Should i get Elite: Dangerous?

Yes you should.

1 Like

I have.

It’s spreadsheet simulator. You spend 6 months training your character to fly a dinghy effectively and the result is you can right click a target and click orbit at 5km.

3 Likes

If you like flying then it’s a good game, the flight mechanics are solid and easily the best part of the game. If you want RPG stuff then it doesn’t have any of that. You have to have your own motivations for doing whatever you want to do as the game doesn’t really give you any, it just gives you a galaxy and says off you go.

2 Likes

Wait for SC. Or buy. Do both!!! SPEND ALL THE MONEY!!

Hey aren’t you that guy who was being juvenile in that other thread i started?

I’ve been playing Elite for a few years now, and while it does still feel lacking in features, I can say that over all it has gotten MUCH better since it released. The progress is coming at a snails pace to be sure, but it is coming.

That said, the game certainly isn’t for everyone. If you want to like Elite, it’s going to require a lot of patience. It is not an Arcade space shooter. What it is, is a Life size Milkyway Galaxy / Space ship pilot simulator. It has more in common with a Gran Turismo racing game than with most other space games.

Yea, but you can get out of your ship with an SRV and drive around on planets if that’s any consolation. What Frontier are doing is building a foundation for the ultimate space sim. In a space sim, the space ships are more important. They plan on supporting this game for 10 years at least. But not wanting to wait around for the features you want is understandable.

Personally, I like it because it’s pretty much everything I ever wanted in a Star Trek game and never got. I can hop in a space ship, and go explore the galaxy. A full scale life size galaxy, with static environments that are proceduraly generated yes, but the same for everyone. We share the game world and discover it together. I have already been the first to discover several interesting and unique systems and earth like planets that could someday have my own station orbiting them (or one with my name on it anyway)0.

But the point of Elite is, you can “live the space life”. Be a trucker, a bounty hunter, a pirate, and explorer, a miner, a political activist, a mercenary, a slave trader. It is definitely a role playing game if you’re into role playing in the traditional sense. But if you’re looking stats and XP, this is not your game. But if you like tinkering with your cars in Gran Turismo, you can do that with Space Ships in Elite.

It’s not without it’s flaws, but it has it’s place.

I mean… i like the idea of being the character i create. Even if it isn’t as dynamic as SC plans on being. No FPS? Fine. All general activities that makes an impact on the game world done in your ship? Sure. I played EVE. But E:D seems really redundant.

And i do expect a game. That’s what it is, isn’t it? I like large scale and scope. I don’t consider it anything else other than a game with large scale and scope. That’s what SC is. That’s what many games are already. There just doesn’t seem like there’s anything real and alive to interact with other than menus. I feel like i’d feel claustrophobic playing E:D. I’m just very frustrated by the timing. I wish it was more complete. I mean, even if SC 3.0 comes out 2-3 months from now… it looks like it’ll offer far more than this?

What a game is or isn’t is relative. Different folks like different types of games. I prefer Gran Turismo over Need for Speed, but obliviously not everyone is going to agree with me. In Elite, the space ships and the Galaxy are the stars of the game. The closest thing out there that it sounds like you want is No Man’s Sky. But in that, you have no character at all, you can just get out of your ship.

To answer your question. No you shouldn’t get Elite Dangerous. Sounds like it’s not for you.

1 Like

I heard No Man’s Sky is extremely devoid of any content. That definitely doesn’t sound like a good recommendation. And you can’t actually make a character? Sounds awful.

Don’t you know No Man’s Sky is a sci-fi horror? It’s about how you’re alone in the universe and no matter who you talk to you won’t understand them, so you learn like in real life… One. WORD. AT A TIME.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I personally think that user character design is FAR overdone, a blank slate (eg not initially choosing or clearly displaying a race, gender, voice or looks) allows the user to project themselves as making the choice far more than when their first choice is to design a character before understanding how they fit into the world. That manly man beard you put on your fallout4 character? Yeah, that changed how you thought about choices he made. Make an attractive higher society looking lady and you’ll play differently to if you build a rough scarred raider… and this charactatured play can negatively impact how engaged you are in a story. This was a jarring fault in FO4 vs all its previous games, they tried to make you compelled to act in a certain way not via an expanding sense of necessity as you play, but as a front loaded pretext to an otherwise empty character that may not line up with whom your trying to be. An example of a game that does this really well is the older mass effect games, but due to the ease of visual customization being integrated into games its become rare in AAA of late, being a classic expected feature thats easy to add, yet a choice that often hurts the story.

