Skylake-X High Core Count Full Specs Released

It is essentially a x4 PCIE link.

So theoretical max bandwidth is around 4GB/sec. Actual bandwidth is a bit less.

A single 960 Evo for example at 3.2GB/sec would come awully close. You then have to remember that interface is shared by SATA and ethernet connectivity as well. further splitting it.

So yes a single high end SSD could saturate it easily. So even transferring lage files between SSDs or from a network to an SSD would be enough to saturate it. Especially when you consider most X299 boards have multiple M.2 slots… Bandwidth gets tight.

So even a normal power user could fill it. Not even super high end pro workloads.

1 Like

Actuality the 32Gbps you get with a x4 is includes any PCIe transaction packet overhead, and it’s a 4KiB max transfer size, I wouldn’t be surprised if the 3.2GB/s transfer speeds on the 960 PCIe were bottlenecked by PCIe

I am not sure what Intel is doing here. Looking at Anandtechs tabel with the TR-1950X and i9-7960X, you get a bit more turbo (not on all cores?), a bit less cache and 15W less TDP (at least Intel claims that) and less PCI lanes, for 700 bucks more!?

Looking back at Anandtechs “Server CPU faceoff”, the i9-7960s TDP has to be taken with a shovel of salt.

The i9-7980XE however… for 2000 dollars, you might aswell go Xeon 6130 ($1894) or with Epyc 7401 ($1850) to enjoy features your “price class” should be bundled with.

1 Like

$700 worth of GPU sounds like a lot…

Love that all core boost clocks way fucking lower then their boost you see on the image

Those 2.0 boosts look good till you look at how it breaks down when more cores are used.

2 Likes

Yeah they should really stop with these obfuscatory terms – just list the possible all-core turbo, max single core turbo; the ‘base clock’ is meaningless given that everything now downclocks when idle.

So figure 16/32 @ 4.1 maybe vs 18/36 @ 3.6 maybe

fuck i really should try and math this late

Going with 15% faster stock v stock

Base clock has nothing to do with CPU idle speed.

Base clock refers to the absolute minimum speed the CPU will run on all cores under worst case scenarios.

IE all cores engaged with AVX or something along those lines. Basically it is a minimum guarantee of speed.

Also, in Intel’s case, it is where they define TDP

Okay. So you’re saying that 2.0 boost clock thing is a lie? Or is there a bureaucratic reason why avx(2) perf isn’t relevant for those turbo 2.0 minimums?

No boost 2.0 is what it will go to if there is not issues with power/temp ect.

3.0 = 2 cores.

Basically the TDP on Intel is meaningless then, k.

Not quite – it informs you of the minimum power draw under full load. Except it doesn’t, because when it’s at base clock, it’s because it’s being heavily heated. :wink:

I don’t think you know how wattage works

2 Likes

No it isn’t a lie.

AVX loads use quite a bit more power and therefore can’t boost as high. You’ll likely still see some boost over base but not as much. Bar clock is just absolute minimum under worse case scenarios.

If the motherboard has all core enhancement which nearly all do now the boost becomes less relevant since it pushes all cores to max turbo. Basically an automatic overclock

No.

TDP isn’t a fantastic measure of anything because everyone does it differently and there are a million other factors.

Generally TDP and actual power draw and heat were very close on Intel CPUs. If it says 91W it generally was. However Skylake-X is not that. It pulls way more than the TDP

1 Like

So anywhere from 17-37% for double the money pass

I wonder how much electricity is required to gain those 37% in cine bench.

1 Like

There’s a little chatter around that it’s not actually a proper boost, but an overclock since the all-core boost leaked so far is nowhere near 4.2GHz.

Can’t imagine there will be too many reviewers getting samples of these either.

@DerKrieger was saying there is some bios setting that enables the boost on all cores so could tech not be OC but those benchmarks with 18/36 dont take very long so probably wont be sustainable in a real stable OC without a very solid cooling solution

1 Like

Like dry ice! :joy: