Hello, so as recommended by @BKV I am opening a separate topic to adress my numerous dillemas concerning build of a server dedicated for AI usage.
Specific purpose of build is working on Deep learning, e.g. training GANs and training NLP models (mostly fine-tuning larger ones).
Budget which I consider is around 2000€, at most but would like, far less(if possible) for motheboard and CPU(I am from Europe).
I will gradually upgrade the hardware, so I will probably start with 2 RTX3090 and work my way toward A6000 and others. At the moment I posses Thermaltake view 51 case and a decent PSU(it will be upgraded as I add gpus…).
I have 1Gb internet speed so like 120MB download speed at the location and I would like to make an (energy)efficient system as much as it can be.
I will most certainly use large workloads(in whatever context we consider it).
I will probably be the only user of server for some foreseeable future(1Y).
Total cost will be more than 10k€ until the end of next year(with gradual improvements)…
- Why are the new server builds(from stores) so expensive compared to the ones ‘we’ build using partpicker for example?
- What is the catch with PSU-s with over 2k Watts?
- What is the catch with different size PCIe slots on motheboards? Why some (premium) motheboards have all slots x16 if the riser cable should ‘Nullize’ the performance difference when used?
- Is it worth paying extra hundreds of euros for those premium looking motheboards, or something like H13SSL-N(for epyc zen4) is more than enough? Will I have some notable difference between those mid-range/high-end motheboards for my specific purpose?
- Is it worth going for a newest generation of a cpu, or is a better trade-off going with older one in same price range with e.g. more cores and whatnot(for example milan gen has same price for 16/32 c/t as rome for 32/64) *for my specific purpose?
- What about ordering CPUs from China? What are the risks? Is it worth it?
- How big of impact the AVX-512 present when comparing cpus(In % if possible)? Is the AVX-2 enough(When comparing genoa series with milan which is far cheaper atm).
- What is the optimal number of cpu cores per gpu for purpose of some sort of loading batches in AI for example, or generally for AI?
- Do I get Pooled memory when I use NVlink between GPUs?
- Are these (server) cpus overclockable in case I need some extra Mhz?
- How does genoa 9124 compare to a w5-2465 with 16/32(c/t)? How about third gen intel xeon? How about gen from 2020.?
- What is the optimal bang for buck at this point within my price range for the specific purpose?
- What about riser cables with pcie5.0?
- Cooling? is the water cooling absolutely necessary? Some alternative?
Thanks for help in advance.