Second GPU running at PCIe 1.0 x8

My 2 GPUs are as follows:

• Asrock 6900XT Phantom Gaming D running at PCIe 4.0 @ x8
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB running at PCIe 1.0 @ x8

UEFI definitely sees this card as a 3.0 card, but not sure why it’ll only let it run at 1.0 instead of 3.0.

Forgot to mention I’m using X570S Aorus Master

Anyway I can make the system make it use 3.0 (or 2.0 at least)?

What motherboard is it running in? If you have other peripherals on the PCH like a lot of data drives the board may default to a x1 slot.

X570S Aorus Master

That thought crossed my mind before, and I moved my NVME from the one connected to the CPU to the motherboard chipset.

In addition, aside from my 2TB 980 Pro, my data drives are all SATA (2 SSDs & 2 HDDs)

Have you made sure your BIOS is the newest? I’d also say check the cards running singles in each slot to make sure they run fine solo and if they run fine solo in both slots to ensure there isn’t an issue with a slot. Outside that did you study the boards lane break out before hand to ensure there wouldn’t be some stupid gotcha? I run dual GPU as well FYI, but not on that board.

When I updated my MOBO’s BIOS, I double checked and it was running on 3.0 x8 (I remember that being the case when I first set this up prior to updating my BIOS because I wasn’t sure how the both GPUs will bifurcate the lanes). However, after I logged in, it’s back to running at 1.0 x8.

Haven’t crossed this myself, but do remember old reviews of mobo’s with “PCI lane limitations” (if you use SATA0-1 etc you will get a cut down in speed for the PCI-E lanes). So I would get that mobo manual.

I double checked that. And that affects the PCIe lane connected to the motherboard chipset, not the one connected to the CPU (at least that’s what mine says).

Hum. There are a few things here, that worry me:

1. Two (completely?) different GPUs. I know it’s not SLI, but still.
  2. Aorus/Gigabyte. Have bad experience with their products, at least in the section of mobo’s - badly (really badly) polished products (I got a “New shortcut1” and “New shortcut2” for the Killer software/drivers… plus an awful update utility… and bios flash… and bios flash back… and dual bios… and on-board sound drivers… hm, where was I?).

I would think that MAYBE you have a low end CPU, which is producing a bottleneck, but the mobo price crosses out that version.

Maybe a faulty cpu/gpu/ram connect? (which you didn’t notice till this moment. Also not very possible.

I would try two directions:

1. Contact AMD’s support and ask if such a scenario is somehow possible from their side. Would suggest the same for Gigabyte, but, like I’ve said, really dislike them…
  2. Try to debug manually - leave the “bare bone” mobo+cpu+system drive+1 ram stick (wow, I just recalled I had issues with ram slots on a gigabyte mobo as well). Try one GPU at a time at both slots. And go from there.

Ryzen 9 5900X

aah. That’ll be difficult. The O11 Dynamic XL is heavy. Although I know for a fact that when I first started, I had issues with few of my fans (not Gigabyte’s fault), and I was primarily using my GTX 1060 for testing since it’s tiny and more out of the way compared to the 6900XT. I checked and it was running at 3.0 at x8.

That’s the kinda gotcha I mentioned when I asked if he had checked his mobo for lane break down.

@Draaksward I’m running two different GPU’s just fine. I’ve been running mismatched GPU’s since the ISA days. ;p

I don’t think the lane had a breakdown cuz I was using my 1060 when I was doing and waiting for fan replacements.

@YamiYukiSenpai did you try the GPU’s solo in each slot to ensure both slots run wide open normally?

Yup.

Aight well was worth a try. Your initial post didn’t mention if your BIOS was current or if you knew both slots are fine in single GPU use. Sadly I kinda have to echo the Gigabyte sucks. I know they get a lot of praise for their boards these days but honestly as a former OEM Gigabyte was pretty much Gigadead most times.

Honestly I’d suspect because the one GPU auto allocates to PCIe4 the boards lane config probably nerfs all the others. If you can’t force the spec in BIOS you may be SOL. If you can set the main slot to PCIe gen 3 and see if the second GPU comes up in gen.

I should’ve mentioned I did all that beforehand. But thanks for helping me

Dual/Triple GPU is kinda my thing because of how many screens I run for my workflow. Sadly though buying a motherboard is a small minefield anymore as they try to hide the lane breakdown gotchas. I see a lot of 570 boards saying dual GPU in their marketing BS but never define what that means. I mean ANY “more than one” PCIe slot board can be “dual GPU” so wtf are they getting at?

Crossfire/SLI? I know my board supports the former, and not the latter (odd considering this one looks more premium than Aorus Elite).

I understand that, but you came across the “road of pain” :slight_smile:
Don’t think that it’l be settled easy (and if it’s a water loop…).
But the more I think of it, the less I believe in this version…

I assumed that it should be fine, but since I didn’t come across this in person, wasn’t 100% sure about it. Thanks, now I know :slight_smile:

Agree on this one. Worth a shot.

@YamiYukiSenpai SLI (nVidia) and Crossfire (AMD/Radeon) are the same thing. Just nVidia vs AMD/Radeon naming because you know they have to be different despite being the same thing. Just a stupid bridge to connect more than one GPU so they can render together…which never worked out well and IMO just wasted resources.

I run my GPU’s separate so I can delegate workloads. ATM I have Blender/GIMP/Inkscape/Reaper running on one GPU and Unity and the game on another. That way you can bag the dog crap outta one and continue working on the other without lag or stutters.