Ryzen Laptops That Are Coming Out

The 12GB RAM sounds like a better deal, no?

The HP can handle 32 GB of ram and ram prices are skydiving ATM. Just wait.

1 Like

Not impressed with the 15z’s screen brightness… apparently its not good.

Holding one in hand, yeah its not going to be good out in the middle of a field mid-day, but its not like it doesn’t function. Its about as bright as any thinkpad I’ve used.

It really depends on which panel you get. Check in device manager. HP uses at least 4 different panels in the same model… luck of the draw. If you got the LG or AUO panels, you’re probably ok. The Chi Mei is absolute sh!t – low brightness and terribly yellow-shifted colors.

And then there’s quality control. Some have really bad backlight bleeding.

There are 4 different machines. 2 have bad panels and are the lowest spec, 1 his the best panel but barely any windows ink pickup, 1 is all around balls to the walls amazing but the screen is about as bright as a thinkpad’s.

I haven’t seen any issues just pay attention to the model number when you pick one up.

What do you mean 4 different machines? I’m talking about the same model and model #. The panels vary.

And yeah the touchscreen/pen sensitivity also seemed inconsistent between identical models with different panels.

Is there a guide as to which models have shitty screens and which don’t or is it really a crapshoot?

In my experience in Canada it was a crapshoot with model 15-bq108ca. I bought one which had extremely bad backlight bleeding and other quality control issues, but the panel’s (AUO) brightness and colors were fine to my eyes. Exchanged it for another one, and this time backlight bleeding and QC issues were ok, but the panel (Chi Mei) brightness/colors were aweful. I had enough of playing roulette and decided to wait for a better revision.

Other weird issues include a webcam that has purple colors in natural lighting (also an issue on other HPs that use the same webcam).

Aside, not exclusive to HP or this model: know that this model has LoJack. Whether it’s activated might depend on the model/bundle or be an optional feature you can buy. Some might like it, and others might hate having a backdoor built in to their system. From what I’ve read, once you enable it in BIOS it can never be disabled.

I only have experience with Acer laptop from 2005 - 2006

It was amazing laptop for it’s time. I had a an Intel model but it looked identical to the one in this picture. Everytime the temperature went too high it would shut down it self to prevent hardware damage. It still works today but I broke the hinges.

I mean S/N then Type. Like how you can have a thinkpad T520 type 2442, 2444, and 2446. Same thing with these 15z’s.

There’s only one model/type/etc available here: it’s the 15-bq108ca.

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on something this weekend with Father Day deals but looks like I’ll wait, may wait for July 4th sales and give a bit more time for the screens on the 15z to mature.

15z has been out for a year now you’re better off to watch what shipments come in at the stores.

Problem is B&M’s aren’t exactly carrying many Ryzen laptops. Here is what I have:

MicroCenter - NONE
BestBuy - 2:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-era-gray/6208228.p?skuId=6208228

Only other one is the Ryzen 7 model w/12GB for 699.

Fry’s: ONE for 850 and thats with spinning hard drive.

Problem is B&M’s haven’t bought into Ryzen yet, but you want Intel laptops… holy fuck lord do they have them.

I have not seen any way to distinguish the models with the good/bad panels. Maybe it’s different in different markets. Best thing is to buy from a retailer with a good return period/policy. Sometimes that means directly from HP (30 day returns, free shipping).

I want this with radeon gpu and less RAM to being the cost down. Also Black and Silver or Silver and blue version would be lovely.

Personally I’m waiting for the HP Elitebook 755 g5 (15") to come out. There’s also the 745 and 735 with 14" and 13.3" displays respective, all with 2500u or 2700u apus I do believe.

1 Like

I’ll have to pay attention to the 14 inch one.

Expandable to 32GB RAM. Nice.