Alternately the opposite also works, to make a player play a certain way through emotional investment in a given existing character. This is why telltales games fly off the shelves even though game play wise they are not very inherently interesting via mechanics, and story wise we sometimes already know everything that happens (wolf among us, walking dead michonne).

Also bonus hats off to rust for the random assigning, that forced some people to check their biases for sure.

Without reading any other comment in this thread I will tell you my personal opinion.
First let’s answer your question. Don’t buy the game.
I own the game for some time now and honestly this is the only game purchase I currently regret.
The game starts nicely with new things to learn, it’s difficult, everything is new and interesting. And 3 hours in you already know all the basic commands and buttons and a realization starts to creep in: the game is just boring. There is no structure. There is no questlines or anything. There is no investment in any mission you do. There are factions and stuff, but you don’t see any people or aliens or anything… The missions are your standard transport, fetch, kill, bla bla bla… Yes, you can be a trader, miner, scavenger, fighter, what ever. Why you mine? To sell. You don’t build stuff. May be 150 hours in some new mechanics will open up and change the game completely…
I have, I believe 15 hours in the game. Gave it plenty of time to win me over. It did not.
Tl;DR the game is boring. It quickly falls into a routine of go here, trade or take a mission, then go there and trade or finish the mission…
“It’s more fun with friends” is not an argument. Everything is more fun with friends. It’s the friends, not the game, that makes the fun…

4 Likes

Me? Most likely.

Same. Bought it for the VR experience and I’m still disappointed.

1 Like

for me, i find it very much a relaxing sandbox. By relaxing, I mean I set it so I wouldn’t interact with other players as soon as I booted it up.
“BUTBUTBUT WHAT’S THE POINT IF YOU CAN’T PLAY WITH OTHER PEOPLEEE”

the point is I get to fly my space truck without fear of some shitbag troll or even a clan of shitbag trolls camping just outside the no fire zone of a station, waiting to nuke me out of an hours worth of play time. Seriously, why ANYONE would bother with Open mode is so far beyond me. Making money is a skill in that game, a skill you have to learn and cultivate. Since some of the ships cost multiple millions of credits, and somebody can literally take that away in under a minute, I see less than zero reason to concern myself by playing with other people.

So what I’m left with is a markedly less TURBULENT experience, but it means I can stick on various playlists in my media player, and do whatever I feel like doing that day. It’s very much a Make Your Own Fun kind of thing, and I’m 200% okay with that.

But from reading your posts, it sounds like it wouldn’t really be for you.

2 Likes

Well if you want to have a space based game that is pretty good ya go for ED. If you wanna keep pissing your money away on a dream that will Never come then SC is for you.

Personally I still wing commander 3/4 a lot but that’s just me.

1 Like

Rust randomly made me a naked black woman and i have never felt more alive.

See, that’s what i heard about it, too. Really monotonous and the same BS. If that’s the case, then no thanks. I think i’ll check back on it 2-3 years from now and see where it’s at. If it even resembles anything that’s a complete game. I dont need a polished turd, or another EVE (monotonous and simple, monumentally boring “gameplay”). Factions, yet you can’t see them? Yeah, sounds like EVE, alright. But from the sound of it, they wanna actually take it somewhere. But at the same time, i just want a game that’s more or less complete - or at least has a general framework of what the game is.

I did watch some SC 3.0 videos from Gamescon. What they want in SC 3.0 literally looks like far more game than E:D. I guess the case is closed for E:D. I don’t want another boredom simulator. I’d rather be stabbed to death in a Toys R Us bathroom than endure something even remotely similar to EVE again.

Elite dangerous is more or less complete, they’re still adding content but the core game is there, it’s not an early access game.

The factions are visible the lore is in the game, you can ignore it if you want or engage with it that’s up to you. There’s a story it’s just not about you, how involved you are with the unfolding events of the galaxy is entirely up to you. It’s not skyrim in space or anything like that and I will say that the mission system is garbage although it has improved a lot recently.

At its core its a game about flying spaceships, and if you enjoy the actual flying you will enjoy the game even if it is repedative, because the game mechanics are fun and engaging, but if you’re not in to it then it’s going to be pretty boring.

2 Likes

I am currently replaying Freelancer…
It’s a nice game, extremely difficult to obtain nowdays. There is the main storyline and there is down time to do whatever you want with an actual purpose. Different factions in Freelancer have different ships, weaponry, etc etc and being in good state with one gives you the chance to get their ships and weapons and stuff…
Anyways, may be ED have the same, but in 15 hours I haven’t seen anything interesting.
There was an expansion for Elite, that allows you to land on planets now, but I don’t really know for what purpose. ED is like a giant tech demo, but not really good game.

3 Likes