Second CPU (Ext.) not shown anymore | AM4 | AsRock Taichi X470 (Ryzen) & Ryzen 7 2200G

What a frustrating affair. But maybe somebody here knows something I don’t. :wink:

So basically I built a new AM4 based system a few weeks ago to replace my aged X99 platform on which three motherboards in row seemed to have kicked the bucket (ASUS X99-deluxe, Gigabyte X99-UD4, ASUS X99-PRO)

And I wouldn’t be me, if before you can blink I hadn’t absolutely destroyed two CPUs (3700x and 3800x) because shipping damage on the first one and apparently thermal paste is sticky AF and ripping the CPU out of the socket with the Noctua NHD-15S is not conducive to all pins being in tact for the second one – who would have guessed /s.

While I thankfully could still use one of the AM4 CPUs – even with four missing pins due to my mistakes trying to bend them back and breaking them off – it meant that RAM slot 3 and 4 were now unusable with it (In fact the PC won’t even start with anything in them with that one.)

Coming from the X99 boards 64 GBs of RAM (8x 8GB Kingston Hyper X Fury 2666 MHz DDR4) I already have to make huge compromises in my setup, given that the AM4 only has 4 slots for a maximum of 4 x 8GB if I want to reuse the RAM, which as you can imagine is not acceptable to me.

Thankfully I found someone who has a lot of experience and is willing to take a crack at fixing one – if not even both – of the CPUs for me. The 3800x just has two bent pins of which I only bent one back myself so far since the other is two risky for me, so I remain hopeful…

In the meantime I still have an 2200G which I needed originally to flash a newer bios onto the board so the 3700x would even be recognized in the first place.

Now with the 2200G in the board again and the other CPUs shipped to my repair contact dude, suddenly my second external GPU is not showing anymore when it’s connected to the second steel-hardened RAM slot. I have no idea why and I don’t use the second M.2 space on the board. I also can’t tighten the cooler completely because then I get a dd error code on the Dr.Debug LED of the Asrock Taichi if I try anything but just a very lose fit regardless of which RAM sticks of my eight I am using, as well as which combination of the I am trying them. Is this normal? Do you have any tips left I am beginning to lose my mind?

All pins seem OK to me and flashing back to UEFI BIOS 3.5 from 10.10 and 10.11 didn’t change that either.

Please help. :smiley:

Cheers

goldsteal

• At least this point is normal behavior: Unfortunately Ryzen 2000G and 3000G APUs (both are Zen+) only have 16 PCIe Gen3 lanes in total (8 to the top PCIe slot, 4 to AM4’s default M.2 NVMe CPU PCIe slot and 4 internally to the motherboard chipset). Zen 2 4000G and Zen 3 5000G APUs have 24 PCIe lanes like the regular non-APU CPU models, but PCIe Bifurcation support is a bit limited in comparison.

• Update your BIOS again after you have a “fixed” Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 CPU again, there are many BIOS fixes for Ryzen CPUs with Zen 2 and Zen 3 and for some reason these latest BIOSes can have issues with older Zen 1 or Zen+ CPUs.

Thank you for your answer. This at least alleviates my worries. The board COULD be ok after all, that is a HUGE relief. I feared I broke something by not having it in a case properly right now because obviously I would have to rip everything out again when the “real” Zens come back…

Will do the UEFI BIOS update again when the 3800x comes back.

So if it is a lane limit could I disable the onboard GPU?

No, as soon as a 2000G or 3000G APU is installed in an AM4 motherboard the second “large” CPU PCIe Slot (x8) is going to be dead.

This angers me greatly when thinking about AM5 Zen 4 8000G APUs: As mentioned with Zen 2 4000G and Zen 3 5000G APUs you’ve reached parity in the amount of PCIe lanes…

…and with 8000G APUs they again have 8 lanes less than the regular CPU models (again the second large x8 PCIe slot is going to be dead until at least Zen 5 AM5 APUs :frowning: )

1 Like

Yeah, I figured as much. I share your irritation. That is just plain stupid. Especially because in my hyper-virtualised setup having a “free” GPU would actually be kind of useful. The fact that I can’t even decide is even more maddening.

I wonder why I didn’t find this in testing, I could’ve sworn that I had a GPU working in that slot WITH the 2200G. But I might remember wrong…

A small improvement at least is that every AM5 CPU also has at least a basic iGPU, but am still pissed about the situation, see also:

1 Like