Scrapping: I FOUND MORE SHIT YAY

I managed to find the worst dell laptop ever. An Inspiron 1000. Actually 2 of them.

Somehow these stupid things can address ram still. Its ridiculous. And heres why

Specs: Celeron 2.20GHZ
Some shit intel GPU
up to 1.25 GB ram (in these units, in other units they have 2 ram slots but these only have 1)
256 mb ram onboard
1024x768? (not sure, maybe bigger? o:)
A02 BIOS (I will flash to A06).

Again, if it had 2 ram slots in there, and theres actually a dedicated space were they took it off the board, it could do 2 gigs. I made one work, the other is scrap parts. From looking around in it it looks like the alternative model to this one is a work station laptop. Theres headers for two hard drives and space for a bigger heatsink, so this thing was around in the 1 year 5 month period mobile pentium 4's were new before the pentium M's came and replaced them while intel took their fist out of their ass and made actual mobile CPU's instead of flashing "LAPTOP-P4" on molten lava CPU's.

Also don't pick one of these up if its at a shop. Not for email, web, not even MP3's. I have one for a few experiments and as a notbook to toy with AROS.

Just don't.

But I thought I'd point out that this is a weird thing. A thing I am not happy to own at all, but I do anyways. As with basically all of my experiments....

Oh, and I found this in a bin.

a 9800 GTX. Not a plus, and not a match to the other one I have, but it was in a bin.

1 Like

have parts might make one work ?

I mean I got one working. I just don't care that much and need a better power supply.

fun....

What will you do with them though?

One is a pile and I can't do anything, nor will I fix it because celerons. The other I will put AROS on it after I find a power supply to charge the damn thing. Both of the batteries are good so thats worth the time to find a cable.

You should be able to use any laptop power supply if you feel like doing some soldering.... pretty much they all use the same voltage. (check to make sure though lol)

Fun... what will you do with it then?

This is why I hate living in New Hampshire. There are no companies, no scrapyards, no dumpsters that could possibly have any hardware in them, certainly not near where I live.

Use it as an amiga. Dev some stuff maybe? I dunno. It only has 30 GB of HDD space so I might just use it for derping around at college. Make a unified cloud system to work with AROS OSX and linux. Kek.

I just go to local shops and make relationships. Getting the trust of a company to come in, say "I'm going to go dig in the shit pile" and have them go "Yeah whatever" took me 2 years.

1 Like

You make me laugh.

You're lucky....

Big company IT companies have to control their "waste" carefully because all the hardware is registered and if it's found in the wrong land-fill it can be traced back to them resulting in unwanted fines.

Fancy people and their amazon have no concept of repairs, therefore are not worth being around. You should move

These came out of a metals shop. Not really lucky, their full of metal chips. BRB gunna blow them out.

will move. To Japan. Akihabara is there, so I will never need dumpster diving ever again. But not yet.

Fucking weeb.
Send me feesh.

Am not weeb. Am fox loli :3 bites

I like that 9800 lol. I'm a sucker for old gpus.

What can you do with them? Maybe decorate a wall?

1 Like

I use them >.>

for what?