Setting Up An OpenVPN Client in pfSense

Ok, you installed pfSense and are wondering what else you can do with it.

Or, You have a VPN and want to have a few devices on a VPN but not everything on the network.

This is an easier way to manage this instead of a device by device basis. Also handy if setting up a device that would be too cumbersome to maintain.

if you haven't installed it look here:

This will be based around using Private Internet Access because that is popular and what I pay for. An OpenVPN server in the cloud or another service will work the cert and server addresses will change though.

I am going to do a little something different this guide and do it with pictures.

Let's begin

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip

This gibberish is the certificate that is trusted as an authority.

User Name and Password of VPN

Edit @Dexter_Kane added some more info for using other VPN servers:

Dulplicate all other WAN interfaces and Apply changes

OK, we got OpenVPN up and running now to assign devices

Do the same changing the alias and gateway for your non VPN devices and apply changes

Thats it!

Double check the IP's of your device so they are correct

Have problems? Comments? Easier way?

7 Likes

@MFZuul & @wendell There made the guide. Happy now?

4 Likes

Very

1 Like

What is cli net ?

idk

where

in the title :) Thought maybe it was a linux term I was not familiar with ?

1 Like

Client, typo guess there has to be one on a guide this long.

Fixed though

1 Like

Cool guide. I used a youtube video series to setup OpenVPN but its cool to have another good, comprehensive resource on how to do this. Good guide!

2 Likes

I still am correcting mine :)

2 Likes

Awesome guide, thanks for that.
Keep up the good work!.

I would add that you can make this guide universal quite easaly. All you need to do is open the .ovpn file from whatever service you're using and match the configuration. Any options that don't appear in the GUI can be added in the advanced section with a semi colon separating each one. For example:

1 Like

I did make mention of other VPN servers but I didn't go into detail. Do you mind if I add your post to the main one?

Sure

1 Like

Added and thanks

2 Likes

Nice write up, I'm planning to setup my pfSense box as an OpenVPN client sometime this year when I get some time but I'll likely wait until after 2.4 is released before I do it.

1 Like

I was thinking open vpn just recently updated their client.