Saving GPU with dead display outputs (RX 480)

can you maybe mark what vrms you checked on a picture ?
And there is one oscilator for display outs, i thought hdmi only, but who knows.

Its that shiny golden square right beside the GPU Core. You should measure like 1.6V out off one of it its legs.

I recently pulled it out again. An active DP adapter works; can play Fortnite just like I did when it was new; still won’t display BIOS.

I’m looking at installing it my server board that also has onboard video, so it’d at least still be fully functional. Maybe one of the better E5 V1 or V2 Xeons will pair decently with it. Then My Ryzen system can be general/stream use and for everything else. Some of the audio stuff I do ads latency… obviously not good for gaming. Won’t matter if I get the Steam Deck and it turns out as good as I hope or better.

With my current understanding of display interfaces, I don’t understand why there’d be an oscillator, considering that all the signals have a different frequency depending on resolution.

I could see that oscillator being relavent to my problem if it handled the PCIe serial communication. Similar to how the EEPROMs on DRAM work. RAM wouldn’t need to be working to pull that data, and the EEPROM wouldn’t need to work for RAM to work. That would explain not working in BIOS but working once windows get’s ahold of it directly. Doesn’t explain display output problems; but maybe the faulty monitor PSU killed both. I seen datasheets for simlar parts mentioning HD audio use, but 27,000,000 isn’t devided evenly by standard audio sample rates.

Turns out the serial pins I thought mattered for POST are just shorted together on the card.

I still can’t imagine it matters for video out or anything to do with audio, but the initial clock that get’s the card started, sure.

Yeah, I think this points in the right direction.

Also seen mention of 27MHz crystal/oscillator death bricking a 1080.

If I knew I could just pull it off and it never go to idle, I would.

This sure doesn’t help. Ghetto cooler mount ripped this thing up today. Pulled pads from PCB. Looks fixable though. Would be great if I slightly fucked it up a while ago… doubt I’d be so lucky to have this be the fix.

Well, it ain’t pretty… it also doesn’t make the card function right, so…

1 Like

Do you have an nvidia card, you can use my Tesla method just change the values so that the amd card is the high performance, or use beta builds of windows 11 which let you pick which GPU you want to render, which still needs a Nvidia gpu

Oh, it’s more fucked now. BSODs, hard locks, and code 43s now.

After deductive speculation, I’d say maybe the primary purpose of the oscillator is a real time clock to validate target frequencies, which could include display out. If it’s been degrading, that would explain outputs failing, then as it get’s worse, maybe the GPU thinks it’s running way too fast or too slow and fails from that. Shot in the dark speculation though.
EDIT: or the harder failure is PCIe timing/frequency.

Hypothetically, if I got a Tesla and wanted the output to go through my HD6770. Should be “fine”? If I even had 2 working cards to test that before buying, I’d just go through the steps before hand.

It’s typically better to use igpu or a Nvidia card since opengl apps like Minecraft will still render on the host card

But if you get your 480 “working” you can get like a gt 740 and back Optimus and use the 480 as the high performance card

For teslas you need a board with above 4g decoding and x99 or newer

I have a Ryzen 1700X and the BIOS has the above 4G decoding option. I don’t think the 480 is going to happen anymore.

This is one I’d recommend, if it doesn’t work out for you can always sell it for a decent price, this takes a CPU eps 8pin, please do not use a PCI-e connector

This is my thread

That’s the model I was looking at, except the one with the ordinary bracket. Thanks, I’ll check that thread.

Just remembered my dead R9 390. It has a 27MHz clock I can swap for the hell of it… tomorrow though.

Failed. Calling it a lost cause now.