Second GPU running at PCIe 1.0 x8

For the 16x slot you should be able to specify the generation under Miscellaneous → PCIE16X Slot Configuration

I was referring to the 2nd GPU, but I did know that one exists

Did you try to force the first slot/AMD card to PCIe Gen 3 and see if that allows the second slot to choose something more than 1? Like I said I suspect if the board is auto allocating the Radeon card is telling it GIVE ME EVERYTHING SCREW ANYTHING ELSE. If you force it to gen3 it might allow the second slot to run 2 or 3.

1 Like

That I haven’t. I’ll give that a go later

The 16X and 8X slots are both connected to the CPU. So it doesn’t matter which GPU is in which slot if you’re running them both at 8x. Might be worth a try swapping and forcing the 16X slot to Gen3

Yeah that’s another good idea if the BIOS doesn’t allow him to decide.

Have you made sure the contacts are in pristine condition and there are no physical damages to either the port nor the card? You said that you made sure of this by switching around the cards, and this is wild guessing, but PCIe strikes me as one of those technologies that does some kind of handshake to negotiate the connection standard and power delivery. My guess would be that somehow the handshake fails and falls back to generation 1 speeds. Are you certain that both GPUs work in the other slot and that only the one GPU does not work in the second slot. I would debug this by trying out all 6 possible configurations and provide us with the results.

1. GPU1 in slot1
  2. GPU1 in slot2
  3. GPU2 in slot1
  4. GPU2 in slot2
  5. GPU1 in slot1 and GPU2 ins slot2
  6. GPU2 in slot1 and GPU1 in slot2
1 Like

I think the reason why it wasn’t working at max capacity because it wasn’t being used. It’s currently running the way it’s supposed to after I passed it to the Windows VM.

1 Like

Open up gpu-z, the on the side it’ll say run render test, run it and check the lane speed, probably just a typo, remember all mobos are made in Taiwan or China and English probably isn’t their first language

1 Like

Passed to the VM? Sounds like your initial question left out a ton of pertainant details.

I was only able to accomplish that last night.

I don’t know why, but according to GPU-Z, it initially registered as PCIe 3.0 at x8, then went down to just “PCI Express”. It hovers.

2 Likes

This is normal behavior if you have pcie power management enabled and the card is not doing anything.

Load it up with a transcode or other tasks and reload gpuz to see if it ramps up

Or disable pcie power management

3 Likes

Is it normal for audio to be crackling? The only way I managed to get around that is if I don’t use the 1060 for audio output.

Yesterday, it was working. Now, I can’t get audio to passthrough to host.

For host audio, I’m using my motherboard’s audio, not host GPU.

Have you tried a different cable

What cable? For audio?

I’m currently plugged in using S/PDIF cable, which works with just stuff playing on the host side. I can’t remember how I got stuff playing from the VM’s side.

When using the 1060 for audio, audio crackling usually means you don’t have enough bandwidth on the cable for some reason, like damaged or quality of the cable isn’t good enough

Not using a cable. It’s plugged directly to the motherboard.

I noticed that if my Win11 VM is using NVIDIA’s audio driver instead of passing through my system, the system lags significantly, even on the desktop where everything seems to load slowly & especially noticeable when I was playing Halo: Infinite.

I have turned of ASPM from the BIOS.

this board doesnt have pci-e 1.0
so likely what your seeing is the gpu is set to pci-e 1 x 8 which is just basically the card is enumerated and wating for use.
when its in use it will switch to pci-e x16 or x8 depending on which slot its in.