Scrapping: I FOUND MORE SHIT YAY

Furries are just as bad =w= floofs tails

Old rigs. I took a Dell XPS Gen 3 case and put a dell 670 workstation board in it. I'm looking for a 690 tho. Can do 12 cores and 2 GPU's. :D

1 Like

When I lived in Santa Ana CA there were tons of second hand stuff. Of course there were gangs and crime and literally the mountains only became visible after it rained.
Rt 16 through ossipee was like nirvana for antique buffs, and the wood sculptures, and the tree table tops. Not to mention first snow on the white mountains. I loved just driving through there.

Some of my old stuff came from banks. you would not believe what was left on the HD's

3 Likes

An update: The machine has 768 MB ram, a 30 GB HDD, and AROS installed. That Celeron actually holds up WAY better than the Pentium M in my HP laptop... AROS feels VERY snappy on the unit. Specifically I am using Icaros.

Now if you have never looked at Aros before you'll be confused. 30 GB HDD? Why not biggar! YUNO 1.25 GB RAM!?!?!?!

Aros is basically Amiga OS 3.5 brought up to date and pushed way farther than it needs to be and it runs on X86. On boot I use 2 of the 6 mb of video ram and when I use a GBA emulator the GPU just grabs 32 MB off of the ram. The most ram the machine will ever use on a normal basis is like 130 MB. Standard programs for an amiga OS are barely a megabyte, though apps like abiword have been ported and take more ram. However it will never use a concerning amount of ram.

The screen is crisp and clear, though I can see that the track pad is garbage (I don't use them anyways...) and USB mice are auto-connected when you plug in. My G600 works just as easily as a PS2 mouse. Keyboard is meh, but whatever. Despite the laptop being from like 2005, it has EGA on it. For some reason dell decided to use a Silicon Foundation INC GPU on the unit and they're from like 95. Solid. I can play movies and whatever on it, but nothing past 360p. Definitely no youtube, and for a machine that is going to do AROS dev stuff and GBA emulators I don't care if the thing ever even goes on the internet. At that, I can't load any video modes except VESA. No VGA, and the native mode doesn't do anything either. This is a GPU limitation as far as I can tell. Oh well I guess.

Lastly, the power plug gets hot. The batteries that I have are good, its just the circuit on these machines seem to get hot for no reason and both of the units do this. I even got the exact plug for the laptop today but its still hot as fuck. I'm going to the maker faire in detroit tomorrow and I wanted an AROS machine to go with me, thats the main reason I started this project, so I'm going to plug the unit in and lean it against the AC. Not like it will explode if its cold :P

So the celeron, while being a celeron, is actually really REALLY nice. For what it is. I was surprised that it even met my standard of over 2.1 GHZ (this applies to machines that I acquire. Note that machines like my netbook, lenny, and the HP are 1.67 GHZ. This is as fast as they go and no hacks can be done to jump the clock rate up. Not OC, literally force it higher. I count it as OC if its an option). I'm relatively surprised that it even passed the GPU benchmark, though it was using VGA 3D objects and wouldn't display anything but garbled garbage until the text based tests.

So, let me know what you want to see me do with this thing! If you want me to do a Why in the World thread for celerons let me know! It won't be very long, nor should it be (celerons aren't very exciting TBH), let me know anyways.

:D

i pulled a dual core amd APU system, dual socket 771 server, a phenom 1045t, hd 6450, and like 10 gbs of ddr3 and 8 gb of ddr2 ram from a local place. i could have got more but they didnt want me walking over old TVs.

could i get at that 6 core 1045t?

i already have is promised to sell to someone. if i still have it at the end of august. ill be sure to hit u up.

1 Like

Founds OP's next project.

2 Likes

nope