Shooting at Youtube HQ

Doctor says Mass victim, is 3 really a mass?

depends who you ask, but its just about the bare minimum

The United States’ Congressional Research Service acknowledges that there is not a broadly accepted definition, and defines a “public mass shooting”[2] as one in which four or more people selected indiscriminately, not including the perpetrator, are killed, echoing the FBI definition[3][4] of the term “mass murder”. However, according to the Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012, signed into law in January 2013, a mass shooting is defined as a shooting with at least three victims, excluding the perpetrator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shooting

1 Like

There’s no official or legal definition, but the Gun Violence Archive counts all events with 4 people shot as a mass shooting. A congressional report a couple years ago defined it as “a multiple homicide incident in which four or more victims are murdered with firearms, within one event, and in one or more locations in close proximity.” Including the shooter there were 4 shot at YouTube today but only 1 death so far, the shooter.

So you can go either way, really.

I’m not surprised that someone finally went off the deep end. There’s crazies out there, and YouTube is cracking down hard on content. You start throwing down the iron curtain like YouTube is and some people are not going to react kindly. They’ve finally pissed someone off so much, someone who doesn’t have the emotional capacity to handle it, that they reacted violently.

I’m not saying her actions are justified in any way whatsoever, I’m just saying I’m not surprised.

1 Like

Well-p, this isn’t going to go well.

This is the same shit other content creators have been complaining in the past. Dave from EEVBlog had some of this de-monetization happened to him for other reasons that are most likely vague. Who is it that Youtube nowadays serve?

This is why I’ve been thinking that the online video industry is going to fragment lately.

That said, this situation is the exact opposite of a solution. Yes, youtube hasn’t been perfect, but when your spouse misbehaves, do you stab them?

It would be nice if we could have an open discussion about issues creators are having with youtube (and if youtube would take their grievances into consideration, rather than just doing whatever), but I’m not sure that’s going to be possible given what’s happened today.

Advertisers

Sadly, some people do.

I would hope this would be somewhat of an eye-opener for them that what they’re doing to content creators is setting people off majorly. But then again…advertisers. Will YouTube come up with a decent solution? I doubt it. They’ll blame what’s on the surface instead of blaming what’s causing the outrage, just like most of the media outlets have been doing.

I have my own solution for making sure creators get their dues, but that’s a whole different topic.

1 Like

I’d be hesitant to go down this route. This is the kind of thinking people go down when they want to impose blanket changes because of a few bad individuals (like gun bans for example).

2 Likes

I don’t really see the parallels between this and gun bans though. I mean I guess they could just flat-out ban any violent content, but that would be totally counter-productive.

I don’t want them to make an hasty decisions as they get all this sorted out. I’m just talking about taking a look at what people have been complaining about for the last several years, instead of just brushing them off and hiring more PC Police and making it harder for people to make money. I’m talking about more of an awakening, not a crackdown.

1 Like

Her daily motion channel

A web page with her “rant”
http://www.nasimesabz.com/index.html

SFgate is very far left but the are not a carbon copy of “the narrative” so they are my goto site for anything in the bay area

If your employed at youtube I would find another job b4 saying squat

Has tweets from di-fi and the congresswoman from the area

2 Likes

From reddit

10 Likes

It must be a bot … this is too much to be a human … I can’t believe it …

1 Like

It is very edgy

Anyway there are links posted about her and her videos and from my point of view, she’s got visibly mental health problems, maybe she was just trying very hard to be popular. Not sure about that. No doubt she was oblivious to code, algorithms and what else that runs the youtube scene.

It’s affecting more and more people trying so hard to get popular and when they don’t make it, rage ensues

2 Likes

I agree while she was not a kid, these days people dream of being a big thing on youtube and twitch etc. When you pour so much time and energy into something. It can break you.

A woman doing a mass shooting is very unusual.

2 Likes

It’s more that Google’s decisions are not the cause of this nor is it setting people off. These are already bad or disturbed people, and Google doesn’t necessarily need to change anything because of what happened. (If what they are doing with YouTube is good or bad is a separate issue I think)

That was why I said the gun example as it’s a current example of people wanting to do something because of the actions of a few bad actors. Obviously the comparison isn’t exactly the same situation, but there’s some parallels I think to where your suggestion could go (even if it was unlikely to do so).

1 Like

What a strange woman…

1 Like

should be considered a disgruntled worker/workplace violence.