Separate secondary cache with Unraid

I just finished building a unraid build…
SuperMicro CSE-846 24 Bay SAS2 BP Server w/ X9DRi-F/2x -$362.63
Replaced the CPUS with dual Intel Xeon E5-2670 -$86.62
32GB 10600R RAM -$38.92
16GB 10600R RAM Salvaged -$0
HPE H240 12GB 2-PORTS INT SMART HBA CARD replaces PCI-2 Card -$37.89
512GB m2 and 480GB sata SSD -$120.13
24 4TB HDDS Salvaged -$0
Unraid license -30 day demo

Right now i am sitting at $646.19 But i am slowly stumbling through unraid - its a fun project to learn. I know I have some old horses in those E5s but for a plex server and some minor vms i think unraid will chug along pretty well.

Right now i am using the PCI NVME as fast cache and the sdd is doing nothing now. I want to use the Sata SDD as second cache but it looks like unraid just barley supports that, since I would rather the dockers sit in the ssd rather than the NVME. I have 22 drives as one pool and 2 drives as parity.

Any suggestions???

I think you could add this disk to the array and not as a cache disk and then specify that you want the containers to go there and not get cached. then they should operate out of just that SSD. You’ll want to make sure that disk gets excluded from other data as well. Its not the ideal solution but it does what you want within the limitations of unraid.

Are you using ZFS pool or the one built into the GUI?

he is not using zfs. I asked him previously from the other thread.

2 Likes

I am using unraid as configured out of the box. I understand its slower than freenas but it seems to be easier to use. So its a time vs it works solution at the moment.

thats why I’m on it myself. I have enough money… I dont always have enough time. Sometimes its worth it.

Looks like i found something, Unassigned Devices Plugin, will try it later today and see if it fixes my woes.