Return to Level1Techs.com

Saving GPU with dead display outputs (RX 480)

There must be something I can do in software to emulate the effects of having a monitor plugged in so the card renders an output that can be sent somewhere else. The dongles aren’t an option in this case; it doesn’t even detect monitors when plugged in.

0 Likes

a kernel argument for amdgpu allows this

virtual_display (charp)

Set to enable virtual display feature. This feature provides a virtual display hardware on headless boards or in virtualized environments. It will be set like xxxx:xx:xx.x,x;xxxx:xx:xx.x,x. It’s the pci address of the device, plus the number of crtcs to expose. E.g., 0000:26:00.0,4 would enable 4 virtual crtcs on the pci device at 26:00.0. The default is NULL.

you may also be able to make use of virtual GL
https://www.virtualgl.org/

2 Likes

is it really working compute wise ?

So is it confirmed that the rest of the card is good ?

0 Likes

you can always remove and solder on a new hmdi/display port/whatever. solder is cheap, ebay parts are cheap, guides are on youtube and its not exactly difficult. heat up remove add solder put new one where the old one was. if it doesnt work heat it up again and try again. you get to learn a new valuable skill out of it too.

0 Likes

RDP / VNC and force-set a resolution.

0 Likes

Hopefully that’s noob friendly. Sounds smart. I don’t even know wtf a kernel arguement is, so…

0 Likes

idk. Device manager shows it. When displays quit, the PC didn’t hardlock.

0 Likes

Physically everything is fine. As far as i can tell.

0 Likes

Maybe, the 0.95 Rail for the Display outs died. if the vddc 0.95V rail died, you wouldn’t get anything since that is for the memory controller.

0 Likes