cores @ 2.8Ghz all cores $1850
2 Epyc 7301’s, 32 Total cores @ 2.7Ghz all cores >$1600

I don’t know of any workload that would scale across a 16 core or 18 core part that wouldn’t also scale across 24 or 32 cores. I just don’t see a usecase outside of AVX512. Hell even if you go for a $1000 1950X and buy an extra $700 worth of GPU.

2 Likes

So what kind of ssd/raid data throughput speeds would you need to saturate x299’s chipset<>CPU connection, and what might that be relevant for? video editing? genomics / bioinformatics data set reads?

I don’t really understand this tbh. A lot of users aren’t going to use like 18 or 24 core CPU’s. A lot of desktop use cases don’t even use them.