Ryzen Hypervisor Build - x470 Asrock Taichi Ultimate

I can’t restart VM. I am running esxi from usb device that might be whats causing the passthru.map to not persist. I was able to modify for the graphics card. I will try installing esxi in SATA ssd and see if that changes anything.

I am running off a SATA SSD as well, so by all means try it. I got this working with ESXi 6.7U2 (I’ve not tested it with 6.5)

Ok, installing in sata ssd does not work either. I can confirm that update to passthru.map is persisting across reboots which is a plus.

I get Module ‘DevicePowerOn’ power on failed. which is the same error I was getting for gpu before I changed the passthru.map which fixed it. However, for the USB controller it does not appear to be working. I have confirmed vendor id and device id from pci device list and double confirmed with vmx file.

Also, this is esxi 6.7u2.

Are those USB ports the only ones you can passthrough in the GUI? It does need to be set to ‘Active’ in there AND be in the passthru.map file. For the Taichi Ultimate and Ryzen 1st gen, those USB ports were in the same IOMMU group as the TPM chip

Yeah, thats the only one that will change to active. Others stay in pending reboot forever even after activating and rebooting multiple times.

I have ordered two pcie usb cards. Waiting to see how I go with it. It will cost me one pcie x8 though. Which I could have used to passthrough quad nic for security onion vm :frowning:

An optional workaround for that would be to add the card to the PCIe 2.0 x4 slot, setup your virtual networking to use the card’s ports, and then run the VM that way.

I will be using that for the 10Gb Nic to be used with esxi storage.

Ah alrighty. Good use

Ok, so getting https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MTZZP5E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 card worked for esxi.

I feel like its still a waste of one pcie x8 though. But works for now. Will try to change motherboeard in futher with atleast 3 x8 lanes connected to cpu. But working great now will need to save for 3900x and 64gb memory. Thank you for your insigt 2bitmarksman!

No worries, good luck and have fun!

Hi,

sorry to jump.

I just got the same board (x470 Taichi Ultimate) I upgraded to BIOS P3.30 and now cannot see any iommu groups which I saw with P1.5. I think enabled everything back in the BIOS so not sure what is going on here.

I am running Fedora 30.

[user0@localhost ~]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 5.2.7-200.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 8 05:35:29 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Running the below script from wendell’s post produces no output at all

#!/bin/bash
shopt -s nullglob
for d in /sys/kernel/iommu_groups//devices/; do
n={d#*/iommu_groups/*}; n={n%%/}
printf 'IOMMU Group %s ’ "n" lspci -nns "{d##
/}"
done;

I don’t see anything in iommu_groups either

user0@localhost iommu_groups] pwd /sys/kernel/iommu_groups [user0@localhost iommu_groups] ll
total 0
[user0@localhost iommu_groups]$

any ideas?

Found it.

Hi, i have also esxi build in mind, can i ask you for some tips?

BR Rok

By all means :slight_smile: